Back to Developing Your Musicianship

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Developing Your Musicianship by Berklee College of Music

Learn the basic concepts and approaches needed to understand, create, and perform contemporary music. If you have a passion for music and are curious about how it works, or if you are a musician who learned to play by ear without formal study, this course will provide you with an engaging introduction to key concepts and approaches needed to understand, create, and perform contemporary music. Taught by Berklee College of Music professor George W. Russell, Jr., the course includes six lessons that delve into harmony and ear training—two areas of intensive focus for every entering Berklee student. The course will teach you the major scale and minor pentatonic scale, and how they are constructed. You will learn what intervals are, how to sing them, and how to find them in music. The course explores tonal centers and how to find the key a song is in, in addition to common time signatures such as 4/4 and 3/4. You will learn how to build chords—major and minor triads, and major and dominant seventh chords—and how to build a common chord progression—the I IV V. You will also learn how to recognize the blues and AABA song forms, and write a basic chord sheet to express your song ideas. In addition to the video lectures, each lesson features Berklee student performances and interviews. The students share their musical journey and offer advice for those wanting to study music. The course culminates with an assignment that asks you to compose and perform a riff blues tune using the minor pentatonic scale. Above all, the course is designed to share the joy of creating music and sharing it with others. Samy Elgazzar, a graduate of Berklee College of Music and a successful composer, will be your Teaching Assistant (TA) for the course....

KA
Apr 13, 2020

Hands down the best music theory course I've ever taken. I had trouble with understanding theory in the past, but this course has made it so incredibly easy. I'm so happy with the results!

SG
Jul 3, 2017

Very educational for both the unexperienced people who has never played an instrument and the musicians that learned how to play by ear and want to expand their musical vocabulary.

101 - 125 of 330 Reviews for Developing Your Musicianship

By Shunyo J

Aug 3, 2016

And intro to theory made fun and practical. The ear training is fantastic. Love Berklee's approach. Thank you! :)

By Tormod A

Sep 14, 2020

Quite basic stuff and just the kind I needed.

I wish I had paid more attention to these things when I was younger.

By Ysanai Y M A

Jul 6, 2018

I believe this was very well organized and it was very helpful. I really enjoyed the instructor. Thanks a lot

By Владимир М

Nov 19, 2019

It is a great course for begginer! If you starting to learn how to play , you must register on this course!

By Gilberto S

Sep 30, 2017

excellent course, I helped a lot to develop the concepts of harmony, ear training and musical perception

By Kim R

Dec 5, 2016

So far, I have been learning a lot from this course! my musical knowledge has definitely been improving.

By Wai L L

Oct 6, 2016

Thank you Coursera. I'm really happy to have a course with Berklee, I'll keep going to learn more at .

By Donna M

Feb 23, 2018

Amazing teacher! Great videos and quizzes. Thank you George for seriously developing my musicianship.

By Segarceanu O D

Dec 31, 2017

Great course, valuable lessons taught in a light but precise manner. Thanks, prof. Russel & Coursera!

By Jorge G

Nov 13, 2020

Es un excelente curso, dictado de una manera muy didactica y facil de comprender. Lo disfruté mucho.

By Aneela M

Oct 8, 2020

i like it very much .

i was easy to understand and also i had fun while listen to the music.thank you

By Janette F

May 29, 2019

This is a great course. The instructor is excellent and makes the learning both challenging and fun.

By Rex R P C

Sep 16, 2020

This course was good. I personally like it.

Thank you george w russel sir for your effective class.

By Barry W

May 14, 2017

fantastic course. instructors makes learning real easy. they are very knowledgeable also.

LOVE IT!!

By Şafak A Ç

Jul 1, 2020

It provided great understanding of fundamentals. I feel more competent after taking this course.

By Juan C

May 4, 2020

Very well presented. Instructions very clear at all times. Good quality examples. Very satisfied

By Andrei P T

Jul 16, 2020

Un muy buen curso impartido de una forma impecable por un excelente maestro. ¡Muy recomendable!

By Emir B

Apr 6, 2018

Our teacher George is really positive teacher and motivating. Makes lesson really fun to learn.

By José W R d S

Jun 14, 2016

Excelente!

Ainda estou no início das aulas, mas já posso perceber que serão muito interessantes.

By Caroline L

Vraiment excellent, excellent enseignant, motivant et passionné. J'ai beaucoup aimé ce cours.

By Haya E C D

Aug 23, 2020

I loved the way the instructor explained everything, it was very clear and I really had fun.

By Pavan B B

Aug 2, 2020

The perfect course for beginners. If you want to learn music you've come to the right place.

By Dennis S

Jun 12, 2020

I really learned a lot. This was an important foundation step for me for further development

By Michael P M

Jan 7, 2019

The best course for all the new musician in the world!

Thank you so much Coursera and Berklee

By Jaclyn B

Jul 24, 2017

Moves along quick, but covers topics very well. Instructor is fantastic. Highly recommend!!