Back to Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles by Arizona State University

Through a series of engaging metaphors and stories, prospective and current EFL/ESL teachers will identify, summarize, and evaluate 7 basic language learning paradigms. Learners will be presented information on such foundational principles as motivation, risk taking, two different modes of learning, and balancing the teacher profession. Learners are also given an understanding of basic techniques founded on those principles, such as teacher talk, looking “ridiculous” in order to lower the affective filter, and networking. With these foundational principles in mind, ESL/EFL teachers will scrutinize common assumptions about language learning by comparing how they stack up to research-based core principles....
Highlights
Engaging instructors
(331 Reviews)
Interactive content
(104 Reviews)

CR

May 13, 2020

Simply amazing. Loved every single minute of it. I feel myself a much better teacher, I’ve learnt how to see resources to give a better class as well as offer my students better practices of learning.

VM

Apr 10, 2020

Great course! Nice content and great presentation of the material. Useful not only for ESL teachers, but for all language teachers and even for teachers in general. Thank you for creating this course!

126 - 150 of 2,794 Reviews for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

By Mayi

Mar 01, 2016

This course was beautifully made, the content was rich and meaty and yet not overwhelming. The modules were compact and yet well paced, presented using the very same principles being taught. My children (ages 8,10, 12) would even sit down and watch Dr. Shane's lessons with me, every week!

Thank you very much to the team behind the Teach English Now specialization.

By Molly K E

Nov 02, 2017

I've "taught" both kids and seniors informally before (swimming lessons, writing, computer classes) and this course helped put in clear perspective the things I'd learned by trial and error. Wish I'd known some of this stuff back then. It was pretty easy and broken down into tiny bits, and while it's a 6-week course, you can very easily do it in a week, like I did.

By Kumiko M

May 12, 2020

The course is very well thought out to provide the basic concepts and principles of teaching. These concepts are logical and easily understood. However, I was able to easily understand these concepts because of the well-thought out organisation of the course. The pace of the course is also suited for those who can make time on the side in their busy schedule.

By Allan d l C E

Jan 01, 2018

The course was very educational from beginning until the end. Using all kind of metaphors thru the entire course was really an eyeopener. Thumbs ups to the team Arizona State University who developed this training program. Good luck with sharing this inspirational teaching technique in the future. Allan de la Cerna Enriquez from Terneuzen, The Netherlands.

By Kristeline M

Jul 14, 2020

I love it. I learned a lot and I specially like the fact that the presenters are very empathetic to teachers. I appreciated the last module personally too since it caters a topic that not all courses offer. More than information is emotional stability of teachers so I love it when they talked about teacher's burn out. I am looking forward to the next course!

By Gerardo M C

Mar 24, 2020

This course was really very important, I consider it is aperfect tool for all the teachers who need a new information about how to teach a new language in the modernworld.It shows the tecniques, estrategies and how to use the technology not just for student as the teachers too.

For me was like a new breath necesary in the way of teaching english.THANKS A LOT

By Manal A L

Nov 04, 2019

A very significant course for all ESL teachers, even if you have many years of teaching experience it really shed the light on core concepts that you may have forgetten. I really enjoy taking this course; it has ignited mine motivation and has awaken me to try new ways and techniques in my career, thanks to the wonderful instructions provided by Dr. Shane.

By Emilia J C D

Sep 19, 2017

This course is proof that online learning can be an effective tool when used and done correctly! I absolutely loved being part of it and I appreciate the effort the teachers put into producing such good modules. I was interested in the idea of learning how to teach English before I started this course, and now after finishing I can't wait to learn more.

By Lior B

Sep 29, 2020

Hello to the wonderful teachers of the course.

I enjoyed each segment and each class.

I know I learned a lot as I do not have a teaching background.

I have a lot of practicing to do but every time I finished a module I was happy to practice again and again on my own and with others around me.

Waiting for the second part with a smile on my face :-)

By Claudia Y A M

Aug 17, 2020

I am very grateful to Coursera for offering this course to the rest of the world. It opens the opportunity for instructors in the world to improve their teaching skills and become better teachers in their classrooms. Many thanks to the creators for driving the concepts in a fun and interactive way. It was an amazing and enlightening experience. Thanks.

By Evgeniya T

Aug 03, 2016

I like the course a lot. It is interesting and it seems very well organized. It is interactive in a way that challenges you to think and express your own opinion about teaching. That helped me gain a better perspective on language teaching and motivated me as a teacher. I do recommend this course. I am having fun while learning - best combination ever!

