Back to Teaching EFL/ESL Reading: A Task Based Approach

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teaching EFL/ESL Reading: A Task Based Approach by University of London

This course explores ways of teaching reading skills in English as Second and Foreign Language (ESL/EFL) using a task-based approach. You will be introduced to the concept of task and the key principles of task-based language teaching (TBLT) and learning. TBLT uses communicative tasks as the key unit for creating language learning activities. You will also examine the role of reading in real-life and in second and foreign language teaching and current thinking about the interface between TBLT and second language reading. You will explore how TBLT and teaching second language reading can be successfully integrated in practice through analysing task-based reading materials. The course culminates in creating task-based materials for teaching reading in your own language teaching contexts. After completing the course, you will be able to: 1. Explain the main components and tenets of a task-based approach to teaching language; 2. Explain the main issues involved in teaching reading; 3. Illustrate connections between TBLT approaches and the teaching of reading; 4. Integrate tasks into your own teaching; 5. Identify reading texts that are suitable for the construction of tasks; and 6. Construct reading tasks and sequences for use in your own classroom....

RY
Dec 19, 2018

The course has refreshed me on how to do Task based teaching in my classroom. The professors and guest speakers are all very helpful in giving new ideas for lesson plan. I really enjoy the lesson.

DA
Nov 20, 2018

An exceptional course which brings up really interesting, thought-provoking ideas about pedagogy and ELT. Well-researched, easy to understand, and has some great assignment topics. Loved it.

76 - 100 of 137 Reviews for Teaching EFL/ESL Reading: A Task Based Approach

By Mishkat A M

Jul 20, 2017

I would like to thank the teaching team for such a great course that is informative and engaging.

By Prapassara S

May 13, 2020

I love this course because I can adapt the techniques and implement it in my actual classroom.

By Michel T

Aug 23, 2017

This course is very instructive. I learned a great deal about task-based approach to reading.

By Shiyun W

Jul 31, 2018

This course is very useful and practical, which can help me a lot in my class in the future.

By Diego A H G

Apr 6, 2020

I learned the types of reading tasks and how to implement them in my daily teaching life.

By Mark T

Nov 6, 2016

Excellent, well thought-out course combining aspects of TBL and Best practice on Reading.

By NICHOLA E

Oct 27, 2020

I would highly recommend it. Every foreign language teacher should take this coursed.

By Víctor A B

Oct 18, 2018

Thank you very much for offering us another approaches to teach, I appreciate a lot!

By Belén B O V

Dec 8, 2020

Great course! Love it! Give an opportunity to this course, you will not regret!

By Nadine M

Jul 26, 2021

this course was so informative, looking forward taking new ones , THANK YOU

By Mark O K

Dec 30, 2019

The quality of the course is very high. It is very useful for ESL teachers.

By Robin A

Nov 16, 2020

Great course. I wish there were more courses on education offered by UCL.

By Karlo S S

Sep 20, 2021

I really learned a lot from this course! Thanks, teachers and classmates!

By George M N

Aug 23, 2020

A resourceful course to be an effective teacher in ESL/EFL classrooms.

By Ghassan A H

Aug 27, 2017

Wonderful course. I recommend all EFL?ESL teachers to join the course.

By Hannah C

Feb 12, 2018

This is a very informative and interesting course. Two thumbs up!

By César d J V R

Nov 21, 2016

GREAT, JUST THE BEST FOR ENGLISH TEACHERS.... IT IS SIMPLY AMAZING

By Auzellea K M

Jun 15, 2020

LOve it! i'm going to use this approach in my classes from now on

By Mariana S

Jul 1, 2019

Very interesting, it will be very useful for me and my students.

By Lucas M

Nov 3, 2020

Muito bom o curso, bem estruturado, é possível aprender muito!

By Betty D P

Dec 20, 2017

Very helpful and informative! I gained a lot from this course.

By Mukul K

Aug 25, 2018

Really helpful. Have started implementing in the classroom.

By Barno Z

Oct 31, 2019

Получила много новых идей для улучшения своей методики.

By Shelley L R

Mar 12, 2018

Very practical and helpful for teaching EAL students.

By Mahmoud I M A

Jan 27, 2020

Extremely helpful and useful. Keep the good work.