Back to e-Learning Ecologies: Innovative Approaches to Teaching and Learning for the Digital Age

Learner Reviews & Feedback for e-Learning Ecologies: Innovative Approaches to Teaching and Learning for the Digital Age by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

For three decades and longer we have heard educators and technologists making a case for the transformative power of technology in learning. However, despite the rhetoric, in many ways and at most institutional sites, education is still relatively untouched by technology. Even when technologies are introduced, the changes sometimes seem insignificant and the results seem disappointing. If the print textbook is replaced by an e-book, do the social relations of knowledge and learning necessarily change at all or for the better? If the pen-and-paper test is mechanized, does this change the nature of our assessment systems? Technology, in other words, need not necessarily bring significant change. Technology might not even represent a step forward in education. But what might be new? How can we use technologies to innovate in education? This course explores seven affordances of e-learning ecologies, which open up genuine possibilities for what we call New Learning – transformative, 21st century learning: 1. Ubiquitous Learning 2. Active Knowledge Making 3. Multimodal Meaning 4. Recursive Feedback 5. Collaborative Intelligence 6. Metacognition 7. Differentiated Learning These affordances, if recognized and harnessed, will prepare learners for success in a world that is increasingly dominated by digital information flows and tools for communication in the workplace, public spaces, and personal life. This course offers a wide variety of examples of learning technologies and technology implementations that, to varying degrees, demonstrate these affordances in action. -------------------------------- Recommended Background -------------------------------- This course is designed for people interested in the future of education and the "learning society," including people who may wish to join education as a profession, practicing teachers interested in exploring future directions for a vocation that is currently undergoing transformation, and community and workplace leaders who regard their mission to be in part "educative." -------------------------------- Related Resources -------------------------------- This course is based on the following book: https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Ecologies-Bill-Cope/dp/1138193720 Additional online resources are available here: https://newlearningonline.com/e-learning -------------------------------- Take this Course for Credit at the University of Illinois -------------------------------- This course has the same content and anticipates the same level of contribution by students in the e-Learning Ecologies course offered to graduate certificate, masters, and doctoral level students in the Learning Design and Leadership Program in the College of Education at the University of Illinois. Of course, in the nature of MOOCs many people will just want to view the videos and casually join some of the discussions. Some people say that these limited kinds of participation offer evidence that MOOCs suffer from low retention rates. Far from it – we say that any level of engagement is good engagement. On the other hand, if you would like to take this course for credit at the University of Illinois, you will find more information about our program here: https://newlearningonline.com/kalantzis-and-cope/learning-design-and-leadership-program And you can apply here: https://education.illinois.edu/epol/programs-degrees/ldl -------------------------------- The Learning Design and Leadership Series of MOOCs -------------------------------- This course is one of a series of eight MOOCs created by Bill Cope and Mary Kalantzis for the Learning Design and Leadership program at the University of Illinois. If you find this MOOC helpful, please join us in others! e-Learning Ecologies: Innovative Approaches to Teaching and Learning for the Digital Age https://www.coursera.org/learn/elearning New Learning: Principles and Patterns of Pedagogy https://www.coursera.org/learn/newlearning Assessment for Learning https://www.coursera.org/learn/assessmentforlearning Learning, Knowledge, and Human Development https://www.coursera.org/learn/learning-knowledge-human-development Ubiquitous Learning and Instructional Technologies https://www.coursera.org/learn/ubiquitouslearning Negotiating Learner Differences: Towards Productive Diversity in Learning https://www.coursera.org/learn/learnerdifferences Literacy Teaching and Learning: Aims, Approaches and Pedagogies https://www.coursera.org/learn/literacy-teaching-learning Multimodal Literacies: Communication and Learning in the Era of Digital Media https://www.coursera.org/learn/multimodal-literacies...

BG
Apr 12, 2020

This course was very interesting and thought provoking. I would certainly recommend for any teacher that is now trying to work with their students from within an online forum. Thank you!!!

LR
Jul 8, 2020

This course is Amazing. The learning opportunity helps me to become more EQUIPT with the necessary information and practices that I need to be more effective in my work. Thank you so much.

51 - 75 of 94 Reviews for e-Learning Ecologies: Innovative Approaches to Teaching and Learning for the Digital Age

By M T A

Jun 25, 2020

very informative and modern concepts in e-learning has been discussed which was interesting

By Ben-Natasha J

Nov 16, 2020

A wonderful enlightening course that has given me a new perspective on online learning.

By Sakunthala C

Jul 5, 2020

Provides educators with a wide perspective of how to approach teaching and learning

By Tessa C

May 4, 2020

If you want to reflect on the revolutionary potential of e-learning do this course!

By Cecilia S G

Aug 3, 2020

An extraordinary course in a time when e-Learning has become of great relevance.

By naglaa t a

Jul 28, 2020

Thank you very much for the helpful information I got, I hope for more progress

By Carla W

Jul 28, 2020

I learned so much in this course, and know that I will be a better instructor.

By Laurence B C

Jun 9, 2020

Thanks for the wonderful opportunity to learn more on e-learning ecologies.

By Athina

Dec 30, 2020

Though-provoking and extremely useful to anyone working in education!

By Elke H

Jun 2, 2017

so interesting, multi-layered and stimulating. As somebody not in the

By Ximena C

Nov 26, 2020

A great course, I'm thinking to take another course with you!

By Hülya M

Feb 5, 2017

The content of the course is satisfying. I recommend it.

By manisha o

Jul 29, 2020

I love to learn such topics in future as well

By Dylan88

Sep 15, 2018

Good interpretation, logic reason

By Kelly J C

Dec 1, 2019

The course content was relevant.

By Marike B

Jun 3, 2019

Great course - very informative!

By Mikaela M

Sep 4, 2017

wonderful inspirational course

By Kiran G

Jan 2, 2018

Eye opener for any teacher!!

By Lasandra C

Aug 11, 2020

aa

By Peter A

Sep 21, 2020

This course had AMAZING content. The information in the videos was enough to keep me thinking about Instructional Design for a long time. I knocked it down a star, though, because:

1. The Scholar and Coursera thing, though, it worked OK, was a little weird. I get that you want to funnel students into your platform, but it was still a little weird. That being said, it worked pretty smoothly.

2. I LITERALLY found about a dozen or so "updates" in a row that were directly plagiarized. I worked hard and thought hard about mine. I was proud of the ~300 words I wrote for each of them. It was a dispiriting experience to realize that many of the people in this class are probably getting by with just copying content. That blemishes the whole class for me. Please deal with this.

Otherwise, the content is fantastic. Feel free to contact me to discuss bullet point 2 if you'd like. thanks, peter

By Gayathri

May 2, 2017

Overall, it was an interesting course that touched upon various learning/teaching strategies. The course is relevant in the present times of digital transformation sweeping the globe. As responsible citizens, we need to keep reinventing the wheel when it comes our learning and teaching mindset. In this respect, this course has been a catalyst to nudge us to think and expand our cognitive horizons. Thank you!

By Mary E

Oct 4, 2020

I really enjoyed the course and its content, especially the opportunity to do independent research and writing. I will be using what I learned in my next job, and I believe it's given me some great tools for how to think about eLearning. I wish there had been more assigned/suggested readings for each section of the course, though I did appreciate the chance to follow my interests and read accordingly.