Back to Exploratory Data Analysis

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Exploratory Data Analysis by Johns Hopkins University

This course covers the essential exploratory techniques for summarizing data. These techniques are typically applied before formal modeling commences and can help inform the development of more complex statistical models. Exploratory techniques are also important for eliminating or sharpening potential hypotheses about the world that can be addressed by the data. We will cover in detail the plotting systems in R as well as some of the basic principles of constructing data graphics. We will also cover some of the common multivariate statistical techniques used to visualize high-dimensional data....

Y

Sep 24, 2017

Very good course! It provide me the foundation in learning how to plot and interpret data. This will definitely strengthen my "R programming" to generate publication type figure for my genomics data!

CC

Jul 29, 2016

This is the second course I have taken from Roger Peng and both were outstanding. I have a strong math background, but not much of a background in stats, but this course was very approachable for me.

676 - 700 of 750 Reviews for Exploratory Data Analysis

Apr 01, 2017

Good!

By Edward A S M

Dec 05, 2019

Good

By 木槿

Nov 02, 2018

good

By Anup K M

Sep 27, 2018

good

By Isaac F V N

Apr 19, 2017

Oct 02, 2016

d

By Jose O

Feb 11, 2016

Insights delivered by the course were great. However, I think it emphasizes too much the lattice and basic plot systems to the point it is redundant with functionality on ggplot. It should focus more on concepts and techniques for delivering richer and meaningful graphics using ggplot rather than talking that much about technicalities on the basic plot and lattice systems.

Assignments were too basic and don't reflect all the concepts learned in the lessons e.g. clustering, which I think are of great interest for researchers.

By Ahmed M

Aug 24, 2016

The course is quite good and informative in the first two weeks covering a lot of information and a lot of exercises.

Week 3 is very unrelated and hard the videos and exercises are bad, and I had to do this part by myself again.

Also when we get to the final course project doesn't cover any of these techniques.

In my opinion, week 3 should be replaced with something more related to plotting systems and distributions, also one project would be enough.

By Andrew V

Jun 10, 2016

The course covers very limited subset of plots and mostly oriented to R-specific technical routines rather than overall approaches. Case-study example is helpful and contrary to the most comments I do appreciate the final course project: this how most problems are stated in real life. If you would like to cover more fundamental concepts behind exploratory analysis I would recommend other sources.