Back to Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology by University of Alberta

Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology is a 12-lesson course teaching a comprehensive overview of non-avian dinosaurs. Topics covered: anatomy, eating, locomotion, growth, environmental and behavioral adaptations, origins and extinction. Lessons are delivered from museums, fossil-preparation labs and dig sites. Estimated workload: 3-5 hrs/week....

JH
Apr 5, 2017

Thank you for this excellent course! I really enjoyed the short videos, the concise notes, and quick quizzes (both at the end of each lesson, as well as the main point quizzes throughout the videos).

PM
Oct 17, 2020

Even as a dinosaur nerd, I still learned a lot. Instructional videos with embedded quizzes were very well constructed. I'm just a bit bummed that I couldn't access the fossil viewer for some reason.

51 - 75 of 883 Reviews for Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology

By Patricia B C

Dec 11, 2020

Un gran curso en el que aprendí muchas cosas de estas increíbles criaturas, de una forma interesante y también divertida.

Los videos estan llenos de información al igual que las lecturas. Recomiendo muchisímo este curso, para todos los que amamos este tema.

******

A great course in which I learned a lot of things of this amazing creatures, in a very interesting and fun way too.

The videos are full of information as well as the Lectures. I seriously recommend a lot this course, for all the ones that love this subject.

By Pythor ( A

Dec 16, 2017

This is everything I've ever wanted from education. I was interested in this topic ever since middle school. My core education did not offer me such. So I had to seek out the education I want. As luck would have it. This class exists.

If anyone wishes to hone their paleontology skills or want to get into paleontology or just like dinosaurs. This is the course for you. This is a super easy class with super interesting lessons. I hopefully plan on coming to the University of Alberta to fulfill my paleontology dreams.

By Fran S

Sep 22, 2019

Although I've been fascinated by dinosaurs for years, this course offered me the chance to learn so much more about them than I had ever considered before. I especially appreciated the chance to interact with bone and skull 3D reproductions, and the lesson notes at the beginning of each section will serve as an ongoing resource, since I was able to export them as PDFs. I truly appreciate all the work that went into producing Dino 101. By the way -- I'm 72 years old. It's never too late to learn something new!

By Alexa R

Jan 8, 2021

As an artist that loves creature design and grew up fascinated by the idea of dinosaurs (or the animals of our planet's past in general), this course was not only very intriguing but it helped cover areas in which I wasn't previously well-read; helping give me a much better foundation. From the reading material to the video presentations and quizzes, this course provides a wealth of knowledge and helps you memorize/apply it! Thank you so much, University of Alberta, for providing such an excellent course!

By Steven H C

Nov 27, 2020

i was very impressed with the dinosaur paleobiology course. It was rich in content yet was presented in an easy to understand language. The mixed use of the short quizzes, videos and background information sheets allowed for multiple exposures through diifferent formats. I do learn best with these different approaches which provide insights from diifferent angles. Keep up the good work! I'm going to have to put Alberta, Canada on my list of places to visit soon.

Thank you for the class!

By Luke N

Nov 26, 2020

I really loved this course! It is not very difficult, so someone with little to no prior knowledge would get a lot out of it. As someone who does have prior knowledge, I still thoroughly enjoyed it, and learned along the way. It certainly teaches you a diverse range of subjects (ranging from the basics of evolutionary biology, to understanding plate tectonics and other geological mechanisms) all through the lens of dinosaurs. I can also really appreciate how much work went into creating it.

By Emil

Apr 26, 2020

Very nice course. A little bit long maybe. The girl leading the lectures was definitively customer friendly. (She looks very similar with the male lecturer. At one point I thought, that they were relatives. Now at the end of the course, when I see, that their family names are different, I understand it is not true) I took the course because of the topic. I wanted to hear an university point of view about dinosaurs. The other reason is that subtitles of an European language were available.

By MANIAS Z

Dec 20, 2020

It was an amazing experience, learning all this information about dinosaurs and how diverse they were. I learned so many things that I would not even imagine before this course and I deeply thank Dr. Currie and Dr. Kruk for their beautiful way of teaching and their passion for their work and research. I sincerely recommend this course to anyone who is interested and passionate about palaeontology and how animals of tens of million years ago existed and spent their lifetimes!

By Munawar J

Jun 18, 2017

This was a Great Learning Experience for me and my 5 year old son, Muaziz H Jatoi.

At the age 2, he been telling us that he wants to become and for a year he been claiming of being a Paleontologist, even he claimed, of being A Paleontologist, to the Researchers at Carthage Institute of Paleontology in Kenosha, WI.

Thanks a lot for such a resource & the opportunity to learn in the comfort of home. We would love to talk with Dr Philip Currie and his team of Graduate Students.

By vikram s r

Dec 3, 2020

One of the most interesting courses done by me over last 8 years of doing about 20+ courses. The highlight was the so interesting way this course was designed to keep the participants focused and the just right amount of information and challenge to critical thinking about a great science. I am in awe of all paleontologists who have worked so hard to piece together this information for posterity. My best wishes to this dedicated community who continues to enlighten us.

By Antonia T B

Sep 10, 2018

A really fascinating course.

