Back to Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology by University of Alberta

Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology is a 12-lesson course teaching a comprehensive overview of non-avian dinosaurs. Topics covered: anatomy, eating, locomotion, growth, environmental and behavioral adaptations, origins and extinction. Lessons are delivered from museums, fossil-preparation labs and dig sites. Estimated workload: 3-5 hrs/week....

JH

Apr 06, 2017

Thank you for this excellent course! I really enjoyed the short videos, the concise notes, and quick quizzes (both at the end of each lesson, as well as the main point quizzes throughout the videos).

TW

Dec 16, 2017

The instructors' explanation are very clear and easy to understand. Would definitely recommend this to anyone who is interested in Paleontology or dinosaurs in general. I really had fun learning.

26 - 50 of 511 Reviews for Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology

By Daniel A

Mar 02, 2020

I thought this was an incredible course to do as it was very well done by the Dino 101 team. I got a lot of joy and pleasure whilst doing this course as i have always had a great interest and fascination with dinosaurs, ever since i watched the 1999 documentary 'Walking with Dinosaurs' and of course 'Jurassic Park. Whilst doing this course i also gained and learned a lot of skills and information, such as the processes of digging up and studying the fossils, along with learning how to distinguish and group fossils from extinct species etc. I also just want to thank the Dino 101 team for making this course as it has been a lot of fun.

By Colin R

Feb 03, 2019

Excellent course, easy to navigate ( around the on line course) for an old fuddy duddy like me; pitched at right level ( even though it is beginner level it wasn’t patronising or overly simplified I felt.), thankyou very much. I’m definitely going to undertake further courses through Coursera and especially at Alberta University-I thought Phillip and Betsy were great-enthusiastic and knowledgable ofcourse and grabbed my attention for the start.

On another note I’m struggling to be able to download a certificate ( I only want it for my own personal record) -can you advise please? Diolch yn fawr ( Thanks - in Welsh)

By Maxwell P

Feb 21, 2018

I'm an amateur fossil hunter and paleontology enthusiast. This was a fun and engaging course. I only wish it were longer, and I'm looking forward to watching other courses from the U of Alberta paleontology folks. My 10 yo also watched and enjoyed some sections with me. That he was able to understand and extrapolate information well enough to critically answer some of the quiz questions speaks to the excellent way the material was presented- both simply and thoroughly. Thank you for providing such high quality free science education materials. I just wish there were a way I could join y'all in the field!

By Max C

Apr 23, 2019

I loved this course a lot! It teaches a lot about not just dinosaurs but also other creatures that lived before and after dinosaurs; it also reviews many things I'd learned before from school-level geology, books, and scientific media, but it still adds more detail and explains them again. If you're unsure of something said, it almost always explains it either right when the topic is introduced or somewhere else in the course. Overall, I loved this course and it taught me a lot. I love telling the people I know neat facts and trivia from the lessons. Thank you for making this course :]

By JOSÉ P

May 15, 2020

I thank the University of Alberta, Canada for this opportunity that I greatly value. The Scientists in charge of the course, of the lessons and videos were very didactic, pleasant and facilitated the understanding of the topics for which, as a biology teacher in Venezuela, I congratulate them. I will use what I have learned in my high school classes. The PDF materials are very good and the links they have are very illustrative and informative. Thanks again and many successes. P.S. I would very much like to get a good quality didactic matrial like yours in Spanish.

By Renee N

May 24, 2018

Absolutely LOVED it!! I went into this course thinking I'd be able to name random dinosaurs and accumulate random facts but it was so much more. This course has taught me so much beyond just dinosaurs itself but really gave a glimpse of what the world was like when dinosaurs walked on this very planet. It also broke down a lot of topics like evolution theory and the history of earth, providing a very wholesome view. For someone who does not possess a very scientific mind I actually enjoyed this course very much. I highly recommend this for EVERYONE.

By Nickolas T B

Feb 02, 2017

Wow, what an awesome course. I can't find anything to complain about. The notes were useful and well-formatted, the video lectures were concise and full of clear language and examples to demonstrate ideas, and the quizzes were a lovely balance between easy and impossible, they gave just enough challenge to make me rack my brain for some detail I'd almost forgotten. Awesome course, I am walking away with what was once just a passion for dinosaurs is now a concrete starting point for an academic intrigue in the entire field of paleobiology.

By Edwin R

Jul 19, 2019

This was truly an amazing and thrilling learning experience. If you are taking this course you can be completely sure you are going to learn a lot about this amazing field. The professors are very welcoming and kind in the way they talk and teach throughout the videos, so you always feel the need to learn more. I completely recommend this course if you are willing to know more about dinosaurs in a deeper approach for beginners. I learnt a lot and I am very thankful with the University of Alberta for that. Thank you so much

By Pythor ( A

Dec 17, 2017

This is everything I've ever wanted from education. I was interested in this topic ever since middle school. My core education did not offer me such. So I had to seek out the education I want. As luck would have it. This class exists.

If anyone wishes to hone their paleontology skills or want to get into paleontology or just like dinosaurs. This is the course for you. This is a super easy class with super interesting lessons. I hopefully plan on coming to the University of Alberta to fulfill my paleontology dreams.

By Fran S

Sep 22, 2019

Although I've been fascinated by dinosaurs for years, this course offered me the chance to learn so much more about them than I had ever considered before. I especially appreciated the chance to interact with bone and skull 3D reproductions, and the lesson notes at the beginning of each section will serve as an ongoing resource, since I was able to export them as PDFs. I truly appreciate all the work that went into producing Dino 101. By the way -- I'm 72 years old. It's never too late to learn something new!

