Back to Fashion as Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fashion as Design by The Museum of Modern Art

Among all objects of design, our clothes are the most universal and intimate. Like other kinds of design, fashion thrives on productive tensions between form and function, automation and craftsmanship, standardization and customization, universality and self-expression, and pragmatism and utopian vision. It exists in the service of others, and it can have profound consequences—social, political, cultural, economic, and environmental. Fashion as Design focuses on a selection of more than 70 garments and accessories from around the world, ranging from kente cloth to jeans to 3D-printed dresses. Through these garments, we’re going to look closely at what we wear, why we wear it, how it’s made, and what it means. You’ll hear directly from a range of designers, makers, historians, and others working with clothing every day—and, in some cases, reinventing it for the future. Studio visits, interviews, and other resources introduce the history and development of each garment and their changing uses, meanings, and impact over time. Course Learning Objectives: Develop critical tools to appreciate and contextualize fashion design—from everyday clothing to couture garments—through many different perspectives. Trace the history, development, and impact of garments over time, and explore how they may be reinvented. Investigate garments through multiple lenses including politics, identity, and economics. Understand more about the lifecycle of clothing, from its design and production to its marketing, distribution, and consumption. Better comprehend the choices you make about fashion with respect to the visual language of dress, individual and collective identities, and issues such as labor practices, sustainability, and body politics....

SA

I would highly recommend this course for someone passionate about the industry. It's an Insightful course too deepen inside the fashion world, through history, identity, sustainability, and much more.

MP
May 15, 2020

Excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommended it to many. I am a mature student ( 55) and after this, I really feel I want to study a masters in fashion sustainability. Thanks for inspiring me.

601 - 609 of 609 Reviews for Fashion as Design

By Louisa B

Sep 30, 2020

to much reading

By Sheila

Jul 8, 2020

Seriously? Don't. What will you learn. Not much of interest. The testing questions are irrelevant. Like important learning is what 5 out of 7 materials were used to make some boots. They get ideas in the middle and change the course to suit. Like let's all now take pictures of our personal fashion and submit. Not. At the end a peer assesed essay determines if you pass. You get to write it again and again until you get 80%. Seriously? What qualifies these people to determine your pass? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I suggest Coursera look closer at the content of this course. I did it for "fun", didn't pay. If I had paid I'd be demanding my money back.

By Barakat S A

Mar 24, 2020

i like dz course but i taught u said the certificate is free why are u pple reqyuesting for money b4 i can print my cert

By Akash P

Dec 17, 2020

I want to unenroll this course.

By vivian