Back to Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles by Arizona State University

Through a series of engaging metaphors and stories, prospective and current EFL/ESL teachers will identify, summarize, and evaluate 7 basic language learning paradigms. Learners will be presented information on such foundational principles as motivation, risk taking, two different modes of learning, and balancing the teacher profession. Learners are also given an understanding of basic techniques founded on those principles, such as teacher talk, looking “ridiculous” in order to lower the affective filter, and networking. With these foundational principles in mind, ESL/EFL teachers will scrutinize common assumptions about language learning by comparing how they stack up to research-based core principles....
Highlights
Engaging instructors
(331 Reviews)
Interactive content
(104 Reviews)

JJ

Aug 18, 2018

This is a very useful course as I begin my studies to prepare to teach English abroad. ASU is a recognized university and the price is very reasonable. I look forward to the next course in the series.

Nov 30, 2019

A great course! It is a well planned and goes light taking into consideration that the learners work as teachers. I have become a great fan of Dr. Dixon and hope to learn more in the modules to come.

126 - 150 of 1,888 Reviews for Teach English Now! Foundational Principles

By Kristen V

Aug 09, 2019

This was a wonderful course which far exceeded my expectations. I actually looked forward to each lesson, and I am motivated to continue on to get my TESOL certificate through Teach English Now. Dr. Dixon and team definitely practiced what they preached by keeping it fresh and interesting.

By maria b

Oct 24, 2018

Great content, effective delivery and thought provoking essay questions. Bear in mind that you get out of the course what you put in. Ensure to use the assignments as reflections of the modules which you can go back to during your teaching careers and use as forms of professional development.

By Annie r

Apr 26, 2019

Hello friends. I just started my learning after a nice gap of years and i thought to give it a try and i am happy to say that i could do it as the course is not that tough and very understandable and more over you get to read so many reviews. I really enjoyed completing the course. Thankyou.

By Ruxue S

Sep 18, 2019

i really enjoy this course because the two instructors use active body languages and changeable tones and expressions to deliver, which makes this course interesting, and perfectly coherent with what they are teaching!_how to teach English. thank you all for this wonderful course!!!!1

By Maria P

Aug 12, 2017

I LOVED this course! Everything was so clear and I enjoyed watching lectures and doing tasks. Thanks to all people who created this course, I've never been so satisfited with studying. After this course I feel totally confident that I can use techniques in real life. THANKS YOU A LOT!

By EKENYA F P E

Jul 11, 2016

I've learnt a lot thus far and it has transformed my entire preconception about teaching English language. Indeed "langauge is like cake" and not "anyone who speaks the language can teach the language". Thanks to you my Amazingly super great tutors. So glad to be part of your class!!!

By Marines G L P

Dec 22, 2016

The course was really amazing, I loved the didatic of the course, all the metaphors from Dr. Shane helped me a lot . The disign of the course was clean and easy to undertand and the quality of the videos simply perfect.

I will suggest all my friends that are teachers to do the course.

By Svitlana G

Oct 19, 2019

Thanks to all the professors and Coursera who made it possible for us to learn while being on distance! It is an amazing opportunity and experience! Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and time!

I have enjoyed this course very much! I am looking forward for another one!

By Florencia N M

Jan 13, 2020

Great lectures and lecturers!

The reading materials are excellent and directly aimed to improve teaching skills.

Every lesson comes along with tasks which were carefully designed in order to encourage critical thinking as well as professional growth.

It exceeds my expectations!

By Alisa Z

Nov 14, 2016

Truly amazing course. Expecially Dr. Shane Dixon who is an embodiment of what he is teaching throughout the course. I have learned a lot and also enjoyed a lot. Planning to continue with the specialization. Thank you so much, Coursera and Arizona State University! I'm you fan!

By Juan C M P

May 28, 2018

It is an excellent course for all of us who are teachers. It is a simple, punctual, exact and assertive course, with a clear language. I am very satisfied after having completed the first part and I am preparing now to begin the second course of the series. THANKS !!!!!!!

By Partha S

Mar 11, 2017

When I started TESOL course, I didn't quite understand this module. Now, I'm almost at the end of part 2 of this course, and finally, I have a better understanding some this foundational principles. It's a great course for anyone who wants to understand basics of pedagogy.

By Laura C

Apr 03, 2016

This course gave a great baseline for getting started in TESOL. I learned as much from watching the professor model good teaching as I did from the content of the videos. I highly recommend this course if you are considering teaching English to speakers of other languages.

By KHABIBULLIN A

Jan 10, 2017

Thanks ASU for the Certificate and thanks for the tremendous knowledge they share, I am very delighted to learn a lot from you!I have to admit that you have set a great balance between delievering a lot in even very short video lectures! You did a great job! Many thanks..

By sean

Jun 29, 2019

Hi, there. I found this "Teach English Now" course on foundation principles to be great in every way. Not only was it enlighting and, full of information but, it also shows how one can become an effective language teacher. Thank you Shane, and, the rest of your team too.

By Mhd G t

Sep 14, 2018

I REALLY love it! Thank you very much! I've never been a part of an online course; this is my first time, and it will never be the last!

I LOVE YOU all! VERY VERY interesting, beneficial, well-prepared ... I love everything you delivered! WOW!

I'm very happy I got 99! WOW!

By Tatiana

Nov 27, 2017

This course is really helpful for teachers and persons who would like to start teaching. From my point of view, the best part of the course is summarizing your new knowledge by writing peer-graded assignments. I really enjoyed the course and hope to do the other parts.

By Carlos C R

Jan 18, 2017

Great way to introduce us to the joy of Teaching English. It explains many resources to get an idea of how could you do it the right way on Teaching English, tips and advices and the best techniques for learning and acquiring English as a foreign or second language.

By D.M.D.Kumarihamy N

Dec 19, 2016

Excellent!

I enjoyed leaning this course.It helped me to recollect my teaching experiences into the theories taught by my instructors of the Teach English Now; and share experiences of the teachers from the global society of education who participated in the course.

By Ajith C

Feb 01, 2020

This is a fantastic course! This course teaches you the practical things that you need to know to become a successful ESL teacher. This is a well thought out course, has a very scientific approach towards learning and the teachers are very dedicated and passionate.

By Lucas M

Dec 01, 2016

I really enjoyed course 1, it was easy to understand and follow! I only wish that I could get my papers scored faster so it shows as complete.... still I can work at my own pace (fast) and earn my certificate so I can get to the good stuff... working as a teacher!

By Ester A

May 24, 2019

I was VERY happy to be a student of this course, because to study for getting TESOL was my long-term dream. I never thought that it will be possible in my life and, especially, in my provincial town. But with coursera this miracle has happen! Thank you so much!

By Malak H

Oct 29, 2018

Most amazing and enjoyable course. I'm very thankful, appreciating the efforts done to perform this course and the information given in a very lovely, motivating and fluently way. Thanks again, deciding to be with you for the next coming courses.

sincerely Malak

By Janaina F M S

Feb 27, 2016

Shane is such a great teacher. I have learned a lot from him during this module and I can already apply all the techniques in the classroom and also while advising the teachers of the school I am a assistant coordinator at. Thank you, Shane, Coursera and ASU!

By Ngwalem B N

May 28, 2019

I learned so much. It was more than what i expected. The courses are well organised and informative. I love the videos and the fact that there is a summary at the end of each module. Also, Taking several quizzes help you retain what you learned. I loved it!