Back to Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles by Arizona State University

Through a series of engaging metaphors and stories, prospective and current EFL/ESL teachers will identify, summarize, and evaluate 7 basic language learning paradigms. Learners will be presented information on such foundational principles as motivation, risk taking, two different modes of learning, and balancing the teacher profession. Learners are also given an understanding of basic techniques founded on those principles, such as teacher talk, looking “ridiculous” in order to lower the affective filter, and networking. With these foundational principles in mind, ESL/EFL teachers will scrutinize common assumptions about language learning by comparing how they stack up to research-based core principles....
Highlights
Engaging instructors
(331 Reviews)
Interactive content
(104 Reviews)

JJ

Aug 18, 2018

This is a very useful course as I begin my studies to prepare to teach English abroad. ASU is a recognized university and the price is very reasonable. I look forward to the next course in the series.

Nov 30, 2019

A great course! It is a well planned and goes light taking into consideration that the learners work as teachers. I have become a great fan of Dr. Dixon and hope to learn more in the modules to come.

226 - 250 of 1,908 Reviews for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

By kerri

Feb 15, 2018

Excellent course. I highly recommend it. The presentations are great, the presenters are engaging and it is well thought out and interesting. I only audited it but it was fantastic and I really enjoyed it.

By Roua K

Jun 24, 2019

A great class: I had the chance to explore the different techniques and methods to teach English and get a glimpse on the subject. I highly recommend this class to anyone starting out with language teaching.

By Grigoreva Y V

Feb 27, 2016

it is designed brillantly.Top-notch teachers. everythis is clear and comprehensive,interstinand amazing tasks that make students think and express their own opinions.-thus invite to apply critical thinking.!

By Cheryl M

Oct 13, 2019

Teach English Now! Foundational Principles start students interested in teaching English on the road to a successful career. The format is easy to follow with quick written and multiple-choice assessments.

By Grybovska T

Oct 12, 2016

Great, interesting course. All videos produced on the high level, definitely, by professional language teachers. I will suggest this course to my friends! I have learned a lot of new and useful information.

By Maria F A

Oct 26, 2016

I was very lucky to join this course and the rest to capstone1. I'm waiting eagerly to complete the second part of the Teaching English Now!. So I advice whoever wants to join it not to hesitate and go on.

By Antonio L

Apr 12, 2016

I'm starting the 4th module and I feel great with this course, that force me to insight every single technique not only for my teaching develop, also for myself and the way I face my own learning.

Congrats!

By Adriana S

Feb 18, 2018

I begin this course as a tool for a new work opportunity, but it was much better than I expected to be! Enriched so much my teaching experience, not only teaching language but music, and sound. Thank you!

By Sandra M M

Sep 18, 2017

A really good course for TESOL teachers. The team provides many interesting metaphors concerning English language teaching that are relevant and helpful. The course is light, fun and full of good content.

By Anna F

Oct 21, 2019

It is a great course for ESL teachers, I reach english online in Russia, in english school. This course helps me to organise all my knowledge and revise everything I know. The teachers are great as well!

By Rebecca C

Oct 02, 2019

This is such an excellent course. I've already learned so much but it's been completely painless! I can't wait to continue! Thank you for putting this together in such a memorable and entertaining way!

By Giai Q T

Apr 26, 2017

The course provides essential and relevant information and good techniques and tips and examples. The teaching method is vivid and impressive. Thank you for making this course. I can learn a lot from it.

By Sergio A R

Dec 19, 2019

such an amazing course to get started with am currently an EFL teacher here in Mexico am willing to get m TESOL from ASU THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THE SUPPORT I WILL RECOMMEND THIS COURSE 100 percent...

By Pechenina E

Nov 29, 2019

This course gives information in very comprehensive bits. They are perfect and very logical. Visual aids make education extremely comfortable. And the format is also very convenient. I am very thankful.

By Ilya M

Jan 10, 2020

Thanks Coursera and ASU for this useful course! I'm really glad to have participated in it! This is only the first step to my TESOL certificate, but I want more and want to go ahead! Best regards, Ilya

By Orrathip G

Sep 16, 2018

Wonderful course! I learned more foundational principles of language teaching and also language learning. Thank you the instructors who make this course meaningful and motivate me to learn continually!

By Alba R S

May 19, 2018

Really instructive. At first I thought it might be a bit difficult for me since I've not studied anything related to teaching, but it is well organized so that you can follow it easily.

Very advisable.

By Barskaya M

Feb 01, 2019

Great course. For me it became clearer how to teach and improve my teaching skills. Dr. Shane Dixon really encourages his stidents. Highly recommend the course who is interested in English teaching.

By Lissandro F

Dec 27, 2019

This course and all the materials included in it are awesome! I have learned so much from the videos by Dr. Dixon, who has provided me with a lot of input for research! I'm glad I could finish it!

By Osborne M I

May 21, 2019

Thank you very much for this course and brilliant teachers! This is a very useful course as I start my studies to prepare to work in New Zealand. I look forward to the next course in the series.

By Ruben D E M

Aug 31, 2017

Excellent introduction to the main theory of language acquisition, good learning practices, and a very important thing: the theme about avoiding teacher burn out, which normally is underestimated.

By Shady A

Feb 07, 2020

I have always wanted to study TESOL. I honestly find this course a great hand of help. It leads me through the process of understanding the fundamentals of the learning and acquisition processes.

By Mutya A d R

Jan 18, 2020

I really enjoyed watching the videos presented in every module. I learned a lot from the different discussions which I can use in my teaching career. I am very grateful learning through Coursera.

By Viviane D S F

Nov 21, 2018

Esse curso realmente está me ajudando a entender como ensinar é muito mais complexo e pode ser muito mais interessante tanto para mim como para os meus alunos, está sendo uma mudança de paradigma

By Tabaev R D

Jan 14, 2020

An absolutely unique experience of real acquiring of knowledges about teaching English. Thank you, Dr. Shane Dixon, I really love your teacher talk and articulation, you are a real professional.