Back to Ecology: Ecosystem Dynamics and Conservation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ecology: Ecosystem Dynamics and Conservation by American Museum of Natural History

This course is an introduction to ecology and ecosystem dynamics using a systems thinking lens. Through a case study on Mozambique's Gorongosa National Park, learners will explore how scientists study ecosystems, and investigate the complex array of factors that inform management efforts. At the end of the course, learners will be able to grapple with real-world conservation questions, such as whether an ecosystem can recover from anthropogenic disruption and what role humans can, and should, play in that recovery....

AJ

Jun 02, 2019

This was particularly in-depth on the sciences of ecology, and having it based around a particular conservation project made it easier to follow each progressive lecture and concept that was explored.

AA

Jul 08, 2020

I really enjoyed taking this course. It gave me good knowledge base in ecology and conservation. The course is very well structured and is suitable for people with no prior knowledge in the topic.

51 - 75 of 521 Reviews for Ecology: Ecosystem Dynamics and Conservation

By Milena H R

Apr 03, 2020

Este curso brinda una visión integral de cómo afrontar las problemáticas ambientales y da a entender la importancia de un enfoque claro para iniciar una investigación y cómo el mismo proceso puede modificar las necesidades y los retos.

Muy motivador ver el trabajo en la reserva de Gorongoza y todo el camino que han recorrido. Esto mismo lo hace un curso con aplicación.

By Заплитный И Д

May 26, 2019

Thank you very much for your hard but so fruitful work. For me, as a political scientist, it was extremely interesting to learn about various aspects of the formation, management and preservation of the environment, to get acquainted with the various theories and views of scientists-practitioners on such urgent and disturbing problems. From Russia with love.

By Shinad K

May 16, 2020

I am a post graduate in zoology especially on the field of biodiversity conservation and management, so I am very interested in ecology and conservation of biodiversity. So, for that this course is an excellent one for people to get ideas about ecology and their conservation strategies. We can earn from the organisms level or species level to the biosphere.

By José

Jun 07, 2020

i would like to state how much i enjoyed this course, and how motivating i found it. I believe it's very well organized and complete, meeting many key ecological concepts and taking into account the human roll in conservation, which is becoming more and more important. Many thanks and congratulations to the team behind this course, you did a great job!

José

By Micaela R

Aug 06, 2019

As an environmental manager, there weren't many new topics for me, but I did learn more details and acquired richness to knowledge I already had. I did, though, learn a lot about conservation efforts and system thinking. This is an amazing course, clear enough for beginners and rich enough for experienced environmentalists/ecologists to enjoy both alike.

By KALYANI L

Ecology can no longer be termed as field of study for environmentalists and nature enthusiasts. As termed in the course, we are in the era called Anthropocene and we are the major players of the entire world. This also comes with the novel and pristine responsibility. We humans have to protect what is ours- the amazing biodiversity of the planet Earth.

By Ella M

Apr 20, 2020

I am a Scottish high school student currently studying biology and I wanted to learn more about ecology and conservation practices. I completed this course whilst at home because of the current covid-19 situation and it has kept me occupied and interested and left with the desire to learn more about ecology and human impacts on biodiversity, thank you!

By Theresa W

Jul 28, 2020

I really enjoyed this course and learned a lot! As a current college student studying biology, I found this course very valuable for looking at ecology from a broader perspective and especially appreciated the numerous examples included. It would be hard to come away from this course without looking at at least some aspects of ecology in a new light.

By Dean B

Mar 15, 2019

Excellent content, examples, and lecturers. Thought the breadth and depth of the material was perfect. Extremely effective use of Gorongosa National Park throughout course. Enjoyed the scenes shot in the park. Appreciated the inclusion of a little math/modeling. Very satisfied with this course, enjoyed it, and feel much more knowledgeable.

By Taylor H

Jun 28, 2020

This course was extremely interesting and useful! I am a second-year veterinary student who hopes to practice conservation medicine once I graduate. I wanted to take a supplemental course that taught me about conservation and ecology. This course was perfect for that and was packed with useful information. I highly suggest taking this course.

