Back to Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles by Arizona State University

Through a series of engaging metaphors and stories, prospective and current EFL/ESL teachers will identify, summarize, and evaluate 7 basic language learning paradigms. Learners will be presented information on such foundational principles as motivation, risk taking, two different modes of learning, and balancing the teacher profession. Learners are also given an understanding of basic techniques founded on those principles, such as teacher talk, looking “ridiculous” in order to lower the affective filter, and networking. With these foundational principles in mind, ESL/EFL teachers will scrutinize common assumptions about language learning by comparing how they stack up to research-based core principles....
Highlights
Engaging instructors
(331 Reviews)
Interactive content
(104 Reviews)

CR

May 13, 2020

Simply amazing. Loved every single minute of it. I feel myself a much better teacher, I’ve learnt how to see resources to give a better class as well as offer my students better practices of learning.

VM

Apr 10, 2020

Great course! Nice content and great presentation of the material. Useful not only for ESL teachers, but for all language teachers and even for teachers in general. Thank you for creating this course!

151 - 175 of 2,471 Reviews for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

By Konstantin U

Oct 10, 2018

Great! Thank you for creating this course. It's just what I needed at a time when I needed it. It's nice to see a high quality, engaging, substantial, fun and sincere TESOL/TEFL course, and I have already learned valuable information that I believe has made me a better instructor. Thank you! You guys are awesome!

By N N S R

Aug 07, 2016

I really enjoyed this course. The way Dr. Shane Dixon explained the subject is amazing. I learnt from him just like a child. Secondly, the course content is designed to the needs of English teachers. I would like to thank the course designers and teachers Dr. Shane Dixon, Ms.Jessica Sinco and Dr . Justin Shewell.

By Yulia N

Jun 17, 2017

Basic but extremely useful - this course help you to get the whole understanding of construction, organizational side of whole chain of 8 courses for Specialization and certificate. Also, it helps me to get used to it, distribute resources carefully. I like it very much, and this course motivates me to continue!

By Cindy E R

Feb 19, 2019

Vry happy to have signed up to this course, I found it to be very complete: I updated concepts I was already familiar with, learned new ones, shared input with other students taking the course, and enjoyed the positive, enthusiastic approach of the teachers. Looking forward to taking other coursework from them.

By yamunareddy

This course 1, has been extremely useful with crystal clear explanations , making the meaning clearer and fire up the teaching passion to the next level.

Thank you COURSERA and also I would like to thank Dr. Shane Dixon and Madam Andrea Haraway for making our journey stress free with good teaching techniques.

By Idhmed h

May 02, 2019

i have finished the first specialization and certainly will continue for the next one , i send you this to express my profound thanks for the the people in charge of this amazing website , as well as to our professor Mr DIXON , a special thanks also to my colleagues for their reviews and precious advices.

By Rachel W

Apr 29, 2019

I have taken a TEFL course previously and can confidently say that this course has taught me so much more in just the foundational principles. The teachers are engaging and have created thoughtful material. I have enjoyed all the lessons learned so far and look forward to the second part of the course.

By Edgar J M G

Jun 17, 2020

One of the most complete and interesting courses that I have taken in all my life, it gives you a different perspective of everything, not only in teaching English, and also it makes you reflect about your whole school background as teachers, students and remember those memorable experiences you have.

By Kenyc M

Jul 13, 2016

This course is everything that I needed to start my journey as a teacher!

Dr. Nixon is easy to understand, funny, and his sincerity reads through in each video :-)

Thank you for offering this course!

I feel more confident and prepared to continue studying and taking my TEFL now having taking this class.

By Abigail C

May 29, 2019

It was a good introduction to foundational principles of English teaching. Definitely the other courses in the certification need to be taken in order to get the full benefit of the information given. It really is meant to be a jumping off point to learn and implement other more teaching techniques.

By Jeremy M

Oct 10, 2016

Just the beginning now but a really great one !

