Back to Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles by Arizona State University

Through a series of engaging metaphors and stories, prospective and current EFL/ESL teachers will identify, summarize, and evaluate 7 basic language learning paradigms. Learners will be presented information on such foundational principles as motivation, risk taking, two different modes of learning, and balancing the teacher profession. Learners are also given an understanding of basic techniques founded on those principles, such as teacher talk, looking “ridiculous” in order to lower the affective filter, and networking. With these foundational principles in mind, ESL/EFL teachers will scrutinize common assumptions about language learning by comparing how they stack up to research-based core principles....
Highlights
Engaging instructors
(331 Reviews)
Interactive content
(104 Reviews)

JJ

Aug 18, 2018

This is a very useful course as I begin my studies to prepare to teach English abroad. ASU is a recognized university and the price is very reasonable. I look forward to the next course in the series.

Nov 30, 2019

A great course! It is a well planned and goes light taking into consideration that the learners work as teachers. I have become a great fan of Dr. Dixon and hope to learn more in the modules to come.

51 - 75 of 1,895 Reviews for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

By HAKAN A

Jan 30, 2020

The course combines theory with practice in an organized and effective way. After a quick and understandable information about the teaching principles, course teachers really illustrate how we can apply these theoratical information into our classroom environment. The course also handles every aspect of teaching process: Methodologies, Learning Strategies, Students Autonomy and even Teacher Burnout. Really useful course for all language teachers. Thank You Coursera and Arizona State University.

By Carolin C

Nov 30, 2016

It is a recommended course for any teachers out there. Even though this course is focusing on teaching English language, I find that it is still helpful for teachers of any other subjects, even other languages! I thoroughly enjoy weekly assignment even though I have to admit that I didn't complete some by the end of the week. But, it is all on me because I am responsible for my own learning. Good luck to everyone who is taking this course and anyone who will be taking this course! Cheers!

By Amber K

Aug 10, 2016

The Foundational Principles portion of this specialization is really comprehensive, but also not complex enough that a new learner can't complete and understand the material. There is a strong focus on teacher technique that I appreciated. There is a good combination of audio-visual material and reading material. I prefer to learn through reading so it was nice to intersperse articles and authentic research with the lessons. Would definitely recommend this to new and seasoned learners!

By IJEOMA D U

Dec 11, 2019

It was an amazing experience! I must commend Dr. Shane Dixon's level of creativity in making the course interesting and very easy to comprehend. His ability to explain the most complex ideas in simple forms is quite incredible. I never thought that taking an online course will be so rewarding and educative, my experience has cleared all my doubts. I also appreciate Coursera's efforts in putting this wonderful courses together, and I look forward to taking my courses on this platform.

By Francis Y

Oct 19, 2019

Although it was an introductory course, the foundational principles were very helpful, even as an experienced teacher. Because I did not have any formal training in education (i.e. did not major in the education field), the principles taught offered a lot of insights into why I have been doing what I did in the classroom and why I was trained in particular ways of teaching. This is a great course to start the TESOL certification process or to see if this is what you really want.

By Brant T

May 23, 2017

Having both taken Barbara Oakley's coursera course about learning as well as reading her book, I was already familiar with the ideas about focused and diffuse learning modes. This course applied not only that information that I was aware (and quite fond) of to the idea of language learning, but also pulled in a number of other useful pedagogical resources and presented them in a coherent and cohesive manner. I am looking forward to the next course in the TOEFL specialization.

By Engaisi P

Aug 25, 2018

I loved and enjoyed the teaching style of this course. It modeled the way I should be teaching perfectly and so I was able to connect the content I was learning to the way the teacher was teaching. Lots of teacher talk and body language and scaffolding was modeled.

I also learned very useful information which I look forward in using in my own classes in the future.

All in all, spectacular. Keep it up and I hope those who come after me will enjoy it just as much.

And thank you!

By Steven D J

Sep 29, 2019

Thank you for this help on teacher/student relations; sharing the importance of practice, helping students feel smart, relating teaching experiences to others, and stressing how hard it is to perform something new. This class has helped me with my teaching practice, to make certain my classroom is more of a co-op with students. Dr. Dixon is so engaging as a teacher and mentor, I'm now going to search for his books to further learn his techniques to help develop mine.

By Kirsten K

Nov 16, 2019

The videos are very well done and the course material was a good start to learning Teaching English as a Second Language theory and foundations. There is some delays in waiting for peer reviews and to be able to review others work which can affect your timeline and goals, and peer reviews can be unfair and there seems to be no recourse to challenge them, but the assignments are simple and you can just re-do them and get different peers to grade you which worked fine.

By Lorain B

Apr 17, 2017

This course is essential for anyone who wants to be a language teacher. I have taken an online advance TESOL certificate but unlike it, TEACH ENGLISH NOW! Foundation Principles course is what I needed: the video lectures, the readings were all presented clearly and the tasks are reasonable. It's refreshing for those who have been teaching English for a long time who might be thinking of giving up or who might be very tired by now, this course is just invigorating !

By Oluwatoyin O E

Apr 24, 2018

I knew this course would be great and worth it, what I did not expect was to be wowed. The modules are sooo rich, so easy to comprehend and very applicable to everyday life. I'm not a teacher yet but I'm already applying these principles. I have a nephew who is having troubles learning a second language and I found myself giving him tips from what I learned here. I can't wait to begin the rest of the courses. A big thank you to the instructors. Thanks you!

