Back to Fashion as Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fashion as Design by The Museum of Modern Art

Among all objects of design, our clothes are the most universal and intimate. Like other kinds of design, fashion thrives on productive tensions between form and function, automation and craftsmanship, standardization and customization, universality and self-expression, and pragmatism and utopian vision. It exists in the service of others, and it can have profound consequences—social, political, cultural, economic, and environmental. Fashion as Design focuses on a selection of more than 70 garments and accessories from around the world, ranging from kente cloth to jeans to 3D-printed dresses. Through these garments, we’re going to look closely at what we wear, why we wear it, how it’s made, and what it means. You’ll hear directly from a range of designers, makers, historians, and others working with clothing every day—and, in some cases, reinventing it for the future. Studio visits, interviews, and other resources introduce the history and development of each garment and their changing uses, meanings, and impact over time. Course Learning Objectives: Develop critical tools to appreciate and contextualize fashion design—from everyday clothing to couture garments—through many different perspectives. Trace the history, development, and impact of garments over time, and explore how they may be reinvented. Investigate garments through multiple lenses including politics, identity, and economics. Understand more about the lifecycle of clothing, from its design and production to its marketing, distribution, and consumption. Better comprehend the choices you make about fashion with respect to the visual language of dress, individual and collective identities, and issues such as labor practices, sustainability, and body politics....

SA

I would highly recommend this course for someone passionate about the industry. It's an Insightful course too deepen inside the fashion world, through history, identity, sustainability, and much more.

MP
May 15, 2020

Excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommended it to many. I am a mature student ( 55) and after this, I really feel I want to study a masters in fashion sustainability. Thanks for inspiring me.

226 - 250 of 558 Reviews for Fashion as Design

By Clara Z

May 7, 2018

some historical information and most important is that I learned how to look at a item from various perspective.

By Aiyana A

Jun 2, 2020

Extremely informative. All of the assessments are a week a part which makes them easy to complete and focus on.

By Marloes W

Aug 14, 2019

Interesting and eyeopening subjects in this course. Only for people with above average English language skills.

By particle p

Nov 18, 2020

This specialization (all four courses) was very enjoyable. I wish there were ten, not four. It's done quickly.

By LAURA M

Thanks for the chance to learn so many topics in the wonderful fashion world, it has been a great experience.

By Funmi S

May 7, 2020

Absolutely a must for everyone who wears clothes. I got to know about the 'items'. So worth my time and data.

By Keitchyna C

Apr 11, 2020

Super cours très intéressant et riche avec beaucoup de notions culturelle, différentes références historique.

By Janvi r

Apr 5, 2020

It's very helpful for me also for my future. It gives me alots of information about new designer and artists.

By Dalima K

Aug 13, 2019

I loved it. Got to know alot of things that I wouldn't have been able to . I look forward to do more courses.

By Gloria G A

Sep 28, 2020

Me encanto. Es un curso actualizado con excelentes recursos visuales. Super interesante, muy bien diseñado.

By Jessica C

Apr 22, 2020

Great intro course that presented fashion through its history, cultural and future development perspective.

By CASTILLO, M (

Jul 27, 2020

The course was very nice! It discusses about history and the intricacy of the design process of a garment.

By Charles K

Thoroughly enjoyed learning about many aspects of fashion and design that I did not know about beforehand.

By Nikita s

Jun 12, 2020

I was really good course eith lots of knowledge about fashion and history of fashiin when it was started.

By Ekaterine K

Thanks a lot . This 7 week was really interesting and full of useful information. Good Luck for Everyone.

By Fernanda D G

Mar 5, 2020

Thank you so much! I loved the course!!! I so glad to have taken the course. I learned a lot!! thank you!

By Lena L

Jul 2, 2018

So many fascinating bits of information. A great course for people interested in both design and fashion.

By Kirsten H N

Dec 13, 2017

Very informative course. I learned so much about fashion items, the history behind them and their impact.

By Danielle S

Jan 7, 2018

This was fantastic! I didn't want it to end and I'm hoping there are more courses like this one to come.

By Anahi V L I

Jun 20, 2020

I love it has very varied content and easy to understand if you don't have a very high level of English

By Lizda F A

Jun 7, 2020

awesome and mind blowing learning experience would definitely use it in my life as an artist in fashion

By Jennifer G

Jul 1, 2020

Great course. As an artist with a background in fashion, I still found a lot here. Highly recommend.

By María G

I really like the course. I found it vert informative, didactic and at the same time very interesting.

By Clara d A A

Nov 24, 2020

An exceptional course with which I've learned so much to compliment and motivate my career in fashion

By Violeta G V

Aug 29, 2020

I enjoyed it very much, and I found it full of information usefull for my design processes. Thank you