Back to Teaching EFL/ESL Reading: A Task Based Approach

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teaching EFL/ESL Reading: A Task Based Approach by University of London

This course explores ways of teaching reading skills in English as Second and Foreign Language (ESL/EFL) using a task-based approach. You will be introduced to the concept of task and the key principles of task-based language teaching (TBLT) and learning. TBLT uses communicative tasks as the key unit for creating language learning activities. You will also examine the role of reading in real-life and in second and foreign language teaching and current thinking about the interface between TBLT and second language reading. You will explore how TBLT and teaching second language reading can be successfully integrated in practice through analysing task-based reading materials. The course culminates in creating task-based materials for teaching reading in your own language teaching contexts. After completing the course, you will be able to: 1. Explain the main components and tenets of a task-based approach to teaching language; 2. Explain the main issues involved in teaching reading; 3. Illustrate connections between TBLT approaches and the teaching of reading; 4. Integrate tasks into your own teaching; 5. Identify reading texts that are suitable for the construction of tasks; and 6. Construct reading tasks and sequences for use in your own classroom....

RY

Dec 20, 2018

The course has refreshed me on how to do Task based teaching in my classroom. The professors and guest speakers are all very helpful in giving new ideas for lesson plan. I really enjoy the lesson.

DA

Nov 21, 2018

An exceptional course which brings up really interesting, thought-provoking ideas about pedagogy and ELT. Well-researched, easy to understand, and has some great assignment topics. Loved it.

76 - 98 of 98 Reviews for Teaching EFL/ESL Reading: A Task Based Approach

By Mosanna S

Jun 29, 2020

this course gave me a great idea about TBLT

By B M C

Mar 29, 2020

A very well structured course!

By Irena H

I really enjoyed this course

By Natasha V M

Oct 09, 2019

Excellent course! I loved it

By Jasmina H

Jan 21, 2018

Very informative. Loved it!

By Naomi B

May 04, 2020

It was a very good course

By roderick

Feb 05, 2020

It's very nice. I love it

By Cristina L C

Jul 06, 2018

Perfect

By AIDA N

Apr 19, 2020

good

By Marco A C

Aug 02, 2019

I

By Winnie S

Apr 07, 2020

For existing and especially teachers with experience, probably not a lot to learn, but it's a good refresher and for new teachers it carries some good reminders and ideas. However a lot of things are theoretic, I was hoping there would be more practical support. I think what I learnt the most was from other students while discussing and while reviewing their assignments. Love how everybody takes it seriously and share what they have. The final video was a good wrap up too.

By saira b

Nov 14, 2016

an eye-opening course for teachers who want to develop their knowledge in communicative approach in teaching English language. Thoroughly enjoyed each module as it was very thought provoking and detailed. It was a great experience to peer assess too.

By Chitra W

Mar 19, 2018

The concepts related to Task Based Approach are explained very well, using very simple language. This makes learning easy and effective.

By joe d

I really enjoyed the course. It was well taught and I learned a lot about how to construct and teach a "task-based" lesson.

By Marni H

I definitely gained some useful information in this course and I liked that it made me think about how I design lessons and how I can improve upon that. However, I feel that the course would be much improved if the instructors spent at least a little time checking in, making sure the links all still worked, and actually interacted with the students taking this course. The instructors were completely absent as far as I could tell. Even just a few comments here and there in the discussions would be nice. Also, I don't really like that the entire course grade is based on peer reviews.

By Omid

Aug 02, 2020

It was a good course but the course contents and lectures should be abbreviated.