Back to Fashion as Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fashion as Design by The Museum of Modern Art

Among all objects of design, our clothes are the most universal and intimate. Like other kinds of design, fashion thrives on productive tensions between form and function, automation and craftsmanship, standardization and customization, universality and self-expression, and pragmatism and utopian vision. It exists in the service of others, and it can have profound consequences—social, political, cultural, economic, and environmental. Fashion as Design focuses on a selection of more than 70 garments and accessories from around the world, ranging from kente cloth to jeans to 3D-printed dresses. Through these garments, we’re going to look closely at what we wear, why we wear it, how it’s made, and what it means. You’ll hear directly from a range of designers, makers, historians, and others working with clothing every day—and, in some cases, reinventing it for the future. Studio visits, interviews, and other resources introduce the history and development of each garment and their changing uses, meanings, and impact over time. Course Learning Objectives: Develop critical tools to appreciate and contextualize fashion design—from everyday clothing to couture garments—through many different perspectives. Trace the history, development, and impact of garments over time, and explore how they may be reinvented. Investigate garments through multiple lenses including politics, identity, and economics. Understand more about the lifecycle of clothing, from its design and production to its marketing, distribution, and consumption. Better comprehend the choices you make about fashion with respect to the visual language of dress, individual and collective identities, and issues such as labor practices, sustainability, and body politics....

SA

I would highly recommend this course for someone passionate about the industry. It's an Insightful course too deepen inside the fashion world, through history, identity, sustainability, and much more.

MP

May 16, 2020

Excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommended it to many. I am a mature student ( 55) and after this, I really feel I want to study a masters in fashion sustainability. Thanks for inspiring me.

251 - 275 of 536 Reviews for Fashion as Design

By Saba E

Jan 20, 2020

Very well designed class including useful, relevant and insightful content. Highly recommend.

By Maria

Jul 21, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course, it was informative and an eye opener, beyond expectations!

By Tobee H K y

Nov 11, 2017

This course really widened my views of fashion and design, I learn too much ! Thanks a lot !

By Sujit U

Dec 05, 2018

I got to know a deep knowledge about almost every garments which human wear in daily life.

By amani a

Nov 26, 2018

إنها أفضل دورة تدريبية على الإنترنت أنا سعيد للغاية وحصلت على معلومات رائعة ومفيدة من قلبي

By Carolina G

May 05, 2020

Such a joyful and enriching experience for anyone curious about design, art & photography

By Citlalli T G T

May 23, 2018

I love it, it make me change the way I look at my clothes and my body.

Thank you so much.

By Ana D

Jan 08, 2018

Very nice experience, learned a lot, especially about suitability and fashion industry!!!

By Jingyi Z

Jul 06, 2018

This class is a lot of fun and brings a new perspective of fashion interpretation to me.

Apr 24, 2020

this course is beneficial to understand and to comprehend fashion dynamics and statics.

By Beatriz C

Apr 13, 2020

It has been a really good experience. It's very complete and it includes good material.

By Kat M

Jun 11, 2020

Fantastic course. So well crafted. I learnt so much that will be useful for my career.

By MAG. H

I was challenged and inspired all at once. Thank you fashion as Design, thank you MoMA

By Melina F

Apr 20, 2020

Outstanding course. A great way to explore fashion from an academic yet personal lens.

By Audrey J

Nov 19, 2017

Thank you so much for this course. It is really interesting with really cool examples.

By Petrina B

A fascinating look are fashion through the lens of design, history and social impact.

By Md. T H

Mar 05, 2020

Everything was Fantastic. And all lecturer was phenomenon. Thanks for everything😍

By Daniela D R

I learned so, so much. Great teachers, great topics to study, and great material!

By Kennia R M

Jan 26, 2019

el cuerso es bastante bueno, muy claro y te da una nueva perspectiva de las cosas

By ASHI J

Jun 17, 2020

Learned many things from this course. I have got a lot of experience from this .

By Julia S

Jun 02, 2020

Amazing experience, very happy I decided to take this course. Thank you so much.

By Mariana C

Jul 04, 2020

Groundbreaking and very updated course about fashion in a anthropological view.

By Kethu R

Jun 23, 2020

its very helpful for those pupils who are going through the history of fashion

By Lau Z G

Truly appreciate this course, it gave me a basic knowledge of fashion design .

By Gabriela C

May 22, 2020

Mu completo. Una interesante mirada sobre la moda y el diseño de indumentaria.