Back to Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles by Arizona State University

Through a series of engaging metaphors and stories, prospective and current EFL/ESL teachers will identify, summarize, and evaluate 7 basic language learning paradigms. Learners will be presented information on such foundational principles as motivation, risk taking, two different modes of learning, and balancing the teacher profession. Learners are also given an understanding of basic techniques founded on those principles, such as teacher talk, looking “ridiculous” in order to lower the affective filter, and networking. With these foundational principles in mind, ESL/EFL teachers will scrutinize common assumptions about language learning by comparing how they stack up to research-based core principles....
Highlights
Engaging instructors
(331 Reviews)
Interactive content
(104 Reviews)

CR

May 13, 2020

Simply amazing. Loved every single minute of it. I feel myself a much better teacher, I’ve learnt how to see resources to give a better class as well as offer my students better practices of learning.

VM

Apr 10, 2020

Great course! Nice content and great presentation of the material. Useful not only for ESL teachers, but for all language teachers and even for teachers in general. Thank you for creating this course!

251 - 275 of 2,471 Reviews for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

By Parneet V

Jul 02, 2020

Detailed information in lessons is summarized by wonderful use of metaphors by efficient teachers. I really recommend this course who are interested. Well structured lessons and assignments are very helpful in acquiring the concept.

By Rafael D

Dec 14, 2015

The best Teacher's Course I've ever seen! Prof.Dixon literally radiates energy, contentment, and inspiration - I felt so much inspiration and eagerness I never had before!

Enroll, and you would never regret. Not a second, believe me.

By Muhammed A

Nov 04, 2019

hello my name is Muhammed Azzouz

ı am happy that i have compleated the first level in this course .

This course was exciting.

This is a very useful course as I begin my studies to prepare to teach English abroad.

thanks my teachers.

By YoungEun A

Jun 03, 2020

This course was very ueful and insightful. Very early on into the course I realised that this is very useful not only for teaching English but for teaching in general as the skills learnt in this course can be applied to other are

By Erik M R R

Feb 14, 2017

My name is Erik Ramirez from Guatemala. I really enjoyed this fantastic program. I liked the fact that you not only get the theory but also can apply it in your classrooms obtaining great results. I highly recommend this program.

By Žygimantė N

Sep 11, 2019

Great course for the present or teachers to be. Valuable both practical and theoretical parts of the course. A source for a teacher to re-evaluate himself and possibly change or revise his/her approaches to teaching a language.

By Angelina D

May 04, 2019

This is a great introductory course. It includes a good amount of information that is explained in ways that are easy to understand and remember. I look forward to continuing this course and earning my certificate. Thank you!

By Happymark J P

Jun 19, 2018

The course is so latest,i have enjoyed it so much.Am waiting for the TESOL Certificate 2 course in order to get my certificate which will enable me to add my career.Thank you COURSERA TEAM and all Lectures for good organization.

By Lynn E K

Aug 24, 2019

I learned so much so quickly! I am more of a visual learner, so I'm so grateful for the captions. I listened to the videos then was able to go back and re-read everything and really acquire the knowledge. Beats taking notes!

By Cecilia T

Oct 28, 2016

Hi! Thanks so much for having this course for free, that gives me an idea if I actually want to pay for it or not. The teachers are really great. I hope to join this course again as soon as I can pay for it!

Great job guys!!!

By Whitney

Jul 31, 2020

I am not use to taking online courses but what I love about this corse is the way they explain the information and the way they allow you to submit your assignment. I recommend this course to anyone seeking a TESOL Certificate

By J J

Mar 12, 2016

Very well organized. Video lectures are clear and build on previous lessons. It's obvious that this course was developed with the learner very much in mind. Great way to show teachers (who are their students) how to teach.

By EI M T

Jan 23, 2020

Foundational principles are very useful for me. By using these teaching methods, I improve my teaching skills. So I like this course very much and I want to attend educational teaching methods training courses more and more.

By Ashley R

Jan 21, 2016

This was a great overview to teaching English. It suggested a few teaching techniques and showed how being flexible in your teaching style can help. Overall, great introduction. I can't wait to see the next class in this Tea

By Eriwell R H

Jan 03, 2016

I learned a lot from this course because it is very well presented. You can tell that the instructors are enjoying what they are doing. I learned a lot from this course. Keep up the good work and more success to this course!

By Rebecca H

Aug 02, 2020

Great course! I am already an ESL Teacher in South Korea and this course helped me understand the core principles behind teaching ESL in a much deeper way. Loved the professors too! Dr. Shane Dixon is engaging and thorough.

By Wang Y

Feb 08, 2020

This is my first couse finished on Coursera. I learned a lot, thanks very much! And I really love the style and content of Dr. Shane's teaching. Thank you Dr. Shane!!!I want to buy your books and continue studying from you!

By Regina J

Nov 15, 2019

I really like this series. It was extremely information, and great as a review. I an supposed to be able to teach second language learners according to me credential, but I don't know. This makes me feel better prepared.

By Sergey D

Dec 24, 2016

I love this course! Wanted to say Thank you to our teachers of this course! Something i already knew and something was really interesting and new for me :) Nice course and Awesome (with the capital A, of course) teachers :)

By Sabir

Apr 12, 2020

I learn so many things in this first part of Teaching english now course.There was so many things i was missing in my teaching experience now its clear in my mind Thanks Coursera & Arizona for this amazing course series :)

By Kriebel D S

Jul 18, 2018

Awesome and useful course! Amazing teachers, interesting studying and great assignments! I really recommend this course who is going to teach English as The Second Language in the nearest future!

By Joshua O

Dec 04, 2017

Awesome course. I have learnt a lot from this course. I say big thank you to Arizona State University, the professors and coursera for providing the platform for us learn these great principles for teaching a new language.

By Michael B

Jan 14, 2017

Very informative. Although an introductory course, this program was full of teaching techniques and principals that every prospective and current teacher should acquire and implement in to their own lesson plan and style.

By Spica R M N

Feb 15, 2019

I am very glad that I was able to finish this course. It will definitely help me a lot when teaching English to my learners here in Japan. I aim to acquire the TESOL Certificate so I'll do my very best! Thank you so much!

By Malebo J S

Mar 27, 2016

The People Teaching this course are the best and they have so much life and show a good interest, they actually teach and they make the course enjoyable and by so doing i was able to pass all my quizzes and assignments.