Back to Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology by University of Alberta

Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology is a 12-lesson course teaching a comprehensive overview of non-avian dinosaurs. Topics covered: anatomy, eating, locomotion, growth, environmental and behavioral adaptations, origins and extinction. Lessons are delivered from museums, fossil-preparation labs and dig sites. Estimated workload: 3-5 hrs/week....

JH
Apr 5, 2017

Thank you for this excellent course! I really enjoyed the short videos, the concise notes, and quick quizzes (both at the end of each lesson, as well as the main point quizzes throughout the videos).

PM
Oct 17, 2020

Even as a dinosaur nerd, I still learned a lot. Instructional videos with embedded quizzes were very well constructed. I'm just a bit bummed that I couldn't access the fossil viewer for some reason.

26 - 50 of 953 Reviews for Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology

By Папышева А С

Jun 11, 2020

I would like to thank the University of Alberta for such an opportunity to take this amazing course. I really enjoyed every minute of it. Also I would like to express my gratitude to Betsy Kruk for her great explanations and charisma. Thank you very much!

By Fazla Z A

Aug 10, 2020

The instructors' explanation are very clear and easy to understand. Would definitely recommend this to anyone who is interested in Paleontology or dinosaurs in general. I really had fun learning.

By Ricardo R F

Oct 31, 2020

Agradecemos al excelente equipo del CURSO DINO-101, liderado por el Profesor Philip John Currie, Ph. y presentado por Betsy Kruk, MSc quienes con su gran maestría nos han transportado al pasado y hecho soñar con estos animales maravillosos que dominaron el planeta cerca de 200 millones de años. Durante esta aventura pedagógica en que nos pasearon por grandes museos con bellas colecciones de fósiles, afloramientos, fotografías, técnicas modernas de laboratorio, metodologías para aproximarse a los problemas con gráficas y dibujos de fácil comprensión, hacen sencillo el acceso de ese conocimiento a públicos no especializados. La forma estructurada en que presentan los contenidos favorece la asimilación de conocimiento en contexto garantizando la comprensión de temas complejos. Además, los recursos interactivos son muy creativos vuelven divertido el aprendizaje.

Quienes tomamos este curso DINO 101 y hacemos algún tipo de divulgación del patrimonio paleontológico y geológico en nuestros territorios, salimos particularmente beneficiados, fortalecidos y completamente motivados para seguir haciendo nuestra labor de manera más profesional y efectiva. Siempre quedaremos agradecidos por compartir información valiosa con altos contenidos técnicos y con las facilidades de traducciones en diferentes idiomas para un acceso mundial a la información.

By Dennis K

Dec 6, 2020

This has been one of the best courses I have studied and am really grateful to Betsy Kruk, Phil Currie and the team at Alberta for welcoming me to the wonderful world of dinosaur palaeontology.

The course was very well structured. The lessons built up knowledge and gradually expanded to Stratigraphy, Tectonics and Paleogeography to put the learning into context. I liked the way that the regular nonthreatening, interactive questions kept me engaged with the lessons and the quizzes gave me the opportunity to test my understanding. I especially likes the Glossary and Lesson Notes that helped reinforce the learning in each lesson.

A help to me, may have been a Cladogram that built up as the lessons moved on alongside the timeline to help me picture the evolution of species through time as we learned more. The names and language are challenging for beginner!

One disappointment was that the interactive museum did not work for me.

Once again, thank you to the whole team for a great course.

By Gwendolyn G

May 2, 2021

I have always been fascinated by Dinosaurs, even as a little girl. Imagine my surprise when I found out that I could take courses about the very things that have always been a love of mine? I want to thank the Teachers, Teaching Assistants, and the University of Alberta for putting together, not only this course, but other relatable courses for people like me.

You have done a fabulous job and I, not only learned so much (and have the notes to prove it!), but also had so much fun doing so. The lessons were well presented, easy to follow, and just challenging enough for a beginner course. I'm going on to do the other courses and I can't wait. Thank you all so much for giving me access to something that I would never have been able to have access to otherwise. I sincerely hope you continue doing what you do and that you may add even more to the subject.

By Alice B

Mar 7, 2021

Having been interested in Dinosaurs for years this was a great way to learn more about them and the world they lived in. Great for anyone with an interest who wishes to know more but perhaps gets put off by the heavier, more science-filled courses and books. This was a great blend of reading material, quizzes and informative videos and would easily recommend it to anyone. My only issue was in one of the quizzes, a question was marked incorrectly. When it said what the correct answer was, the answer matched what I had selected. However, as I was only doing this for fun and it was only one question so it didn't detract from the enjoyment of the course. Had it happened more than once there may have been some issues. Big thanks to the people involved in putting this course together for us to all enjoy.

By Arturo M

May 17, 2017

Excellent course. All presentations, either of Betsy Kruky or Dr. Phil Curry were very straightforward. I am a biochemist but my undergraduate field is biology and one of my favourites field of biology is that related with fossil records in particular with all these magnificient animals, the dinosaurs. For a guy with scientific training (as one that is sharing this thoughts) is a pleasure to listen and to read material full of scientific evidence. This aspect makes, to me, a strong, serious and professional way to present this particular course. I want to congratulate all personnel involved in the development of this course, in particular to Betsy and Dr. Curry, and all personnel of University of Alberta. I encourege all of you to see more courses in this field with you guys soon. Congrats!

