Back to Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

Teach English Now! Foundational Principles, Arizona State University

About this Course

Through a series of engaging metaphors and stories, prospective and current EFL/ESL teachers will identify, summarize, and evaluate 7 basic language learning paradigms. Learners will be presented information on such foundational principles as motivation, risk taking, two different modes of learning, and balancing the teacher profession. Learners are also given an understanding of basic techniques founded on those principles, such as teacher talk, looking “ridiculous” in order to lower the affective filter, and networking. With these foundational principles in mind, ESL/EFL teachers will scrutinize common assumptions about language learning by comparing how they stack up to research-based core principles....
Highlights
Engaging instructors
(331 Reviews)
Interactive content
(104 Reviews)

By JJ

Aug 18, 2018

This is a very useful course as I begin my studies to prepare to teach English abroad. ASU is a recognized university and the price is very reasonable. I look forward to the next course in the series.

By NL

Jan 13, 2017

Thank you so much for this opportunity to learn. I come from a precarious environment of social disorders, and I now have the means to an end. It looks it will be a very good journey... thank you!

1,425 Reviews

By Seema Das

Feb 22, 2019

As an English teacher, I would recommend this course to each person who is interested in making impact in the lives of your ESL students by going deeper pedagogy of ESL teaching. I learnt the practical aspects of many pedagogical concepts. Our instructor, Dr. Shane Dixon is an amazing teacher.

By Kalbiyeva Rovnag

Feb 21, 2019

I'm glad that I'm taking this course, and I hope the course will help me a lot to develop my teaching method. I am enjoying the course

By abdullah alhussein

Feb 21, 2019

very useful

By Guillermo Adolfo Morales Lopez

Feb 20, 2019

This is an excellent course. It helped me a lot by teaching me a lot of basic principles about teaching that I didn't know. I think that the information given in this course is key to understand the role of a teacher and stay motivated, so we can help students learn and develop the best they can. I'm completely satisfied with this course and I recommend it 100 percent.

By Hicham Manssouri

Feb 20, 2019

I've learnt a lot from this valuable course. Thank your ASU and Coursera from making learning easier and accessable for us.

By Cindy Espinoza Rhoton

Feb 19, 2019

Vry happy to have signed up to this course, I found it to be very complete: I updated concepts I was already familiar with, learned new ones, shared input with other students taking the course, and enjoyed the positive, enthusiastic approach of the teachers. Looking forward to taking other coursework from them.

By Deleted Account

Feb 19, 2019

Very engaging course!)) Thank you!

By Rachid Chfirra

Feb 19, 2019

Really helpful course i really enjoyed learning from amazing teachers

By Kobdikova Bakhytnur Azamatovna