Love the content, the teachers videos are really well made and explanatory.

I found the Coursera platform really well fabricated and intuitive.

Everything is set to give us the best chances to thoroughly learn and earn that awesome life changing license !

By Zelia V P S

Jun 28, 2020

Dr. Shane Dixon explained the materials really well. It really stick in my mind and I can remember all of it easily. I really hope that later, when I become a teacher I can be just like him. I can present the materials in a fun and engaging way and in an easy way where student can understand it.

By Srinidhi

Jul 08, 2018

A perfect guide for beginners. Gives a brief outline on the various aspects of teaching a language and explains how to begin and guides us in developing our own teaching philosophy. The assignments encourages critical thinking and helps us understand the principles and crux of teaching English.

By Seema D

Feb 22, 2019

As an English teacher, I would recommend this course to each person who is interested in making impact in the lives of your ESL students by going deeper pedagogy of ESL teaching. I learnt the practical aspects of many pedagogical concepts. Our instructor, Dr. Shane Dixon is an amazing teacher.

By Natalya K

Sep 03, 2018

That's amazing! When I was about to leave my current teaching position, get TESOL certificate and go abroad looking for a better job - I had no idea how motivating this course could be! Now I will estimate not the salary I can receive in the future, but the skills I should acquire before that.

By Ngo T C V

Apr 22, 2020

My first Teach English Now! certificate ever. Teacher Shane Dixon is so humorous and erudite. The provided knowledge is well-organized and useful. This course is definitely worth my time and effort. I want to send my appreciation and biggest thanks to ASU and Coursera team. Thank you so much!

By Kristen V

Aug 09, 2019

This was a wonderful course which far exceeded my expectations. I actually looked forward to each lesson, and I am motivated to continue on to get my TESOL certificate through Teach English Now. Dr. Dixon and team definitely practiced what they preached by keeping it fresh and interesting.

By maria b

Oct 24, 2018

Great content, effective delivery and thought provoking essay questions. Bear in mind that you get out of the course what you put in. Ensure to use the assignments as reflections of the modules which you can go back to during your teaching careers and use as forms of professional development.

By Annie r

Apr 26, 2019

Hello friends. I just started my learning after a nice gap of years and i thought to give it a try and i am happy to say that i could do it as the course is not that tough and very understandable and more over you get to read so many reviews. I really enjoyed completing the course. Thankyou.

By Amber K

Apr 28, 2020

The material was presented in an inspirational, easy-to-understand manner, with great metaphors to help one remember the lesson. I really enjoyed the teaching example that used Haru's story, it was inspirational, and it was nice to see a small part of how teaching works in the classroom.

By Cong A K L

Apr 12, 2020

It's my pleasure and honor to enroll for your course. My feeling now is ineffable when I received such a certification from an elite tertiary educational institution. On the top of my gratitude to Dr.Shane Dixon and his team for his indefatigable effort to design such a consummate course.

By Dariana D M

May 05, 2020

This is a very helpful course. I had already gotten a TESOL certificate, but this one taught things that the other course I studied didn't. I thoroughly enjoyed it! I would definitely recommend this course to anyone who wants to learn more about teaching or is new to the whole concept!

By D N S

May 23, 2020

It is indeed a very useful and motivating course not for just beginners for all those who wish to a language teacher. I personally got fully benefited in terms of new knowledge, core concepts of learning and skills. I would like to take on more such courses to enhance my competencies.

By Ruxue S

Sep 18, 2019

i really enjoy this course because the two instructors use active body languages and changeable tones and expressions to deliver, which makes this course interesting, and perfectly coherent with what they are teaching!_how to teach English. thank you all for this wonderful course!!!!1

By Mariia P

Aug 12, 2017

I LOVED this course! Everything was so clear and I enjoyed watching lectures and doing tasks. Thanks to all people who created this course, I've never been so satisfited with studying. After this course I feel totally confident that I can use techniques in real life. THANKS YOU A LOT!