I wish there would have been more drawings or skeletons when talking about a dinosaur (sometimes it was hard to follow and the pace was too fast. Also, it's always more interesting seeing pictures or maps than the face of the lecturer all the time). Also, I missed professor Philip John Currie. When he lectured the level went really high. But overall it was an excellent course.

Thanks a lot and many greetings from Spain / Antonia Tejeda Barros

By Illaria K

Dec 5, 2019

I found this course highly intriguing and was a great resource to prepare me for the Palaeontology course I am to start in September at University. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is interested in finding out more about dinosaurs (even if you aren't going to study them). Many thanks to the Dino 101 team for putting this course together. I am very much looking forward to September so that I can wow them with the terminology and facts that I have gained.

By Sid W V

This course expanded my petty understanding of Dinosaurs. Prior this course, I only know things about Dinosaurs thru movies and several children's book. This course is essential for Dino-nerds like me. I highly recommend this course for casual ancient life form learners looking to augment their knowledge. Other Natural Science such as Biology, Geology and Taxonomy were great inclusions to this course. If UA would put up a sequel course, I'll surely sign up.

By Rafael T R

Apr 15, 2020

An excellent course to everybody interested in dinosaurs, it explains from the basics all the paleobiology referring this amazing group and if you read all lesson papers it makes you understand advanced topics about them. Both Dr. Philip and Betsy are great teachers and share a lot of their knowledge about dinosaurs with a lot of joy as the teach it, making the course very pleasant, there is no doubt about their high degree of knowledge in the area.

By Ayn T

Jan 2, 2021

I have always been interested and fascinated in the study of dinosaurs, especially living in a country where paleobiology is not common. The course for me was designed to be easily understandable by non-technical people. It is not intimidating, and has been discussed in a logical way. From this course I gained a better understanding not only of dinosaurs, but a better appreciation of earth's history and the dynamics of life over millions of years.

By Luana S

Jul 27, 2020

I learned a lot in this course! I appreciate the time you all took out of your scientific activities to carry out this scientific dissemination course so well done

The language is extremely accessible and there are several practical activities during the course. Apart from the course itself there are several other practical activities on a separate website that are VERY interesting even for those who teach basic education to use as a basis.

By Brenda H

Aug 28, 2018

I took this class because the Dinosaur is the theme unit for this year's Camp Fire kids. As a leader I wanted to be knowledgeable for the questions that would come from the kids of all ages. This course offered more than answers; I enjoyed learning about dinosaurs and that has inspired me to dig further into their existence. I feel ready to give stories and lessons that will keep my kids focused on the topics I have for them this year.

By Rachel S

Feb 20, 2019

The instructors did an excellent job of explaining complex topics in an approachable, easily digested manner. It was very fun to learn how much our perceptions of dinosaurs have changed since I was a paleo-obsessed kid, and to take an even more in depth look at the science involved in classifying and discovering them. I may retake this course again in the future to try to solidify some of the more advanced concepts and facts in my mind.

By Thomas E M

Jan 3, 2017

Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology is a fantastic introduction to the world of Dinosaurs and to some of the science which underpins our understanding of them. The course is well designed and gradually builds upon your knowledge. The information is clearly presented and easy to follow, and most importantly - learn.

I have throughly enjoyed learning from this course and would recommend it to anyone, amateur or potential professional alike.

By S. A V

Jul 2, 2020

What an amazing course that was! If you are curious about dinosaurs or love them but don't know much about them, this is the course for you. Betsy and Dr. Phil teach with so much passion, that it's contagious. The puzzles, virtual tours of the museum of palaeontology and Dinosaur park in Alberta along with the numerous fossils that you can play around with, make this course as hands-on as a virtual course can possibly get.

By Carol B

Jul 1, 2017

This course is well designed to engage people with varied backgrounds. If you want to know more about dinosaurs and how they came to be, evolved, and ultimately became extinct, this is a course that will do just that. The presenters are engaging and the fossil evidence, imagery, and interactive features all make this a course to look forward to sitting down with week after week. I highly recommend this course.

By Guilherme A R

Jan 3, 2019

Curso simplesmente maravilhoso. Direto, dinâmico e bem didático. Conteúdos de visualização pratica, interação com perguntas no meio das vídeo aulas e feedback positivo ao fim dos testes. Simplesmente excedeu totalmente todas as expectativas que já eram altas vindo de um curso da University of Alberta. Parabéns as pessoas que fizeram o curso e ao Coursera por disponibilizarem esse tipo de conteúdo maravilhoso.

By Adriana C V R

Jun 12, 2020

Me encantó! Siempre quise ser paleontóloga y ahora me siento un poquito más cerca de lograrlo. El curso muestra, de forma básica pero muy científica, todo lo que necesitas saber sobre la vida, evolución y extinción de los dinosaurios. Las lecturas son sencillas pero con bastante información, por lo que es bueno dedicarse a leerlas con calma. Espero ir a Alberta algún día y visitar el museo y la Universidad.

By Alla S

May 29, 2017

I just want to say thanks to the Dino 101 team for an incredible job. It's just an amazing course - very interesting, detailed and professional. So much effort and work was put into this course and the fact that it is available to anyone who is willing to learn is a blessing. Professor Philip Currie is just an incredible person who is deeply passionate about what he does. Special thanks to him for Dino 101!