Back to Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology by University of Alberta

Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology is a 12-lesson course teaching a comprehensive overview of non-avian dinosaurs. Topics covered: anatomy, eating, locomotion, growth, environmental and behavioral adaptations, origins and extinction. Lessons are delivered from museums, fossil-preparation labs and dig sites. Estimated workload: 3-5 hrs/week....

JH

Apr 06, 2017

Thank you for this excellent course! I really enjoyed the short videos, the concise notes, and quick quizzes (both at the end of each lesson, as well as the main point quizzes throughout the videos).

TW

Dec 16, 2017

The instructors' explanation are very clear and easy to understand. Would definitely recommend this to anyone who is interested in Paleontology or dinosaurs in general. I really had fun learning.

51 - 75 of 506 Reviews for Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology

By Evan L

Nov 10, 2018

This was a very fun and interesting course. Learning about the dinosaurs themselves, but also where they came from and the evolution from their beginning through to the birds that we know them as today was fascinating. One of the best parts though is learning about the different pieces of a 4.6 billion year puzzle and how they all fit together. It has made the world we live seem more beautiful to me.

By Alejo N

Mar 10, 2019

Excellent curse! It was not a problem for me not to have knowledge about dinosaurs and geology, because everything is explain clearly and concisely by the excellent teachers and researches. Very good videos, examples, supplementary material, images, photographs, landscapes and analogies. I really enjoyed learning about dinosaurs as well as knowing the University of Alberta. You did a very good job!

By Freddy R

I thought this course was brilliant, it's slow paced and easy to understand, using a wide range of vocabulary and context from reliable resources

It's the perfect course for anyone who is interested in dinosaurs and the history of earth

It's truly been 12 of the best lessons I have ever had in my life, as it's a combination of everything I have seen or watched before and it was beautiful

By Tyler B

Feb 05, 2019

Excellent and informative course, taken by a true dinosaur fan! Learned plenty of new facts about dinosaurs and sharpened my extant knowledge. Great presenters and well-developed MOOC. I may re-audit all of the paleontology courses offered by U. of Alberta for personal pleasure, as they were sincerely enjoyable, entertaining, and communicative! Thanks to Dr. Currie and the whole team!

By Kieran S

Dec 11, 2017

Absolutely fantastic!! As an already qualified scientist in biology this course was useful even for someone like myself with a degree. This course has the right balance between basic dinosaur science for the dinosaur "hobbiest" and more scientific information for someone like myself looking for more of a challenge. It was fun, engaging and interesting!! I only wish there was more!

By Sanoop M

May 09, 2018

This course is just awesome, and so are the instructors! It was an amazing ride over the last 12 weeks and I learned a lot about dinosaurs .The focus on the scientific method rather than just a pool of data is praiseworthy. It has given me an impetus to research further on these amazing groups of animals.

Thank you Betsy,Phil, Gavin, and the rest of the staff.. :)

Sanoop M

By Rachel G

Aug 13, 2019

I have had an exceptional time participating in this course! I've had an interest in paleontology for a while, and this was a great introduction course. The reading is super informative and very interesting. The mini quizzes within the videos are very helpful and are useful tools to keep you on track. I have loved everything about this course. I'll probably take another!

By Tim K

Jun 05, 2018

Dino 101 was well written and presented. Quality work by leaders in their field. The readings were interesting and clear though some of the lessons could use some proofing for typos and syntax edits. I have already enrolled in another palaeontology course presented by the University of Alberta and plan to take the other courses offered in palaeontology by them as well.

By Erin B

Jun 09, 2017

So much fun to learn about paleontology! I joined this course after a visit to the Museum of Natural History here in New York. I realized I could take a class for free and learn so much more than even a day at the museum could teach me. Sometimes the quizzes were challenging, but I feel like I am much more knowledgeable now and hope to learn more in the future. Thanks!

By Chelsea I B

Apr 28, 2020

Holy cow so much material. I had a blast learning about Dinos and so much more. Betsy, Phil, and the rest of the presenters did an amazing job and really showed they knew their stuff. This class made me excited to keep learning. I appreciated the provided notes as they gave a variety of information that supplemented and reinformed what they were saying in the videos.

