Back to Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles by Arizona State University

Through a series of engaging metaphors and stories, prospective and current EFL/ESL teachers will identify, summarize, and evaluate 7 basic language learning paradigms. Learners will be presented information on such foundational principles as motivation, risk taking, two different modes of learning, and balancing the teacher profession. Learners are also given an understanding of basic techniques founded on those principles, such as teacher talk, looking “ridiculous” in order to lower the affective filter, and networking. With these foundational principles in mind, ESL/EFL teachers will scrutinize common assumptions about language learning by comparing how they stack up to research-based core principles....
Highlights
Engaging instructors
(331 Reviews)
Interactive content
(104 Reviews)

JJ

Aug 18, 2018

This is a very useful course as I begin my studies to prepare to teach English abroad. ASU is a recognized university and the price is very reasonable. I look forward to the next course in the series.

Nov 30, 2019

A great course! It is a well planned and goes light taking into consideration that the learners work as teachers. I have become a great fan of Dr. Dixon and hope to learn more in the modules to come.

1751 - 1775 of 1,894 Reviews for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

By Ahmed A

Mar 16, 2016

ر

By Rey H

Oct 03, 2016

I have just finished the first course of this specialization. I don't expect it all to be as easy as this was for me. I'd say the coolest thing, the way I see it is that, throughout the whole course, they never talked about grammar or rules, rather about how we learn best; how students are affected by teachers; pitfalls of teacher burnout, how to's a few, and how not to, yes, but they mostly stayed toward the positive. Sure, there were some things which might be a little exclusively for language teaching, but I'd say, more, really, the things they explained were about teaching and learning in general. Anyway, I can get that grammar stuff out of books , on the net, or even on the Youtube. It's what makes me a good or a better or a worse or a useless teacher I want to learn. And up until NOW, it's exactly THAT they've been helping me with. One real waker-upper was when they suggested that neither the world, nor the classroom is ever (and never going to be) perfect. THAT was a load off my mind, and one of the most encouraging teacher helps I've EVER had: like, "Don't look at what you don't have, but what you DO have is what makes you a "professional"! (even if the lights go out!) Many Thanks! ---Rey Hudson

By Alejandra R

Apr 01, 2018

I would highly recommend this course to anyone who has little experience or really needs to learn classroom strategies for teaching language, or even teaching in general. I'm not giving it 5 stars because even though I can't say I didn't learn anything from it (I did), 39.99 per course for a few courses (is it 3, 4 total?) is a little much for me. I was seeking something for my professional development, I don't regret it. The teacher in this is very clear and charismatic, the information is easy to understand and never boring, and the strategies and theory, which is only discussed lightly (with additional resources) is extremely useful. I understand why it's a paid course, but it's pricey for my teacher salary.

By Paul J M

Mar 14, 2016

Although much of the content seems common sense it is probably necessary to build a common foundation here for later courses. The peer assessments are potentially interesting but, in practice, the majority are so trivial--3 or 4 sentences repeating back material from the lectures--as to be hardly worth reading. Since there is no real qualitative assessment in the peer grading, the work put in by a minority is not acknowledged nor the shortcomings of many highlighted.

The instructor is unbelievably upbeat and animated which some will love and others. . . not. I tend to be in the latter camp but recognise this may be due to cultural differences or simply that I'm a boring old sod!

By Dicle Ç

Mar 05, 2016

I think it's a really good opportunity to be able to obtain a TESOL certificate online and this course seems to be able to do it very efficiently. However, I have found the approach of the style of the lessons a little bit slow and too dramatic- and somewhat even childish. I'm sure the planning of this certificate program is to ensure that people who take it will remember it so that they can really make use of it in their profession- so they probably avoided long and boring lectures. But still, I must admit that the lessons look a little bit annoying sometimes :) Still, thank you for the opportunity.

By Seddik B

Nov 29, 2019

This course was and still is a great start for individuals who want to start their teaching carriers. It contains amazing videos, readings and assignments. The missing 'STAR" was for the peer graded assignments. Even though my assignments were graded in a short time by my friends and peers, others really had to wait a bit longer. But their assignments were graded finally. To sum up, I recommend you to enroll in this course as well as to the other five courses by AZU.

By David L A

Dec 05, 2015

The course is good enough--a means to an end. The 4-part, six weeks apart format is kind of bothersome because the wait period sort of dampens the momentum and enthusiasm created during the first course (especially if you complete the whole thing in a week-end). The course is well put together and infused with a little humor. The visuals are good and if you're in the right mood, the course is enjoyable and ifun to interact with folks from around the world.