By Emil

Apr 26, 2020

Very nice course. A little bit long maybe. The girl leading the lectures was definitively customer friendly. (She looks very similar with the male lecturer. At one point I thought, that they were relatives. Now at the end of the course, when I see, that their family names are different, I understand it is not true) I took the course because of the topic. I wanted to hear an university point of view about dinosaurs. The other reason is that subtitles of an European language were available.

By Munawar J

Jun 18, 2017

This was a Great Learning Experience for me and my 5 year old son, Muaziz H Jatoi.

At the age 2, he been telling us that he wants to become and for a year he been claiming of being a Paleontologist, even he claimed, of being A Paleontologist, to the Researchers at Carthage Institute of Paleontology in Kenosha, WI.

Thanks a lot for such a resource & the opportunity to learn in the comfort of home. We would love to talk with Dr Philip Currie and his team of Graduate Students.

By Antonia T B

Sep 10, 2018

A really fascinating course.

I wish there would have been more drawings or skeletons when talking about a dinosaur (sometimes it was hard to follow and the pace was too fast. Also, it's always more interesting seeing pictures or maps than the face of the lecturer all the time). Also, I missed professor Philip John Currie. When he lectured the level went really high. But overall it was an excellent course.

Thanks a lot and many greetings from Spain / Antonia Tejeda Barros

By Illaria K

Dec 05, 2019

I found this course highly intriguing and was a great resource to prepare me for the Palaeontology course I am to start in September at University. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is interested in finding out more about dinosaurs (even if you aren't going to study them). Many thanks to the Dino 101 team for putting this course together. I am very much looking forward to September so that I can wow them with the terminology and facts that I have gained.

By Sid W V

This course expanded my petty understanding of Dinosaurs. Prior this course, I only know things about Dinosaurs thru movies and several children's book. This course is essential for Dino-nerds like me. I highly recommend this course for casual ancient life form learners looking to augment their knowledge. Other Natural Science such as Biology, Geology and Taxonomy were great inclusions to this course. If UA would put up a sequel course, I'll surely sign up.

By Rafael T R

Apr 15, 2020

An excellent course to everybody interested in dinosaurs, it explains from the basics all the paleobiology referring this amazing group and if you read all lesson papers it makes you understand advanced topics about them. Both Dr. Philip and Betsy are great teachers and share a lot of their knowledge about dinosaurs with a lot of joy as the teach it, making the course very pleasant, there is no doubt about their high degree of knowledge in the area.

By Brenda H

Aug 28, 2018

I took this class because the Dinosaur is the theme unit for this year's Camp Fire kids. As a leader I wanted to be knowledgeable for the questions that would come from the kids of all ages. This course offered more than answers; I enjoyed learning about dinosaurs and that has inspired me to dig further into their existence. I feel ready to give stories and lessons that will keep my kids focused on the topics I have for them this year.

By Rachel S

Feb 21, 2019

The instructors did an excellent job of explaining complex topics in an approachable, easily digested manner. It was very fun to learn how much our perceptions of dinosaurs have changed since I was a paleo-obsessed kid, and to take an even more in depth look at the science involved in classifying and discovering them. I may retake this course again in the future to try to solidify some of the more advanced concepts and facts in my mind.

By Thomas E M

Jan 03, 2017

Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology is a fantastic introduction to the world of Dinosaurs and to some of the science which underpins our understanding of them. The course is well designed and gradually builds upon your knowledge. The information is clearly presented and easy to follow, and most importantly - learn.

I have throughly enjoyed learning from this course and would recommend it to anyone, amateur or potential professional alike.

By Carol B

Jul 01, 2017

This course is well designed to engage people with varied backgrounds. If you want to know more about dinosaurs and how they came to be, evolved, and ultimately became extinct, this is a course that will do just that. The presenters are engaging and the fossil evidence, imagery, and interactive features all make this a course to look forward to sitting down with week after week. I highly recommend this course.

By Guilherme A R

Jan 03, 2019

Curso simplesmente maravilhoso. Direto, dinâmico e bem didático. Conteúdos de visualização pratica, interação com perguntas no meio das vídeo aulas e feedback positivo ao fim dos testes. Simplesmente excedeu totalmente todas as expectativas que já eram altas vindo de um curso da University of Alberta. Parabéns as pessoas que fizeram o curso e ao Coursera por disponibilizarem esse tipo de conteúdo maravilhoso.

By Alla S

May 29, 2017

I just want to say thanks to the Dino 101 team for an incredible job. It's just an amazing course - very interesting, detailed and professional. So much effort and work was put into this course and the fact that it is available to anyone who is willing to learn is a blessing. Professor Philip Currie is just an incredible person who is deeply passionate about what he does. Special thanks to him for Dino 101!

By Siddharth B

Jul 31, 2019

It was a really enthralling journey for me, eventhough I knew a lots of concepts previously. Anyway, I strongly recommend this course as it emphasizes on most of the concepts that paleontologists require the most. Also, the dedicated mentors teach in a way that makes you understand the concept in and out.

Once again, thanks to Dr. Philip Currie and Betsy and last but not the least the Coursera community.

By Mary P

Jul 06, 2018

Very interesting course on Dinosaurs and the Earth's environment during the Age of Dinosaurs. Particularly enjoyed learning about the different Eras of time and the evolution of creatures through these periods. The presenters are engaging and the course itself was well-presented and thorough! Loved every minute- even though it dispelled any illusions I might of had of Jurassic Park becoming reality ;)

By Jessie P

Jul 15, 2017

The material in this course was fascinating and well presented. Students needed a certain amount of basic biology and geology to understand the course material, and there were units covering this information. I enjoyed those lectures presented from dig sites and in museums alongside fossils the most, as, for me, the largest attraction is simply seeing what dinosaurs and their predecessors looked like.