Back to Fashion as Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fashion as Design by The Museum of Modern Art

Among all objects of design, our clothes are the most universal and intimate. Like other kinds of design, fashion thrives on productive tensions between form and function, automation and craftsmanship, standardization and customization, universality and self-expression, and pragmatism and utopian vision. It exists in the service of others, and it can have profound consequences—social, political, cultural, economic, and environmental. Fashion as Design focuses on a selection of more than 70 garments and accessories from around the world, ranging from kente cloth to jeans to 3D-printed dresses. Through these garments, we’re going to look closely at what we wear, why we wear it, how it’s made, and what it means. You’ll hear directly from a range of designers, makers, historians, and others working with clothing every day—and, in some cases, reinventing it for the future. Studio visits, interviews, and other resources introduce the history and development of each garment and their changing uses, meanings, and impact over time. Course Learning Objectives: Develop critical tools to appreciate and contextualize fashion design—from everyday clothing to couture garments—through many different perspectives. Trace the history, development, and impact of garments over time, and explore how they may be reinvented. Investigate garments through multiple lenses including politics, identity, and economics. Understand more about the lifecycle of clothing, from its design and production to its marketing, distribution, and consumption. Better comprehend the choices you make about fashion with respect to the visual language of dress, individual and collective identities, and issues such as labor practices, sustainability, and body politics....

SA

I would highly recommend this course for someone passionate about the industry. It's an Insightful course too deepen inside the fashion world, through history, identity, sustainability, and much more.

MP

May 16, 2020

Excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommended it to many. I am a mature student ( 55) and after this, I really feel I want to study a masters in fashion sustainability. Thanks for inspiring me.

226 - 250 of 537 Reviews for Fashion as Design

By CASTILLO, M (

Jul 27, 2020

The course was very nice! It discusses about history and the intricacy of the design process of a garment.

By Charles K

Thoroughly enjoyed learning about many aspects of fashion and design that I did not know about beforehand.

By Nikita s

Jun 12, 2020

I was really good course eith lots of knowledge about fashion and history of fashiin when it was started.

By Ekaterine K

Thanks a lot . This 7 week was really interesting and full of useful information. Good Luck for Everyone.

By Fernanda D G

Mar 05, 2020

Thank you so much! I loved the course!!! I so glad to have taken the course. I learned a lot!! thank you!

By Lena L

Jul 02, 2018

So many fascinating bits of information. A great course for people interested in both design and fashion.

By Kirsten H N

Dec 13, 2017

Very informative course. I learned so much about fashion items, the history behind them and their impact.

By Danielle S

Jan 07, 2018

This was fantastic! I didn't want it to end and I'm hoping there are more courses like this one to come.

By Anahi V L I

Jun 20, 2020

I love it has very varied content and easy to understand if you don't have a very high level of English

By Lizda F A

Jun 07, 2020

awesome and mind blowing learning experience would definitely use it in my life as an artist in fashion

By Jennifer G

Jul 01, 2020

Great course. As an artist with a background in fashion, I still found a lot here. Highly recommend.

By María G

I really like the course. I found it vert informative, didactic and at the same time very interesting.

By Violeta G V

Aug 29, 2020

I enjoyed it very much, and I found it full of information usefull for my design processes. Thank you

By Bernadette E

It was an enriching course on Fashion as Design. I will never look at my wardrobe the same way again!

By Natalia M

Jun 04, 2018

The course was very enriching. I’ve learned a lot and now I can see fashion with another perspective.

By Kay R

Jul 19, 2020

Excellent. Learnt so much, would recommend to anyone with an interest in clothes, design or society.

By Elisa B

May 03, 2020

Fantastic course. I learned many things about fashion culture during these seven weeks. I advise it!

By Tulio B

Apr 09, 2018

Really good! If you are interest in clothing and it's history, this course offers great information.

By JOHN Q

Sep 30, 2017

Fascinating course and something I've never given a thought to. Interesting endeavors......thanks.

By Arlene R

Mar 13, 2018

Excellent course. Introduced me to to the world of fashion design. Explored many design elements.

By Ilona L

Nov 08, 2018

Great course! I learnt a lot from it. Thank you MoMA team for such amazing and informative course!

By Susan d P

Jun 23, 2020

I love the intellectual approach to discussing fashion & wish there were more courses like this.

By Dr. R

Oct 01, 2018

This course is an eye opener. It help to think on various ankles while appreciating a costume.

By Karla B V

Apr 13, 2018

LOVED IT!

Wish it would have been a longer course!

Definitely a MUST if you are a fashion lover.