Back to Design Principles: an Introduction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Design Principles: an Introduction by University of California San Diego

What makes an interface intuitive? How can I tell whether one design works better than another? This course will teach you fundamental principles of design and how to effectively evaluate your work with users. You'll learn fundamental principles of visual design so that you can effectively organize and present information with your interfaces. You'll learn principles of perception and cognition that inform effective interaction design. And you'll learn how to perform and analyze controlled experiments online. In many cases, we'll use Web design as the anchoring domain. A lot of the examples will come from the Web, and we'll talk just a bit about Web technologies in particular. When we do so, it will be to support the main goal of this course, which is helping you build human-centered design skills, so that you have the principles and methods to create excellent interfaces with any technology....

PV
Nov 21, 2019

The course was simple and crisp yet covered it all - interaction, visual and usability. Liked the duration of the videos followed by reading material that covered the highlights of the topic.

NS
Mar 16, 2016

The basic principles of design and their philosophies were covered well in this course, and it was taught in a quick, efficient manner. I liked undergoing this course and would recommend it.

101 - 125 of 167 Reviews for Design Principles: an Introduction

Dec 10, 2018

GREAT

By SAPUTRA B I

Oct 19, 2020

Good

By Yuzhifei

Oct 30, 2018

I

By deepika j

Sep 1, 2015

e

By Siddharth S

Sep 1, 2017

Great overview of a lot of design topics! Like Scott himself says, this is a great starting point for someone who is not a designer himself. Not sure if it is feasible, but some of the topics could be more detailed. Yes - Scott does mention books that can be referred for further reading. But if the course could include pull-outs / key chapters from those books - it could be very useful as I am not sure how many of us will get a chance to go through complete books.

Overall - loved the exposure. Especially enjoyed the part on designing experiments.

By Vazgen B

Apr 11, 2016

This is a great course with tons of valuable info. The peer-review projects are very hands-on, and you learn a lot by doing that. However, I wish there were more explanations for certain things (for example, for the experiments section) - or at least, more resources to get further info. Also, for Assignment 3, it would have been very helpful to have the answer key, since there is some confusion around some of the answers.

By Jeff M

Aug 22, 2017

Overall the information and exercises were good. The introduction to A/B testing was great and provides a good base layer of knowledge for the experimenting and analysis section of the IxD program. I would say that the week 3 assignment was frustrating as a grader since the rubric seemed to ask for very specific answers when the questions allowed for broader interpretation.

By Azusa W

Oct 23, 2017

The exercises are very confusing to submit and to rate (peer rate review, sometimes too long questions and you lot the commitment). I would like that the teacher had a much linear methodology through the Specialization, in many moments it feels like he´s losing the objectivity.

It would be nice to reinforce the main concepts, instead of doing mathematic equations...

By Ryan D J

Oct 3, 2018

The Chi Square lecture was hard to follow. I took elementary statistics in college 20 years ago and got an A, but the lecture jumped and skipped explaining things. the video seemed to have been edited when Scott was about to explain something. Sometimes he didn't really explain somethings. The other lectures were very helpful and have helped me already.

By Nima P

Jan 22, 2020

I believe the valuable principles methods in this course would be very useful when this course is placed after courses that already taught students how to navigate through the design process up to prototyping.

When it's like this once one completed prototyping courses and is ready to test their prototypes they should come back and review this course.

By James H

Feb 17, 2016

This class was insanely insightful, and I found many of the topics covered very interesting and fascinating — towards the end of the course, specifically around designing experiments, I found that whole terrain to be pretty difficult to comprehend. I think the lectures have opportunities for improvement here.

By Maria K

Jun 24, 2018

Overall, the course is excellent, though if you take the whole specialization, the last week on doing A/B testing is copying another course's material - Running and Analyzing experiments. Other than that, the course is excellent, lots of examples and literature to read on your own pace.

By Raluca M

Nov 7, 2018

The course is very useful, but the information is a bit hard to digest, especially the problem. Even though I watched the videos several times, I still did not understand some decisions you made in solving it. But I am a better person because of it! Thank you

By Jason M

Nov 26, 2015

Great for the first 2 weeks of class, the third week seemed really unbalanced though and all of the sudden was about 4x the amount of time to watch videos. I wouldn't have minded if the same material was spread to an extra week.

By Alina I F S

Aug 29, 2016

O curso passa conceitos bem básicos de design de interface, ux e etc. É interessante para quem quer ter um primeiro contato, as aulas são boas e o professor explicar de uma forma super tranquila de entender. Gostei bastante.

By Nakul G

Feb 19, 2017

Design Principles has been meticulously structured, although, I'd have loved to lean more on Typography. One feedback to Professor will be to update his content and include more contemporary examples.

By Sanjay M

Apr 20, 2020

The course is designed well. Need more details on Chi-squared and AB testing. Overall it is very informative and helpful. Thank you

By priyank a

Apr 9, 2019

If you do not have experience with data analysis (specifically speaking Pearson's chi square technique), you might struggle like me.

By Bruno B

Jul 3, 2017

Good course. The leactures could be better structured, but with some complementary reading and insistence, you bust right through.

By Les F

Dec 16, 2016

Great, if brief course. Some occasionally ill-worded test questions. But this course piqued my interest for the ones that follow.

By Catherine B

Dec 31, 2017

Just in week 1, this course has me examining and evaluating things I normally would take for granted...including work arounds!