By Ken M

Jan 08, 2020

This is a fun, informative and helpful class for anyone wanting to become an effective language teacher. It's a nice mix of best practices and proven techniques that really work. I'm more confident and encouraged by this constructive approach toward teaching teachers how to most effectively help and motivate adult students to learn a new language. The ASU presenters and content team are very knowledgeable and passionate about teaching.

By JENNIFER O

May 23, 2017

For a neophyte to online learning, I feel lucky to undergo a course where the instructor/ course presenter made the lessons easy to understand, the lectures were presented as if the instructor and the learner are in the same room and not just the presenter talking to the camera. It became easy for me to finish up the segment of the specialization and was driven to push through with the entire course because of it. Kudos to you all!

By Ann B P

Oct 10, 2017

Excellent teaching but not as amazingly easy to access as the linguistics course or the Mandarin courses I took, probably because of the demand. I had to complain several times because I was sometimes directed to a module I had already completed. I was charged twice in September, once on the 2nd and again on the 10th. I supposedly began for free, so I think my first charge should have been on the 10th.

By Weisi Z

Dec 04, 2015

The course is very inspiring and educational. I do appreciate that coursera and ASU can put this course on site. It synthesizes education theories and actual teaching experiences. However, I do think this course would improve a lot if teaching practices could be incorporated because for teaching professionals the teaching itself is the most important thing.

By lukasz f

Oct 26, 2016

well organized, user friendly, brief but informative, based on videos (nevertheless, a transcription is always provided), if you are fond of metaphors you will definitely enjoy it. you have a choice to prepare a video clip (if you prefer the spoken language) or an essay (if you prefer the written language) for each assignment

By Carlos B

Dec 22, 2015

Estuvo muy bueno, de pronto sería bueno incluir más videos en los que se pone en práctica los distintos principios. De todas maneras, debo reconocer que es una muy buena alternativa para aquellos que se inician en la enseñanza y quieren tener una idea más clara sobre lo que implica enseñar. Felicitaciones!!!

By Lingling Y

Jan 23, 2020

The content is clear and the instructors are engaging. However, I was expecting the course to focus more onto how to teach English like how to teach grammars etc. Nonetheless, I learnt a great deal. It helped me to revise some of the things I had learnt in teaching college. I enjoyed the course thoroughly.

By Luis M G M

Jul 05, 2018

Although it is an introductory course I would have preferred to have a hard course in this first part. However it is an excellent course and it sheds light on many topics in the teaching area. I strongly recommend it to everybody interested in learning more about English teaching.

By Oriana S M T

Feb 20, 2020

The course portrays the general overview of being an English teacher, the main reflections on classroom language instruction and mainly focusing on the students language acquisition, opening our eyes to understand the opportunities us teachers have every single class we teach at.

By Naomi S

Mar 12, 2016

I know that it would be near impossible to do this on a website like Coursera where thousands of people are probably enrolled in your course, but it would be great if there was some real evaluation (teachers or experienced alums to comment on the quality) of our essays/responses.

By Johan H

Jan 19, 2019

Thank you to the team for insightful learning - and for being such good teachers!

You helped me deal with myths about teaching and specifically language teaching and inspires me to keep going.

Your work is structured, well researched and yo are fund to watch Dr Dixon!

Well done.

By Jeremy W

Mar 30, 2016

A nice introductory course. For people that already have some Teaching or Language Acquisition under their belt, there may be some feeling of review. However, there is also valuable information and fresh angles on how to look at some aspects of language learning and teaching.

By Darnelle L R

Jan 31, 2016

I learned some great techniques in this course, one in particular is to the 80/20 rule. Language teachers should allow learners to talk more, and teachers talk less! My only drawback is that I could not see my own responses to Essential Questions or feedback from my peers.

By José I G U

Jan 26, 2016

Great! If this was the first I'm excited to start the others. The content is very instructive, a lot of concepts and useful tools. They should add more content per week, because is too little material to study per week. Thus, sometimes it seens to be boring. But it's ok.

By Faridah H

Dec 19, 2015

I liked the course and I found it useful . I will recommend it to my friends. However , some of the instructions are not clear. I understood that I have time to catch up till Dec 21st. But now, My assignment and editing are not accepted and I want to know what I can do.

By Opraha M A

Sep 25, 2018

This course presented the material in a very clear and understandable manner. The instructors used a lot of great metaphors and examples to engage learners and clarify the content. Anyone could take this course whether you have teaching experience or not.

By Lukas S

Feb 26, 2018

I really liked the course, as it was intuitive, well set-up and good to handle in an every-day-setting. And although I understand that the videos are meant to inspire the students (teachers), sometimes the childlike approach gets a little bit to much.

By Chayarat

Oct 17, 2018

This course is such a great example of micro learning. I could learn new things in very simple ways. The content is great, the website is very supportive. I totally recommend this course to anyone who wants to teach.