By Bhavya D

Sep 21, 2020

THIS WAS MY FIRST EXPERIENCE LEARNING ONLINE AND I HAVE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED IT. ECOLOGY: ECOSYSTEM DYNAMICS AND CONSERVATION IS ONE OF THE BEST TOPIC TO LEARN. THE COURSE IS QUITE VERY INTERESTING FOR NEW LEARNERS OF LIFE SCIENCE. I AM GLAD THAT I GOT ANY OPPORTUNITY TO BE A PART OF IT AND EXPLORE MORE.

By Vaishnavi A

Jun 27, 2020

Excellent course. I had read a lot about ecology and conservation through other mediums, but this course was essentially different for me as I was able to actually see and understand the problems that scientists face and how solutions are worked out ( the mathematical models) through the Gorongosa National Park example. Loved it.

By Sabrina

Apr 16, 2020

Found this course provided a great introduction to what the study of Ecology is and the different topics you would learn about in pursuing this field of education. Would recommend that explanations be provided for each of the exam questions in order to further understand why an answer is correct or wrong. Great course, thank you!

By SOUBHIK M

Jul 09, 2020

I have now a clear view to see a ecosystem, how it's work, it's function and effect in our life. The main theme of this course; how to say, an ecosystem is recovered? That is widely demonstrated through the entire course, i felt amaizing to get a chance to admit in the curriculum. Thank you for giving me a part in this project.

By Vladislav Z

Oct 17, 2020

I enjoyed taking this MOOC, it contained a balanced mix of reading and video lectures, felt like it was the appropriate length while presenting a sufficient quantity of information, examples and thorough studies on Gorongosa National Park. Also, I felt that the information presented in this course is interesting and topical.

By Han H Z

May 15, 2020

A meaningful course that is simple to understand and emphasizes the importance of understanding how ecology works and, in a way, using nature itself to solve climate issues. The 'Systems thinking' concept is eye-opening for me and I see myself using it often now. Well done to every person involved in producing this course!

By Jingtian Z

Feb 02, 2020

I like this course, I know about Gonragosa and how life become rare there. I also know how to think systemly, this is the basic of understanding ecosystems. I now how hard we try to recover Gonragosa's ecosystem. Have we successfully recover the ecosystem to pre-war status by killing waterbuck and producing other animals.

By Dr. R S V

Jun 08, 2020

I amaze with the way of delivery of scientific interpretations in very simpler way. I got new dimension to understand concept of ecology it’s dynamics. It will help me in practicing conservation philosophies with proper understanding. Thank u to all who put their efforts in providing it on Coursera learning platform

By ANGELO K S

Jul 16, 2020

This is by far the most comprehensive yet concise program I have encountered here in Coursera. I love the idea of having a real scenario of conservation efforts and studies (Gorongosa National Park) as an example for the program, that way we could apply the things we learned from the lecture directly to the field.

By Redvers F C

Jun 21, 2020

This course is the best course that I have ever studied. The lectures were fascinating, intriguing and the lecturers were all extremely informative, my interest in these subjects will undoubtedly grow because of their ability to hold my interest on these fascinating topics of great importance to our natural world.

By Sarah H

I have no prior professional experience or education in ecology, but am interested in learning about conservation. This course provided me with a solid foundation to understand how to talk about conservation in terms of ecology and psychology. Includes a solid mix of mathematics, science, and anthropology.

By Richard M M

May 12, 2020

This online Ecology class is awesome! I learned so many insights about how ecological systems work and how components of ecosystems inter-relate with one another. The conservation part of the lessons are also eye-opener into the real world aspects of sustainability, development and resource management.

By Christina M

Jun 21, 2020

The information was amazing and thorough. It might help send some points home if you ask questions during some of the longer lectures. I am leaving this class with some amazing information I can use to help conserve my land for generations to come. Plus a renewed interest in what I can do globally.

By Miguel a O b

Sep 07, 2020

i coursed ecology the last semester and this course is magnifique. it gave a wider perspective of the ecology and clarified me a lot of other concepts. Also congratulation to people who do the traductions so not native speakers like me can have access to this type of high quality education.

By Shifath B S

Jun 10, 2020

I must say that this 5 weeks course changed my point of viewing and understanding ecology, how we interact with our ecosystem, learned to see beyond my visualization. Thanks to Dr. Ana Luz Porzecanski and also the other educators for designing and delivering such a great course curriculum.