By Alejandra G

Nov 08, 2016

Las explicaciones son amenas y divertidas, ademas de claras y fáciles de entender. El material se puede relacionar con la practica diaria de enseñanza del idioma en cualquier contexto. Fue una muy grata experiencia que considero útil para profesores con experiencia, recién graduados o para estudiantes de la especialidad de educación en lengua inglesa.

By Yersaiynova Z

Oct 25, 2020

I have finished my first course on teaching principles and I feel empowered to continue studying about some more details of teaching a language. The course is very much interesting than I expected and I especially liked the rials given for extensive reading on the topics discussed, I think it helped me deepen into the topic with those life examples.

By Tang Y T

Sep 11, 2020

The course is well-developed with useful resources and lively presentations through easily-remembered relevant metaphors. I will always remember the dramatic examples of language is cake, language is like a camera, language is like a coach ( example of Michael Jordan trying to teach basketball merely from a textbook is funny and powerful!) and etc.

By Harshana S

May 15, 2018

I absolutely loved it! This is an amazing course which gives everyone a chance to be great language teacher, as well as a great language learner. I will always see teaching with a new set of eyes after this course. It has certainly changed my life for the better! Thank you to the Coursera community and Arizona State University for this opportunity!

By Liane L

Mar 12, 2018

This MOOC is fun-filled and is a good introduction to the world of language teaching. It offers a good solid foundation for prospective teachers to make sense of the process of teaching, classroom dynamics, and sources and theories that could be used in class. It makes use of a lot of metaphors to facilitate this, in humor-filled, simplified ways.

By JANET O

Dec 05, 2016

I have learned more techniques on how to have my pupils master their skills. The foundational principles are so helpful in dealing with issues on how to deal on ample time for acquiring the language. And this principles is not only applicable to language but on all the learning areas. I find it great and helpful..More power to all of you.GODSPEED.

By Marinko B

Jul 04, 2017

This course provides an excellent overview of the principles that any teacher must discover if he/she is to enjoy their work. These principles are transferable and do not deal with the language itself, but rather language learning (and learning in general), so it is a useful course even for those who plan to teach in languages other than English.

By Fejel T D

I like the short videos! It is a more interesting way of teaching than creating 1,5-hour-long lectures. Short but straightforward. My only problem is that after the third week it became a little bit monotonous because we had to do the same task every week. Despite that, the teachers are great, and I hope I will see them in the next modules, too.

By Gunamuni A M

Aug 20, 2020

I enjoyed this course very much. As a student I am happy to say that the time and effort I put on this course was very beneficial to me. It is really helpful for me to improve my teaching career. I really appreciate the way the lecturers approach to teach us broad and deep concepts through very simple but meaningful examples. Thank you so much.

By KOMAL C

Apr 24, 2020

This course, which, is the first milestone for a language teacher has given me immense knowledge about the teaching pedagogy to be followed while teaching students and remain control over oneself and that teaching is a lifelong process where we will encounter pandoras secret every time throughout the journey.

Thank you for this beautiful course.

By NAKITENDE R

Mar 04, 2020

A very good introduction to the basics of teaching English to speakers of other languages.I learnt how to engage students from the very first seconds of a lesson .I became aware that students can gauge whether you will be a good teacher or not in just a few seconds.The techniques i learnt have given me confidence to teach in a professional way.

By Mustafa F

Jan 18, 2017

the course was really informative and helpful, especially some theories and studies are 2007 and i just knew about since i graduated in 1995, I think all teachers should do these courses regularly,

and we hereby thank Coursera and ASU and all those who make it happen and I will go forward with the second course for sure, wish me Luck.

Mustafa.

By Sawaiz R

Sep 25, 2020

Hello everyone! I recently completed the first course of the TESOL Specialization and let me tell you, I am beyond delighted. The number of valuable techniques and teachings that I have learned in this course are truly stepping stones to my teaching career in the future. Dr. Shewell is an incredible teacher! Can't wait to learn more from him.

By Kate D J

Oct 30, 2020

A lot of skills I've learned in this course. It widens my horizon in teaching the language and able to know how important for us teachers to know our students, to know right strategies for the language and for us also as a teacher to be called an effective and effecient teacher. Thankyou so much for this course. It really helped a lot.❤️