Back to Developing Your Musicianship

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Developing Your Musicianship by Berklee College of Music

Learn the basic concepts and approaches needed to understand, create, and perform contemporary music. If you have a passion for music and are curious about how it works, or if you are a musician who learned to play by ear without formal study, this course will provide you with an engaging introduction to key concepts and approaches needed to understand, create, and perform contemporary music. Taught by Berklee College of Music professor George W. Russell, Jr., the course includes six lessons that delve into harmony and ear training—two areas of intensive focus for every entering Berklee student. The course will teach you the major scale and minor pentatonic scale, and how they are constructed. You will learn what intervals are, how to sing them, and how to find them in music. The course explores tonal centers and how to find the key a song is in, in addition to common time signatures such as 4/4 and 3/4. You will learn how to build chords—major and minor triads, and major and dominant seventh chords—and how to build a common chord progression—the I IV V. You will also learn how to recognize the blues and AABA song forms, and write a basic chord sheet to express your song ideas. In addition to the video lectures, each lesson features Berklee student performances and interviews. The students share their musical journey and offer advice for those wanting to study music. The course culminates with an assignment that asks you to compose and perform a riff blues tune using the minor pentatonic scale. Above all, the course is designed to share the joy of creating music and sharing it with others. Samy Elgazzar, a graduate of Berklee College of Music and a successful composer, will be your Teaching Assistant (TA) for the course....

AG
May 20, 2021

This course is a incredible one to kick start as a musician , it allows one to grow and learn basic musical chords and notes, it gave me deep knowledge about the harmony, ear training and song form.

KH
May 30, 2021

Wonderful course! The instructor is great and the lessons are very well planned and with attainable learning goals. So much fun! I loved it so much I enrolled in the 4-course Specialization.

51 - 75 of 376 Reviews for Developing Your Musicianship

By SUBODH P

Apr 27, 2020

Great course! It has significantly increased my ability to recognize different chords, intervals and many more about music. I am very thankful to the Berklee team and especially my instructor George. His teaching technique is absolutely brilliant and I have definitely improved a lot as a musician. Thank you.

By Kevin M H

Excellent course for those with limited to moderate music theory knowledge. The professor introduces concepts in a clear and concise manner, and the topics are varied enough that you remain engaged. The course also features well designed in-video quizes and assignments to ensure the material is sinking in.

By Mary P L

Jul 19, 2020

Hats off to Mr.George my music teacher, who made my learning as easy as possible, he's the best teacher ever i learnt from. Thank you sir, now wish to pursue more into music. I really enjoyed for the first time learning music, as Mr. George always tells, it's mandate to have fun while learning music.

By Aggie P

Jun 4, 2020

This is the first time that a take a music course, of course I know read sheets and some chords (the basics), but I didn't know about the scales or other chords, I know how to read a song, but I want to improve and play my own songs, this course is perfect to start to know more about music theory,

By Jazmine

May 3, 2020

Absolutely loved this course and suggested it to my friends to take. I appreciate the school providing quality material and a quality instructor for many to learn from, free of cost. I learned so much, genuinely enjoyed myself, and am excited to take the other three courses in this specialization!

By Leo A

Apr 5, 2017

George Russell is a beyond phenomenal teacher. I would fly to Boston just to take classes with him.

What a blessing of a human being. I never played piano in my life and thanks to him and his amazing personality, am becoming proficient!

Thank you for being you Mr. Russell!

Leo Arias

By SAMIT P B ( i C

Jun 7, 2020

Very well paced course. George is an absolutely awesome teacher and he builds the concepts taught right into your sub conscience effortlessly. You'll have to practice a lot outside the course to see the real application of the concepts being taught but he lays a great foundation.

By Gabriela E P G

Nov 26, 2018

excelente formación para profesionales en música y personas que quieren dedicarse a ello, en mi país hay carencia de educación musical, por lo tanto estos cursos son excelentes para ordenar el conocimiento empírico y al académico que levemente se puede accesar.

By Adrian Q F

Apr 14, 2021

It can appear short or kind of "easy" but it teaches some very important fundaments in a very natural way.

Your skills will improve depending on your discipline and practice schedule, but there is no better way to learn the subjects covered in this course

By Alex A

Oct 10, 2018

This course has really opened op my creative potential and built my confidence in playing and songwriting/producing. Anyone who sees me taking the lessons or hears how much I'm enjoying what the course offers wants to take the course themselves!

By Vladimir H

Sep 23, 2016

This course is a great introduction to music theory. I have been playing by ear for a long time and i now finally understand some of the things that i did before. I recommend this course to those that one to get a good foundation in music.

By Ishita P

Jul 23, 2019

I have been able to develop the skills that I couldn't in my regular classes at a music academy. The practise questions and the teaching style is very thorough. I am really having fun learning and improving with every lesson every week.

By El

Jan 1, 2019

Loved the instructor. The songs he created really helped me retain the material. This course contained just the right intensity of challenge for me. I knew how to read music but had no formal music training since 5th grade.

By Eleanor E

Oct 12, 2018

I love the teacher in these courses, he explains things very clearly. It has given me great ideas for my students in the future! Perfect course for beginners or people who want to clarify/simplify some musical concepts.

By Christopher C

Mar 28, 2018

Great course and eases you in to music theory nicely. Professor is especially fun, knowledgable, and very talented so you know you're in good hands. Highly recommend if you're starting out or looking for a refresher!

By Jinglin W

Sep 2, 2020

I love the style that George taught, it was definitely clear and suitable for people who know the music theory and harmony, Besides, it also taught us about ear training as well as the blues progression. It's cool!

By Maung N M H

Jun 20, 2021

it is very good to be here.You just cant say how much fun we got by attending this course. Music actually is freedom.And thank you very much dear Sir for teaching us in a fun way...Hope to join more courses too...

By Paula P

Apr 23, 2017

This professor is amazing. He explains things that others just overlook. I guess that others assume we should already know the basics, but this professor teaches the basics instead of assuming. He is wonderful!

By Tran L P

Jan 15, 2017

Great course for not only beginners but also somewhat experienced as it it super easy to understand and with very nice instructor. Great assignments which help you get back to all the basic. Strongly recommended.

By Soumya P G

Apr 14, 2021

Very helpful course for Beginner to intermediate students who are keen to develop their understanding and skills for contemporary music. I really enjoyed the stress on blues, musical form and ear training.

By Akshi G

May 21, 2021

By Emilio M L

Dec 3, 2020

This course is great for people that are looking to learn basic theory and harmony. The professor is charming and makes it fun and easy to learn. I think every aspiring musician should take it.

By Анна

Apr 10, 2020

I have tried many courses of Music theory and only this course was useful. And I finally can say that I understand something in Music:) George is a really amazing professor! really charismatic.

By Kirsten H

May 31, 2021

By joost v

Great course, very good lessons and materials to study at home. The instructor is super clear and never gives to much information so i never get lost. i had a lot of fun doing this course.