Back to Surveillance Systems: The Building Blocks

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Surveillance Systems: The Building Blocks by Johns Hopkins University

Epidemiology is often described as the cornerstone science and public health and public health surveillance is a cornerstone of epidemiology. This course will help you build your technical awareness and skills for working with a variety of surveillance systems. Along the way, we'll focus on system objectives, data reporting, the core surveillance attributes, and performance assessment. This course is designed for public health practitioners and anyone who wants to learn more about the basics of public health surveillance. If you develop or implement surveillance systems or aspire to do so or use the data resulting from surveillance, then this course is for you. It's s also for people who are interested in understanding more about this fundamental epidemiologic tool and public health practice....

PP
Apr 5, 2020

I fully enjoyed the course. The doctors that gave each lesson made it easier than I thought. The quizzes were not easy which I really liked because it made me study even harder.

CM
Jul 10, 2020

It was a great journey taking this course and though I am not in the health sector, my interest in venturing into it has been increased through taking this course

1 - 25 of 54 Reviews for Surveillance Systems: The Building Blocks

By Christophe C

Mar 31, 2020

Interesting but a bit too focussed on US

By Pablo

Apr 5, 2020

By Joanna L H R M

Aug 15, 2020

I enjoyed learning about the theoretical concepts of "The Building Blocks" of Surveillance in Public Health. I found that the nine principles of surveillance could be applied to the current COVID19 situation and unfortunately we are unable to do adequate surveillance when you look at the Building Blocks, too many negative attributes to have successful surveillance: timeliness-not good due to lack of resources, stability-poor due to the lack of cooperation between State and Federal agencies/government, sensitivity-varies. The other attributes are questionable as well.

By Kathy B

Aug 10, 2020

I loved Dr. Gurley's course and learned so much. She used real world data from her own research which made everything we learned understandable and very interesting. Her lectures were clear and concise. All the readings she provided were highly informative. If you want to do well and learn as much as possible from this course I strongly suggest that you read all the recommended resources carefully.

By Charles W

May 6, 2020

I thought this course was very clear and effective in using some examples to illustrate concepts about surveillance systems!

I wonder if there might be something in the first quiz that might need to be revised (where I don't think the "correct" answers in the map actually change between the dates), but this course did a good job overall with either not providing or correcting typos.

Thank you!

By Sirius

Jun 30, 2020

The whole course is very clear and straight forward. Together with examples, it is very easy to understand. Also the lecturer Dr. Gurley has been explaining all the concept clearly and vividly. Can tell that she has a lot of passion toward what she is doing. She used examples from her own experiences which makes the whole course more attractive.

By Ricardo V F

Jul 23, 2020

A wonderful explanation of a topic that might result very hard to deal with, or very difficult to withstand for non-experts in the subject. The real-life examples present with clarity the underlying importance of the surveillance process when tracking communicable diseases, and how to focus efforts on the right elements.

By Shehreen F

What an excellent instructor!! Absolutely loved her, a big thank you for coming to Bangladesh and helping us out. Very useful course. I'm from Bangladesh myself so i could easily relate to the situations. Most importantly learned what a good surveillance system should contain and its importance in public health..

By Thang N

Jul 11, 2020

My best part is learning through the epidemiology course presentations was with Dr. Gurley. Her entire well-presented course section on epidemiology surveillance is relatable, connective, & easy to understand, with cohesive comparable slides. She made it interesting and actually enjoyable. Thank you!!!

By Michael S

Jul 13, 2020

I am an infectious disease investigator, primary to natural history of, transmission and host cell - cytopathology, evaluation of innate immune responsiveness. This block was of great interest as I worked on SARS-CoV and Nipah Virus. Now I'm putting these pathogens into context with Epidemiology.

By Ana B

Jun 11, 2020

Great course! It is a nice introduction to public health and surveillance systems. The examples given are based on real life cases and situations, which makes the content even more compelling. The video lectures and articles provided are enriching and interesting. I would recommend!

By Rupok C

Jun 15, 2020

Great explanation about the most important topic of Epidemiology. Thanks to instructor Emily who showed how she along with ICDDR,B initiated Surveillance System to combat Nipah Virus, Japanese encephalitis virus and Rotavirus in my country Bangladesh.

By Francesco M

Apr 17, 2020

Building Blocks is fundamental to face and stop high rates of Covid Disease in this time. Unfortunaley European Response is not unitarian and might be a second wave of spreading after some re-openings of Industry and National Lockdown

By Clifford M

Jul 11, 2020

By steve s

Jul 16, 2020

Superior introduction into Surveillance Systems, Epidemiology. Very timely and I look forward to the update to come when the COVID-19 pandemic becomes history.

By Abhishek C

Apr 26, 2020

It was good introduction of surveillance system, the Nipah and rota virus examples from Bangladesh was very helpful in deeper understanding. Thank you

By Jennifer O

Mar 21, 2020

This course provided a great overview of surveillance systems with great case examples and multiple relevant global standards. Definitely worth it.

By Daniel O

I couldn't have wished for something better; everything about the class was on point, with epidemiologic case studies to backup. Thank you

By Suneel K G

May 9, 2020

Most of the learners come from non- English speaking countries. Thanks, Emily Gurley for teaching us with an easily understandable accent.

By Josue G G T

Jun 4, 2020

bueno para entender el ciclo de los sistemas de vigilancia y como cada uno tiene diferencias entre sí y sus características en común

By Muaamar B

Apr 27, 2020

very concise, and the best is that she uses a project that she was part of as an example. Very easy to follow and learn. thank you!

By Diana I C C

Apr 11, 2020

Great content. The examples set on the lecture have helped me understand how the concepts are applied in real life. Thanks.

By Victor R D V G

Jun 5, 2020

As usual, a very impressive presentation and lecture from Dr. Emily Gurley! Simplified for all of us once more! God bless

By Frank S

May 7, 2020

Course was informative and the added material assisted in helping to strengthen the comprehension of the material.

By Douglas E J

Apr 6, 2020

Please consider providing a complete listing of references for future use that include the links to the websites.