By Yulia N M

Oct 25, 2016

It's very useful though theoretical course,there are many advice how to teach; methods,approuches and devices.It's a ineresting view with metaphors and psychological articals,learning strategies and recommendation how to keep professional without burning out but being bright candle with appealing fire .Not only burning to teach but ignite this fire in your students! I appreciate for this course and I hope it will be better and interesting in further parts.

By Richard R

Oct 18, 2016

ASU has done a great job of putting together materials to present the ideas needed to teach English as a second language. It's far and away the most well organized and presented class I've taken through Coursera. I am auditing the class so I can't speak to the response times and response quality of the instructors but the forums seem active and I did get responses to my questions within a week. I look forward to enrolling for the certificate next year.

By Adalto F d G

Feb 22, 2016

The course is excellent! In fact, the professor, Dr. Shane Dixon is an expert able to capture and keep our attention.

More yet, the content and the approach used are really good! The way Dr. Shane conduct the course and explain how to become a better teacher make this course a must for future teachers.

I highly recommend, not just for english teachers, but those who wants to improve their abilities as professors at colleges and universities.

By Roohi R D

Oct 14, 2019

I found the course particularly exceptional and exciting as the things that were taught and how they were taught, was the first of its kind in my experience of traditional learning. I believe second language is one of the most difficult things to teach. Our teachers in the course, by way of teaching the modules taught us techniques of HOW language should be taught. I'm looking forward to learning more from them in the following courses.

By Alexandra P

Jul 10, 2018

This course is amazing, I've got a lot of new useful information in really concentrated form and it didn't take a lot of time. In my school and university there was a huge amount of useless information, and it was very hard to isolate important parts from the whole, and in this Coursera course I see absolutely opposite situation. Everything I read and saw in this course will be useful in my further work.Thank you.Kindest regards, Alex

By Angelica S B

Dec 02, 2015

Oh my goodness! I can't say enough about how great this course was for me. Dr. Shane Dixon did an excellent job of sharing the concepts in ways that were easily digested (more cake please). The course was set up better than any course I've taken online. The use of the metaphors truly helped me to easily recall what the class was about and I believe it will always be part of my teaching future. Thank you all for such a great course.

By Gladys

Nov 28, 2018

I highly recommend this course! It highlights teaching techniques language educators can use to ensure successful language teaching and learning in their classroom. Moreover, the modules are interesting and easy to understand. Every language teachers, novice and seasoned alike, must take this course. Kudos to Dr. Shane Dixon, Dr. Justin Shewell, Ms. Andrea Haraway from Arizona State University for such a wonderful online course!

By Sofia B

Feb 07, 2016

Amazing teachers, valuable information and top-quality materials! Thanks so much for making this course - I gained a lot from it, especially from giving and receiving feedback from fellow students. The only thing I didn't enjoy much are some questions in the tests because sometimes they seem a bit irrelevant. I would recommend making the tests a bit more to the point and reducing the amount of questions:) Thanks for your work!!!

By Sandy A

Oct 13, 2017

I want to say a huge thank you to Dr. Shane for making this course so fun and engaging. Also thanks to everyone else involved who put in endless hours to put this amazing course together - if I ever had any doubts about teaching, you certainly reassured me what a fantastic profession this is. My step father completed Tesol a few years back and tells me it was nothing like this and that I'm very lucky to have found this course!

By Carlos G H C

Feb 24, 2019

I learned a lot about the theories behind language acquisition from Krashen.

Dr. Dixon enthusiastically explains the concepts fo "teacher talk", "elaboration" and more, in the context of teaching languages.

The course checkpoints aren't tedious like in other courses, they just check for the essential parts and the elaborations are left for assumptions about language learning explained in videos as assignments.

By Jasson G C

Jul 06, 2018

This course has given me new insights into teaching English effectively to non-native speakers. The theories have widened my understanding of the concerns, issues and trends in teaching English to foreign students. In addition to that, the Dr. Dixon and Dr. Haraway are very engaging with their delivery of the lessons. I have enjoyed every moment that I have spent for this online course. Well done, Coursera!

By Aya K

Jun 12, 2019

This course was by far the most engaging introduction to teaching ESL that I’ve ever come across. The structure (short lectures interspersed with assessments) meant that information was provided at the optimal level or ‘sweet spot’, and Dr Dixon’s humorous anecdotes made the course fun. The two aspects motivated me to complete the course - in flying colours to boot! I can’t wait to start the next subject!

By sinan k

Feb 05, 2017

thanks to all teachers and students i am so happy to being here with you. this course help me to see my skills level and teach me to how can i improve them. i am a students of English language teaching and i am the one of the future teacher with this course i will be a good teacher and i will guide my students according to what i learned here. it is very useful for future teachers. thanks for everything.

By Youness L

Dec 22, 2017

Excellent course framework, and presentation. The content is of superior quality, and in par with what one will learn in the brick and mortar TESOL schools. I have also received interesting feedbacks from my course mates, and they have been all timely, constructive and pertinent. It goes without saying that the lecturers are highly intelligible and competent in the matter of presentation and language.