Back to Developing Your Musicianship

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Developing Your Musicianship by Berklee College of Music

Learn the basic concepts and approaches needed to understand, create, and perform contemporary music. If you have a passion for music and are curious about how it works, or if you are a musician who learned to play by ear without formal study, this course will provide you with an engaging introduction to key concepts and approaches needed to understand, create, and perform contemporary music. Taught by Berklee College of Music professor George W. Russell, Jr., the course includes six lessons that delve into harmony and ear training—two areas of intensive focus for every entering Berklee student. The course will teach you the major scale and minor pentatonic scale, and how they are constructed. You will learn what intervals are, how to sing them, and how to find them in music. The course explores tonal centers and how to find the key a song is in, in addition to common time signatures such as 4/4 and 3/4. You will learn how to build chords—major and minor triads, and major and dominant seventh chords—and how to build a common chord progression—the I IV V. You will also learn how to recognize the blues and AABA song forms, and write a basic chord sheet to express your song ideas. In addition to the video lectures, each lesson features Berklee student performances and interviews. The students share their musical journey and offer advice for those wanting to study music. The course culminates with an assignment that asks you to compose and perform a riff blues tune using the minor pentatonic scale. Above all, the course is designed to share the joy of creating music and sharing it with others. Samy Elgazzar, a graduate of Berklee College of Music and a successful composer, will be your Teaching Assistant (TA) for the course....

AG

May 20, 2021

This course is a incredible one to kick start as a musician , it allows one to grow and learn basic musical chords and notes, it gave me deep knowledge about the harmony, ear training and song form.

KH

May 30, 2021

Wonderful course! The instructor is great and the lessons are very well planned and with attainable learning goals. So much fun! I loved it so much I enrolled in the 4-course Specialization.

76 - 100 of 390 Reviews for Developing Your Musicianship

By Akshi G

May 21, 2021

By Emilio M L

Dec 3, 2020

This course is great for people that are looking to learn basic theory and harmony. The professor is charming and makes it fun and easy to learn. I think every aspiring musician should take it.

By Анна П

Apr 10, 2020

I have tried many courses of Music theory and only this course was useful. And I finally can say that I understand something in Music:) George is a really amazing professor! really charismatic.

By Kirsten H

May 31, 2021

By joost v

Great course, very good lessons and materials to study at home. The instructor is super clear and never gives to much information so i never get lost. i had a lot of fun doing this course.

By Matheus M M

Jun 30, 2016

If you are doing this course, for a little preparation for Berklee's Audition. You're doing right. Everything you learned here, is everything they will ask you to do at the audition!

By Aye O

Oct 29, 2020

Un curso fantástico. Lo recomiendo totalmente. He aprendido muchas cosas que me están ayudando en mi carrera musical. Gracias Berklee, gracias Coursera. A por otro curso!!!!

By Richard G

Apr 9, 2020

The course was fun to do, George is an excellent teacher. Liked the highly interactive nature of the course, and importantly I picked up some new things to expand my playing

By Valerie B

Jul 15, 2019

I really appreciate the hands-on approach. By diving into creating and recording simple compositions - as well as doing ear training - the theory part became alive and FUN.

By Anthony M

Jul 5, 2020

This is only course 1 in the specialization and my artistic ability has skyrocketed. I look forward to course 2. Thank you Berklee and Coursera for making this possible!

By carine n

Mar 28, 2020

Loved it! Instructions are clear and the assignments are helpful. I was able to compose a small music piece after taking this course using the scales that were taught.

By Jérôme S

Feb 3, 2019

Enjoyed this course very much! High quality video content and methodology. The content is easy to understand for beginners. For my tast a bit to much self-advertising.

By Sofi

Jul 25, 2016

este curso me ha enseñado un monton de cosas nuevas de la musica me encantaaaaa y se nota que esa universidad es de la que salen formados los mejores musicos del mundo

By Adithi J N

May 23, 2020

It has really been the most memorable experience and privilege of learning from Professor George W. Russell, Jr. Thank you for being an inspiration for so many of us.

By Laura R

Jun 30, 2019

I learned so much in this course! I play the piano so I knew a little coming into the class, but I learned much more than I had anticipated. I'd highly recommend it!

By Quran F

Sep 13, 2020

Love the work of this music college and how great this college does in teaching students how the be sufficient in music and playing the music instruments.👍👍👍

By Shubham S

Apr 14, 2018

Quality content. Was very helpful and now I have the knowledge and skills to compose and play blues style music. Thank you Coursera and Berklee for this course.

By SHUBHAM S

Truely a fun course with a lot of learning.Very helpful and the justifiable to my expectations. Thankfull to the instructor.You made it look so very simple.

By Kiko R

Jun 16, 2021

G​reat, this was as good or better than the first several weeks of the music theory intro class I had at college years ago. Learned and remembered a lot.

By Daniel S A

Aug 8, 2020

Very calm and doable course even for those with no musical background that wants to study more about it. Very good and friendly professor and environment!

By Aliyah L

Jun 17, 2019

SO GREAT!!! It taught me a lot and it's defiantly worth paying for. It's nice to learn and have fun at the same time and this course really captures that!

By Julian F

May 8, 2020

It has been a great opportunity to go back to the basics and learn some more concepts.

George W Russel Jr is a great instructor. I will continue learning!

By Kristi M

Aug 8, 2017

I loved this course as a music theory refresher! I am a big fan of George W. Russell, Jr. as a professor and plan to take all of his Coursera offerings.

By Maha J

Jun 3, 2019

This course is incredibly helpful for everyone ranging from beginners to advanced musicians. There's always something new to learn in it. Thank you!

By Tatiana K

Oct 28, 2016

That is extraordinary. Loved it completely! The teacher is such a sweetheart, He is such a joy to listen and work (even online) with ! Great course!