By Renato V

Sep 21, 2020

Muchas gracias por los conocimientos entregados de paleontología en este curso. Como profesional de las ciencias ambientales, pienso que este curso es de calidad, entregando al participante las herramientas para iniciar la comprensión de la ciencia de la paleo-biología. Me gustaría que docentes de la Universidad de Alberta se comunicaran conmigo, par saber si existen cursos similares. Saludos afectuosos desde Chile.

Thank you very much for the knowledge you put of paleontology in this course. As an environmental sciences professional, this course is of quality, delivering to it the tools to initiate understanding of the science of paleo-biology. I would like professors from the University of Alberta to contact me, to know if there are similar courses. Affectionate greetings from Chile.

By Ïan B

May 13, 2018

Excellent cours ! Betsy Kurk is a wonderful teacher. C'est passionnant, d'un high level, the questions in the middle of the course = excellent ! It is the better course I've ever heard on Internet. The first lesson is the hardiest with all the new names, and I had to listen several times some lessons to really get it ; I will miss you ! Je vous adore et je voudrais ne jamais vous quitter ! I hope you will discover more and more pieces of dinosauria in your Alberta Dinosaur Park ! Now I can say to everybody then Jurassic Park is stupid, it I "Cretace Park" in fact ! and I understood that theropod were less interesting that sauropods, solid species of jurassic ! Thank you so much ! Congratulations from and old art and literature blue-haired university professor from Paris, France !

By ELAINE M B

This Very Enjoyable yet informative course has been pitched so that the keen dabbler can learn details about dinosaurs that are usually the secrets of paleontologists and professional fossil hunters, and it would be a good base for learning before moving onto a more specialist dinosaur course! Most adult learners can easily do the work in an hour or two a week, but keen youngsters (12+, I'd estimate) might find the technical terms a bit challenging, and need a little longer to work through the films and reading. It is very well made and written, and my only quibble is that the assessments are somewhat basic and easy - I'd like something that tested the understanding at a deeper level, but others may not be pleased with that! All in all, an Excellent Educational Experience!

By Robin L

Nov 3, 2016

This is my first time trying out an online course and I must say I am extremely impressed with the detail.This had made me even more interested in Dinosaurs now! Firstly a great way to learn about Dinosaurs and palaeontology .This course was brilliantly detailed and extremely engaging. Everyone in the videos were clear and engaging to listen to,the way the information was presented in different locations simply excellent.The video lectures were wonderful with the way they make you think,especially putting questions within the video lectures were wonderfully done. The notes before hand were also well presented and put together.

So thank you Dino 101 team I have really enjoyed Dino 101 and will be looking into your other courses in the future.

By Geraldy K

Jul 15, 2020

I've loved dinosaurs since my childhood. I read books and watch movies or documentaries of these magnificent creatures. Thus, I am often called a 'dinosaur expert' by my peers. I even have a nickname 'Kiantasaurus' as of I myself am a dinosaur.

Thanks to this course, at least now I can say "Hey, I have a certificate to proof my loving of dinosaur." However, this course has given much more beyond that. Though short, I've learned a ton of new things that I had never heard or read before joining this course. Also, with the pandemic still running around, for the least, Dino 101 has given one cheerful color in my quarantine story.

Thank you Dino 101 Team. Best luck for your future dinosaur research.

Best regards from Indonesia,

Geraldy Kianta

By Kylee S

Aug 23, 2020

This course was very educational and got me extremely interested in paleontology. I went in thinking it would just be a fun way to spend my quarantine, but because of this class, I'm considering a career path in paleontology. The class setup was well designed, with lesson notes at the beginning of each module, and then videos after the notes. I liked that this setup allowed me to take notes and then follow along and add new things if something was added in the videos. You can tell that the instructors are passionate about paleontology, but explain everything in a way that makes sense to beginners. I highly recommend this course to anyone wanting to know more about prehistoric life.

By Stephen J A

Mar 31, 2017

Great course, so interesting, I learned so much. It is presented well and helps you to be methodical and taught me to analyse with a new perspective. I find I am now able to understand better the scientific papers that are published. It is such a shame that it is over, but Intend to continue with my studies. The additional material at the end of each lesson is a great idea which causes you to research even more. If you have an interest in these fantastic creatures, how they came to be and why they disappeared, apart from the birds of course, then this is the course for you and you don't have to have a degree to complete this course, just an enquiring mind. S. ATKINS

By Daniel A

Mar 2, 2020

I thought this was an incredible course to do as it was very well done by the Dino 101 team. I got a lot of joy and pleasure whilst doing this course as i have always had a great interest and fascination with dinosaurs, ever since i watched the 1999 documentary 'Walking with Dinosaurs' and of course 'Jurassic Park. Whilst doing this course i also gained and learned a lot of skills and information, such as the processes of digging up and studying the fossils, along with learning how to distinguish and group fossils from extinct species etc. I also just want to thank the Dino 101 team for making this course as it has been a lot of fun.

