Back to Fashion as Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fashion as Design by The Museum of Modern Art

Among all objects of design, our clothes are the most universal and intimate. Like other kinds of design, fashion thrives on productive tensions between form and function, automation and craftsmanship, standardization and customization, universality and self-expression, and pragmatism and utopian vision. It exists in the service of others, and it can have profound consequences—social, political, cultural, economic, and environmental. Fashion as Design focuses on a selection of more than 70 garments and accessories from around the world, ranging from kente cloth to jeans to 3D-printed dresses. Through these garments, we’re going to look closely at what we wear, why we wear it, how it’s made, and what it means. You’ll hear directly from a range of designers, makers, historians, and others working with clothing every day—and, in some cases, reinventing it for the future. Studio visits, interviews, and other resources introduce the history and development of each garment and their changing uses, meanings, and impact over time. Course Learning Objectives: Develop critical tools to appreciate and contextualize fashion design—from everyday clothing to couture garments—through many different perspectives. Trace the history, development, and impact of garments over time, and explore how they may be reinvented. Investigate garments through multiple lenses including politics, identity, and economics. Understand more about the lifecycle of clothing, from its design and production to its marketing, distribution, and consumption. Better comprehend the choices you make about fashion with respect to the visual language of dress, individual and collective identities, and issues such as labor practices, sustainability, and body politics....

SA

I would highly recommend this course for someone passionate about the industry. It's an Insightful course too deepen inside the fashion world, through history, identity, sustainability, and much more.

MP

May 16, 2020

Excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommended it to many. I am a mature student ( 55) and after this, I really feel I want to study a masters in fashion sustainability. Thanks for inspiring me.

201 - 225 of 549 Reviews for Fashion as Design

By Florencia S

May 07, 2020

Me encantò su contenido y sobre todo los videos.

Me gustaría contar con mas cursos de historia de la moda en la plataforma.

By Georg R

Oct 14, 2019

Perfect! Very very interesting themes, nice videos & materials. Perfect balance of workload and the quizzes. Learned a lot!

By Ece z

Feb 19, 2019

I learned many of thinks in this issue. I am sure it will help to me in my working life and social life. Thank you so much.

By Victor J

Oct 05, 2020

Me gustó mucho como primer acercamiento al mundo de la moda. Es muy interesante la perspectiva museográfica que se le da.

By Constanza A

Dec 19, 2017

Excellent course! The themes are very interesting an very well developed. The readings and videos are easy to understand.

By aamira m

Nov 19, 2019

Brilliantly curated content makes this course one of it's kind. Thanking the coursera team in bringing knowledge to many

By Laura W

Jun 07, 2020

Really enjoyed this course! It was well organized, and required just enough student interaction to keep it interesting.

By Andrea B

Jun 03, 2020

Very interesting content, offers a different perspective of fashion to be understood from a political and social place.

By Shaf A

I love the course! Even though i find it difficult to read in quarantine, texts were kept short and interesting videos!

By David G M

Apr 12, 2019

Very interesting approach to fashion and all its related dimensions. I was not too much into the topic, and I loved it.

By Denise A

Feb 22, 2018

I thought the course was really informative. It gives fashion a human face and is important for the future. Thank you!!

By Shawn B

Oct 13, 2020

Course was broader and more encompassing than I expected - which was great. Learned a lot about fashion and society.

By Annisa N F

Jul 06, 2020

Loved this course so much! This course definitely surpassed my expectations and I learned so so much. Thank you MoMA!

By Chrystal a w

Jun 06, 2020

I learned a lot of history of different clothing items in my closet, gained a lot of new visual and reading resources

By Maureen W

May 01, 2019

I just finished class 4. I love MOMA and I love the ideas, challenge to thinking. Inspirational, exciting. Thank you!

By Anna C G

Mar 10, 2020

So so cool! I really learned many interesting and very important things about the Fashion world, I recomend it 100%!

By Audrey L

Jun 05, 2020

Very enjoyable and informative, and so much fun gaining new perspectives about fashion. Would definitely recommend.

By Abe P

Oct 04, 2020

Very happy what I learnd thank You all for giving lots of history and showing me others ways of living and create

By Mahmudul H K

May 15, 2020

It's a awesome course. It's really help a student a lot. What's the impact of fashion on us it's describe truely.

By eva s

Mar 25, 2020

very interesting course, I really enjoye the time while watching and reading all the materials that they offer :)

By elisabeth

Oct 15, 2020

A very broad over view of fashion from industry, personal identity,design, historical and cultural perspectives.

By Travis J

Jun 21, 2020

This course helped me in so many ways, and I loved all the information it had to offer! Thank you guys so much!!

By Clara Z

May 08, 2018

some historical information and most important is that I learned how to look at a item from various perspective.

By Aiyana A

Jun 02, 2020

Extremely informative. All of the assessments are a week a part which makes them easy to complete and focus on.

By Marloes W

Aug 14, 2019

Interesting and eyeopening subjects in this course. Only for people with above average English language skills.