Back to Fashion as Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fashion as Design by The Museum of Modern Art

Among all objects of design, our clothes are the most universal and intimate. Like other kinds of design, fashion thrives on productive tensions between form and function, automation and craftsmanship, standardization and customization, universality and self-expression, and pragmatism and utopian vision. It exists in the service of others, and it can have profound consequences—social, political, cultural, economic, and environmental. Fashion as Design focuses on a selection of more than 70 garments and accessories from around the world, ranging from kente cloth to jeans to 3D-printed dresses. Through these garments, we’re going to look closely at what we wear, why we wear it, how it’s made, and what it means. You’ll hear directly from a range of designers, makers, historians, and others working with clothing every day—and, in some cases, reinventing it for the future. Studio visits, interviews, and other resources introduce the history and development of each garment and their changing uses, meanings, and impact over time. Course Learning Objectives: Develop critical tools to appreciate and contextualize fashion design—from everyday clothing to couture garments—through many different perspectives. Trace the history, development, and impact of garments over time, and explore how they may be reinvented. Investigate garments through multiple lenses including politics, identity, and economics. Understand more about the lifecycle of clothing, from its design and production to its marketing, distribution, and consumption. Better comprehend the choices you make about fashion with respect to the visual language of dress, individual and collective identities, and issues such as labor practices, sustainability, and body politics....

SA

I would highly recommend this course for someone passionate about the industry. It's an Insightful course too deepen inside the fashion world, through history, identity, sustainability, and much more.

MP
May 15, 2020

Excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommended it to many. I am a mature student ( 55) and after this, I really feel I want to study a masters in fashion sustainability. Thanks for inspiring me.

251 - 275 of 558 Reviews for Fashion as Design

By Bernadette E

It was an enriching course on Fashion as Design. I will never look at my wardrobe the same way again!

By Natalia M

Jun 4, 2018

The course was very enriching. I’ve learned a lot and now I can see fashion with another perspective.

By Kay R

Jul 19, 2020

Excellent. Learnt so much, would recommend to anyone with an interest in clothes, design or society.

By Elisa B

May 3, 2020

Fantastic course. I learned many things about fashion culture during these seven weeks. I advise it!

By Tulio B

Apr 9, 2018

Really good! If you are interest in clothing and it's history, this course offers great information.

By JOHN Q

Sep 30, 2017

Fascinating course and something I've never given a thought to. Interesting endeavors......thanks.

By Arlene R

Mar 12, 2018

Excellent course. Introduced me to to the world of fashion design. Explored many design elements.

By Ilona L

Nov 8, 2018

Great course! I learnt a lot from it. Thank you MoMA team for such amazing and informative course!

By Susan d P

I love the intellectual approach to discussing fashion & wish there were more courses like this.

By Dr. R

Oct 1, 2018

This course is an eye opener. It help to think on various ankles while appreciating a costume.

By Karla B V

Apr 13, 2018

LOVED IT!

Wish it would have been a longer course!

Definitely a MUST if you are a fashion lover.

By Saba E

Jan 20, 2020

Very well designed class including useful, relevant and insightful content. Highly recommend.

By Maria

Jul 21, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course, it was informative and an eye opener, beyond expectations!

By Tobee H K y

Nov 11, 2017

This course really widened my views of fashion and design, I learn too much ! Thanks a lot !

By Sujit U

Dec 5, 2018

I got to know a deep knowledge about almost every garments which human wear in daily life.

By amani a

Nov 26, 2018

إنها أفضل دورة تدريبية على الإنترنت أنا سعيد للغاية وحصلت على معلومات رائعة ومفيدة من قلبي

By Carolina G

May 5, 2020

Such a joyful and enriching experience for anyone curious about design, art & photography

By Citlalli T G T

May 23, 2018

I love it, it make me change the way I look at my clothes and my body.

Thank you so much.

By Ana D

Jan 8, 2018

Very nice experience, learned a lot, especially about suitability and fashion industry!!!

By Jingyi Z

Jul 5, 2018

This class is a lot of fun and brings a new perspective of fashion interpretation to me.

Apr 24, 2020

this course is beneficial to understand and to comprehend fashion dynamics and statics.

By Beatriz C

Apr 13, 2020

It has been a really good experience. It's very complete and it includes good material.

By Kat M

Jun 10, 2020

Fantastic course. So well crafted. I learnt so much that will be useful for my career.

By MAG. H

I was challenged and inspired all at once. Thank you fashion as Design, thank you MoMA