Back to Differential Equations for Engineers

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Differential Equations for Engineers by The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

This course is about differential equations, and covers material that all engineers should know. We will learn how to solve first-order equations, and how to solve second-order equations with constant coefficients and also look at some fundamental engineering applications. We will learn about the Laplace transform and series solution methods. Finally, we will learn about systems of linear differential equations, including the very important normal modes problem, and how to solve a partial differential equation using separation of variables. This solution method requires first learning about Fourier series. After each video, there are problems to solve and I have tried to choose problems that exemplify the main idea of the lecture. I try to give enough problems for students to solidify their understanding of the material, but not so many that students feel overwhelmed. I do encourage students to attempt the given problems, but if they get stuck, full solutions can be found in the lecture notes for the course. Lecture notes may be downloaded at http://www.math.ust.hk/~machas/differential-equations-for-engineers.pdf...

YH

Apr 03, 2019

Thank you Prof. Chasnov. The lectures are really impressive and explain derivations throughly. I cannot enjoy more on a math course than this one.

SF

May 23, 2019

I can't be thankful enough for this course. It was a life changing for me. Thank you VERY much!

1 - 25 of 25 Reviews for Differential Equations for Engineers

By Seyed I A F

May 23, 2019

By 舒佩文

May 15, 2019

excellent! this is a very introduction to differential equations, and every point is divided properly so it is easy to follow and the instructor is very patient to illustrate all the material, by the way , the handout could be printed, extremely convenient.

By Samanyu R K

Apr 07, 2019

This a very helpful course. Very well designed. It is very helpful to have the instructor actively responding to queries. Learned a lot and in detail about the differential equations and its applications.

By Rehan S

Jul 23, 2019

Very friendly for beginners. Very useful concepts for engineers. Really helpful for me.

By Phillip H

Jul 15, 2019

A really great course. The work is very challenging, but rewarding. Thank you Professor Chasnov for an excellent course!

By Zixiao L

Jul 07, 2019

A fantastic course with good examples and illustration.

By Gujjala M

Jul 04, 2019

It's really good course

By Alexander B

Jun 29, 2019

Great course to learn how to use Differential Equations in real life. Highly recommended!

By JAGANPRASATH V

Jun 26, 2019

Methods are good actually i liked this

By Song H

Jun 16, 2019

This is a wonderful course and easy to get on for beginners.

By Chi L L

Jun 15, 2019

This is the third maths course offer by HKUST. The course itself is very well structured as the flow of how the maths concepts relate to reach other to how useful differential equation is for modelling different system are well presented by Prof. Jeff and the course framework. The course makes maths very relatable and visual which is important then just practicing maths skills over and over. Looking forward if there are another maths courses by Prof. Jeff any time soon.

By Guo C

Jun 14, 2019

Probably the best online differential equation course you can take!

By Hitesh

May 27, 2019

Great introductory course on differential equations. I enjoyed taking the course, Prof. Jeff has an informal way of getting the point across. Which is a great plus. Some background in calculus is necessary if you want to succeed. All the best.

By ilho k

Apr 11, 2019

This is well organized course. Very helpful! Thanks.

By Daksh M

Apr 10, 2019

convient

By MULLAKURI P S

Apr 09, 2019

good course

By udit s s

Apr 07, 2019

this course helped me a lot.

By Devang B

Apr 06, 2019

IT IS A AWESOME COURSE.

By G V S H C

Apr 03, 2019

Was amazing learning something new in this course under our beloved professor.

By KRISHNASAI R

Apr 03, 2019

so good ,it helped me develope my mathematical skills

By Medapati S S M R

Apr 03, 2019

the course was very helpful to my career of learning

By Yitao H

By V H C

Apr 02, 2019

it is very nice course to learn and very interesting

By Srinivas C M

Mar 26, 2019

good

By Michael O

Mar 16, 2019

This course is on the whole very well explained by the tutor. He explains very well how equations arise in physical situations, much better than you would find in a textbook. The course is very well structured and the videos are are of a convenient length, about 10 minutes each, so that we are not overloaded with material. I am not an engineer and it is only now that I have an understanding of resonance and realise that it is the amplitude of the vibration that increases with time that causes the breaking of a glass or the destruction of a bridge. Although I scored highly in all the module quizzes I found the course very tough. It is essential to do all the practice questions and the intermediate quizzes along the way. I also found it useful to pause the video and work out derivations either before or after the tutor had done so. The only quibble I have is that the tutor sometimes worked out too much in his head. Now this is fine for someone who is already proficient but is not fine for learners who are meeting the material for the first time. In my experience small little things can often block a learner's progress. In addition to the video material there is also a pdf document of the lectures which contains worked solutions to the problems. Thus is useful for checking your own solutions against.