Back to Understanding economic policymaking

Understanding economic policymaking, IE Business School

About this Course

This is the first of the three courses part of the Globalization, Economic Growth and Stability Specialization. This course will employ a non-technical approach to analyze how governments use policy to influence a country's economy. Upon completing the course you should be able to discuss national debts and deficits, examine fiscal and monetary policy and their appropriateness to the situation of an economy, and anticipate the results of fiscal and monetary policies and structural reform on a country. These concepts will give you the tools to develop your own position in many current economic debates, such as fiscal stimulus vs. austerity, the merits of quantitative easing, the need for higher interest rates or the future growth path of many modern economies....

By PH

Dec 09, 2015

Excellent overview economics course. Dr. Allard does a fantastic job explaining basic economic concepts and principles so that a novice can better understand this one critical aspect of their world.

By KK

Dec 27, 2015

Great insights, I now feel like I am macro-economically literate and I will be using this information when interviewing and now possible grilling certain politicians in my town!\n\nThank you Gayle!

147 Reviews

By Victor Lopez de Munain

Jan 08, 2019

Very clear, adapted to any beginner's level.

By HeeKyoung Chun

Nov 05, 2018

Informative!

By Carl-Johann SIMON-GABRIEL

Jul 15, 2018

Very clear first introduction to the mainstream economic viewpoint on global policy making.

By Mar Gerome Abana

Jun 27, 2018

This is an awesome course for people who forgot how the economy works. The approach of the course was refreshing and in depth without taking too much of your time with useless definitions and exercises. I really liked the models and the simulator because it adds another layer of learning for the students to see the concepts at work. This is highly recommendable for everyone who forgot their basic economics class and to have a richer understanding of economic policy making.

By Nadav Reis

Jun 25, 2018

The teacher is great. The material is easy to understand. I have found myself reading news I wouldn't have cared about in the past. I am glad I took this course.

By Rafael Ortega

Jun 24, 2018

Extraordinary course, highly recommended !Gayle is a great instructor, one of the best I have ever seen. Thank you very much !

By Alejandro Arellano

Apr 15, 2018

Excellent course. Very clear explanations along all the modules. Helps you understand what governments and central banks are doing and why.

By Camilo Prates

Mar 27, 2018

This is one of the clearest explanations of economic policy I have seen. My only reason not to give it five stars is that I feel the edition I took of the course had been poorly revised. There are several issues that need to be updated and even the exam wording apparently references a previous version of the course. Nevertheless, I highly recommend "Understanding economic policymaking".

By Ola Orekunrin

Jan 22, 2018

Excellent course, well presented, my only wish is that included some developmental economics for developing countries

By Shwetha Grace Eapen

Jan 04, 2018

Excellent course. It really helps you in giving a good understanding of the policymaking process.