Back to Ecosystem Services: a Method for Sustainable Development

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ecosystem Services: a Method for Sustainable Development by University of Geneva

Ecosystem services are a way of thinking about – and evaluating – the goods and services provided by nature that contribute to the well-being of humans. This MOOC will cover scientific (technical), economic, and socio-political dimensions of the concept through a mix of theory, case-studies, interviews with specialists and a serious-game. By the end of this course, our aim is to enable you to: • define the concept of ecosystem services, its principles and limitations • understand the key services associated with any ressource (e.g., fresh water) through readings and case-studies • appreciate the advantages and potential risks of monetising ecosystem services • appreciate the social dimensions (power issues, cultural biases) embedded within any method • integrate tactical advice on mainstreaming this approach into policy and standard government practices • Optional: learn how to map ecosystem services with GIS tools The session that runs May 29th- July 10th will be actively monitored by the instructors, and learners will have the opportunity to ask questions. This course was developed by instructors from the University of Geneva with the help of numerous researchers and input from the Geneva Water Hub and the Natural Capital Project. The course was financed by the University of Geneva, the Global Programme Water Initiatives of the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), and the Luc Hoffmann Institute. This MOOC is supported by the Geneva Water Hub and the University of Geneva along with the MOOC in « Water Resources Management and Policy » (www.coursera.org/learn/water-management) and the one in « International Water Law » (www.coursera.org/learn/droit-eau). We look forward to you joining us!...

DS
Sep 6, 2017

Great course. Awesome introduction to Ecosystem Services. Well-balanced portrayal of the many tensions and difficulties in the field. Also a great exposure to MANY experts and many diverse opinions.

C
Jun 4, 2017

I found this course very exciting and informative!! I learned a great deal about valuing ecosystem services and its complex challenges. I will highly suggest this course to fellow learners!

26 - 50 of 182 Reviews for Ecosystem Services: a Method for Sustainable Development

By Marvin A R S

Aug 10, 2021

Un curso muy interesante y sobre todo muy útil para quienes nos dedicamos a trabajar con el medio ambiente y buscamos garantizar su protección y resguardo. Brinda herramientas que tienen un gran potencial de generar muchos beneficios para la gestión del ambiente y sobro todo de elevar la calidad de vida y el bienestar de las personas que se benefician de los servicios que brinda la naturaleza.

By Leila N

Apr 26, 2020

This was one of the very best online course I have been given the opportunity to join. The quality of the instructors and materials provided was excellent. While of course there are intrinsic limitations to such a course format, I definitely feel like I've learnt very valuable notions in the field of ecosystem services and can now continue to develop these with my own readings.

By Shafiq A

Jan 3, 2019

It was just a wonderful opportunity to learn this course. As i feel, this course has significantly contributed towards my understandings in ESs, their valuation and more importantly, how it can be used to transform it into a decision support system. Thanks to Coursera and thanks to University of Geneva and all Course Instructors to make this happen for me.

By Ivo V

Nov 30, 2020

This course is very interesting for anybody interesting in sustainability, circular economies or sustainable land use methods. The videos are produced very well and all the instructors provide clear and easy to follow instructions. The quizzes can be challenging, but in a good way that promotes deeper thinking about the topic at hand.

By Abhay S

Extremely interesting and very well presented course. Different perspective of eminent speakers is thought provoking, especially, some critics, which lets you imagine a different perspective. Overall, a great learning experience. Now wish, to really implement such learning's on the job in practical scenario. Great work by organisers.

By Mae A P

Oct 25, 2020

Thank you so much for the knowledge I gained on this course. I am an MS Environmental Science student and this adds to my current knowledge inndeed. Even if we have tackled this inn school, I still gained new info from this course. I liked best that you presented the "anti" ES approach and the dangers of using this method. THANK YOU

By Akis P

Apr 13, 2020

Very important and useful lesson with detailed refereneces and specific tools provided by scientific research and literature, Equally important were the assignments which helped to better undestanding of the precedure of ESs evaluation and management and interactions with decision makers, local communities and interested companies.

By Okoseimiema A J

Dec 30, 2019

The desire for understanding the application of ecosystem services has been met. The videos and the transcription helped to make the course very interesting. With the help of this course, i am able to confidently state where my PhD research will be - Mainstreaming. Whilst i seek for scholarship, I am most grateful to you Coursera.