By Colin R

Feb 3, 2019

Excellent course, easy to navigate ( around the on line course) for an old fuddy duddy like me; pitched at right level ( even though it is beginner level it wasn’t patronising or overly simplified I felt.), thankyou very much. I’m definitely going to undertake further courses through Coursera and especially at Alberta University-I thought Phillip and Betsy were great-enthusiastic and knowledgable ofcourse and grabbed my attention for the start.

On another note I’m struggling to be able to download a certificate ( I only want it for my own personal record) -can you advise please? Diolch yn fawr ( Thanks - in Welsh)

By Viv B

Aug 26, 2020

Great course. Great videos and expllanations for beginners. I have purchased some books on the back of this and have started watching Walking with Dinosaurs DVDs. One small criticism. The questions for the quizzes which often include drawings disappear too quickly for me before you see the options for answers. A very minor quibble. I will do some of the other dinosaur courses with the University of Alberta. Would also recommend the Great Extinctions course on the Futurelearn website which led me to the Dino 101 course. Thanks |University of Alberta. I have told my friends about this exciting way to learn !

By Maxwell P

Feb 21, 2018

I'm an amateur fossil hunter and paleontology enthusiast. This was a fun and engaging course. I only wish it were longer, and I'm looking forward to watching other courses from the U of Alberta paleontology folks. My 10 yo also watched and enjoyed some sections with me. That he was able to understand and extrapolate information well enough to critically answer some of the quiz questions speaks to the excellent way the material was presented- both simply and thoroughly. Thank you for providing such high quality free science education materials. I just wish there were a way I could join y'all in the field!

By Max C

Apr 23, 2019

I loved this course a lot! It teaches a lot about not just dinosaurs but also other creatures that lived before and after dinosaurs; it also reviews many things I'd learned before from school-level geology, books, and scientific media, but it still adds more detail and explains them again. If you're unsure of something said, it almost always explains it either right when the topic is introduced or somewhere else in the course. Overall, I loved this course and it taught me a lot. I love telling the people I know neat facts and trivia from the lessons. Thank you for making this course :]

By T.M R M T

Feb 4, 2021

I'm really interested in dinosaurs since when I was in grade 1, with time I used to spent more time with finding new things about dinosaurs and paleontology subject. As now I'm in grade 11 and my target was to learn more as I want about paleontology. So this Dino 1O1 course really archived my target and gave me really great knowledge. I'm hoping to keep learning about this amazing subject further. One day I will become a great Paleontologist. This Dino1O1: Dinosaur Paleobiology course has taught me many things which will make my first steps for my big target. Thank You!

By José P

May 14, 2020

I thank the University of Alberta, Canada for this opportunity that I greatly value. The Scientists in charge of the course, of the lessons and videos were very didactic, pleasant and facilitated the understanding of the topics for which, as a biology teacher in Venezuela, I congratulate them. I will use what I have learned in my high school classes. The PDF materials are very good and the links they have are very illustrative and informative. Thanks again and many successes. P.S. I would very much like to get a good quality didactic matrial like yours in Spanish.

By Sinéad D

Apr 23, 2021

Brilliant and indepth course covering all of the basics, and some more complex subjects, relating to dinosaurs. A brilliant overview, expertly conducted by Betsy Crook and Dr Phil Currie. They both are obviously hugely enthusiastic and well-educated in their fields. I wish I could learn directly from Dr Currie, he seems the ideal teacher that every passionate learner wants. I aim to continue learning with the next course, Theropods and Birds. I only wish the certificate was more professional-looking and was available as a verified physical copy also.

By Renee N

May 24, 2018

Absolutely LOVED it!! I went into this course thinking I'd be able to name random dinosaurs and accumulate random facts but it was so much more. This course has taught me so much beyond just dinosaurs itself but really gave a glimpse of what the world was like when dinosaurs walked on this very planet. It also broke down a lot of topics like evolution theory and the history of earth, providing a very wholesome view. For someone who does not possess a very scientific mind I actually enjoyed this course very much. I highly recommend this for EVERYONE.

By Jose F L

Jan 19, 2021

I think this is a great course. I attended with my six-year-old son, and he also enjoyed it very much. Even though Spanish is our mother tongue, he understood using the closed caption in Spanish, so thanks for that. I let him answer all the exams with very little help from me, and he obtained excellent grades. I have to say that sometimes he felt tired with some videos (some last more than 10 mins), but again, he is six years old. So

We appreciate the teachers Philip and Betsy; probably my son will attend the University of Alberta someday.

By Nickolas T B

Feb 2, 2017

Wow, what an awesome course. I can't find anything to complain about. The notes were useful and well-formatted, the video lectures were concise and full of clear language and examples to demonstrate ideas, and the quizzes were a lovely balance between easy and impossible, they gave just enough challenge to make me rack my brain for some detail I'd almost forgotten. Awesome course, I am walking away with what was once just a passion for dinosaurs is now a concrete starting point for an academic intrigue in the entire field of paleobiology.