By Megan W

Jul 02, 2019

This is a fascinating course! You are sure to learn many interesting things about dinosaurs, dinosaur terminology and the time periods they lived in. Easy to follow with great instructors, and well thought out lesson structure. Quick review questions in each lesson make this course easy to comprehend. I recommend this course to anyone with an interest in Dinosaurs.

By Cesar L

Apr 06, 2020

Great course with great teachers. Reading material and videos complement each other in a way it makes it much nicer to learn. It was always a dream to know more about dinosaurs and now I will enjoy much more my visits to museums and articles about this group. Perhaps, as a documentary maker, one day will prepare something about them! Many thanks from Brazil!!

By Destinee M

Oct 27, 2019

I absolutely love this course. You can take efficient notes and refer back to the videos through them. Some small spelling errors in the notes but it is always an easy fix. Really interesting facts and information involving dinosaurs as well as some interactive puzzles and questions in the videos. Overall very fun and easy to do, even with a busy schedule.

By Alex P

May 28, 2018

A most informative, interesting, understandable course!

I must confess that I studied Biology and Geology (B.sc) and yet I had real fun refreshing what I know and learn new thing.

I am an english speaker, but it is not my first language, yet I understood everything, the speech was very clear and the PDFs for each class help.

Overall, a wonderfull course.

By Sourav C

Jun 20, 2017

It was a real pleasure for me to take this course. I had the opportunity to learn about so many aspects of ancient dinosaurs that were previously unknown to me. I am grateful to the team of University of Alberta and coursera for giving me the opportunity to learn more about this incredible subject. Thank you all for giving me the opportunity to learn .

By Amanda B

This course was set up nicely with lesson reading, videos, interactives, and quizzes. The instructors were very knowledgeable and presented information easily to those with no dino or minimal anthropology background. It was extremely helpful to me as I set up a fossils and findings course in my school. I would definitely take courses from them again!

By Marcos G M

Nov 01, 2018

Está genial este curso, sí que es verdad que algunas palabras son muy técnicas y yo algunas no las supe, pero en general se entiende y la traducción está perfecto. Me encanta este curso, está muy bien elaborado y para todo aquél "friki" de los dinosaurios, este curso es idóneo para aprender a conocerlos y estudiarlos. Muchas gracias. Un saludo.

By S K

Apr 19, 2019

Was always intrigued about the dinosaurs and their lives. This course helped in understanding their times as well as introducing me to their morphology and anatomy. Overall, a great course for learning about the dinosaurs. This course is helpful for someone who is interested in learning about the evolution of reptiles, mammals and birds.

By Marie-Chantale B

Aug 30, 2018

This course was fantastic! I was only taking it for my own pleasure as I've always been interested in dinosaurs. It was easy to follow, even if you have no science or paleontology background like me. I highly recommend it. Congratulations to all of those you worked on building this class. I wish there was more online classes like yours.

By Sarah B

Feb 21, 2019

This course was extremely informative and beautifully presented. An excellent grounding for the other paleontology courses offered by this passionate team from University of Alberta. I'm looking forward to diving into the more advanced courses from here on out. Thank you so much for all your hard work putting this course together!

By John J C

Dec 25, 2018

I had many concepts and ideas I have read in books made much clearer to me by studying this course! Koodos to the instructors and all that were involved in creating it! As an added bonus, taking it helped with my computer operating skills. (Which were basically non-existent beforehand!) I definitely plan on taking more courses!

By Vinda M

Feb 28, 2020

As someone from the Caribbean, we are not really exposed to learning materials such as in this course. It gives dinosaur enthusiasts a chance to come a lot closer to understanding these great creatures and in turn equip persons with the ability to pass on what has been learned to others. This Course was indeed a pleasure.

By Gabby G

Mar 23, 2018

I have a degree in Geology, but never had the opportunity to take a class on Dinosaurs. This class was great at explaining introductory concepts for beginners, but also challenged folks who were more advanced. I was able to skim through what I knew, and study at more length what I did not. Overall, it was a great course.

By Matthew W

Jun 13, 2017

I love these courses. I have take all four of the paleontology focused classes available from Coursera. The staff at the University of Alberta have done an outstanding job putting together interesting and informative lectures on one of my favorite subjects. Well done. I hope that there may be more coming in the future.