By Mereana W

Jun 27, 2019

I enjoyed this course as it further developed the modelling skills I learnt as part of my masters in environmental health. I recommend this course to others who are interested in recognising cultural and social concepts and want to apply scientific methods to better inform others of the value of cultural aspects of ecosystems.

By Harry P

Aug 12, 2020

Really well crafted course. Videos are very inciteful with interactive elements. Having wanted to persue a career in environmental service management, i feel much better prepared to study it at uni, and undertake a career in it. Thanks a lot University of Geneva for all the time and effort spent into making the course.

By Luisa G

Jun 1, 2020

Excellent course. It helped me a lot as I am currently performing an ES assessment and I now feel more confident about it. I learned a lot during this course. Well organized, adequate content, excellent speakers/teachers. Highly recommended to get an introduction and start a practical work in this respect.

By Beto

Oct 5, 2017

This was the best course I have at Coursera. Professor Martin created an excellent content, connecting with professors from different view-point, and giving a thorough perspective of Ecosystem Services at the same time making us thinking about how to move to the next step. Thank you very much!

By Lyndre N

May 5, 2019

I'm currently studying a PhD in Environmental Science at Uni, and this course helped me to understand the context and practical use of the ecosystem service approach. I fully recommend that natural and economic/business students take a look at some of the materials and videos here.

By Ada C M L

Nov 12, 2019

This course was something that I'm not expect, there are a many things that I had no idea, ecosystem services,it is the course that gave me the curiosity of, what is sustainability? Where can I implement it?, what can I do for improvement the sustainability in my country.

By Daniela N

Jun 20, 2020

It was a amazing course. I learned a lot andIt was a amazing course. I learnt a lot and this topic, for me, should be the most important in this moment for human sociaty. Every single country should improve the used of Ecosystems Services in a sustanble way

By Leonardo O

Jul 31, 2021

A​ Universidade de Genebra foi excelente em seu método de ensino, e estou muito grato de poder ter tido acesso a este valioso conhecimento para contribuir com um mundo onde a natureza seja respeitada em toda a sua biodiversidade.

G​ratidão.

L​eo de Oliveira.

By Edward D

Jun 4, 2017

The course is very detailed and yet remains accessible. I partiularlyThe tests are slightly redundant (often you are asked to given your opinion) but I don't place too much importance as the certificate, it's more the chance to acquire new knowledge.

By Tânia D C

Jan 6, 2022

I consider this a very well structured course, which allowed me to gain a deeper understanding on Ecosystem Services, methods of valuation, advantages and risks. I would recommend it to anyone who already has a base understanding on the subject.

By Maxime P

May 6, 2021

Very interesting content, we learn a lot on various subjects, in social and natural sciences. It's appreciable that we can deepen the subject through essays, not only quizzes. I recommend to take the course on natural capital project also

By Sushma S

Dec 21, 2017

Great instructors, guest speakers, diversity of topics, well structured format and great supplemental course materials make this course one of the most relevant and interesting classes I ever have taken. Thank you for offering this course.

By Cinthya Z

Mar 6, 2021

Great course, gives the basic knowledge but also main issues to take into consideration for a critical analysis of the implementation of ecosystem services. You will get the basic tools to start in this area with a multidisciplinary view.

By Alyssa C L L

Oct 26, 2020

This course is very well-structured. It provided learners with a good mix of theoretical knowledge, case studies, and insights from industry experts. If you are interested in sustainability and interdisciplinarity, do take this course!

By Mangesh K

Dec 8, 2020

Those who really want to contribute in sustainable existance of human life...should earn latest knowledge of ES. Thanks to all faculty, Martin and team, for this educative sessions. Wishing you all Happy New Year and Merry Chrismas...

By Hanna M

Really enjoyed the class. It presented views from a lot of different perspective which is so important when discussing such a new and complicated concept. Assignment 2 was kind of vague though, I could have used further instruction.

By Matheus F S

Mar 27, 2020

I am a forest engineering student and this course is being of great value in development, technology, ethics. It is interesting to see how there are some public policies in the interest of ecosystem services around the world.