Back to Fashion as Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fashion as Design by The Museum of Modern Art

Among all objects of design, our clothes are the most universal and intimate. Like other kinds of design, fashion thrives on productive tensions between form and function, automation and craftsmanship, standardization and customization, universality and self-expression, and pragmatism and utopian vision. It exists in the service of others, and it can have profound consequences—social, political, cultural, economic, and environmental. Fashion as Design focuses on a selection of more than 70 garments and accessories from around the world, ranging from kente cloth to jeans to 3D-printed dresses. Through these garments, we’re going to look closely at what we wear, why we wear it, how it’s made, and what it means. You’ll hear directly from a range of designers, makers, historians, and others working with clothing every day—and, in some cases, reinventing it for the future. Studio visits, interviews, and other resources introduce the history and development of each garment and their changing uses, meanings, and impact over time. Course Learning Objectives: Develop critical tools to appreciate and contextualize fashion design—from everyday clothing to couture garments—through many different perspectives. Trace the history, development, and impact of garments over time, and explore how they may be reinvented. Investigate garments through multiple lenses including politics, identity, and economics. Understand more about the lifecycle of clothing, from its design and production to its marketing, distribution, and consumption. Better comprehend the choices you make about fashion with respect to the visual language of dress, individual and collective identities, and issues such as labor practices, sustainability, and body politics....

SA

I would highly recommend this course for someone passionate about the industry. It's an Insightful course too deepen inside the fashion world, through history, identity, sustainability, and much more.

MP
May 15, 2020

Excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommended it to many. I am a mature student ( 55) and after this, I really feel I want to study a masters in fashion sustainability. Thanks for inspiring me.

301 - 325 of 567 Reviews for Fashion as Design

By MD. N U R

Jul 22, 2020

I have got huge experience about fashion history.Thanks all of my trainers

By Valerie G

Apr 6, 2020

Great course with broad history of fashion. Packed with great information.

By Gabriel G

Dec 8, 2017

Great course, super interesting, I recommended it to a bunch of my friends

By Hamza N

Jul 19, 2020

Brilliant course! Totally changed my perspective on Fashion and Clothing.

By Juliana L A

Was amazing all the topicc, knowloges and the different views that I got

By Sharon W

May 2, 2020

I absolutely love this course! The content is so engaging and enriching.

By Monica C L

Jan 23, 2020

In love with this course. I am expecting another fashion course of MOMA.

By John D K

Jun 29, 2020

Amazing course! Insightful and engaging! Would definitely recommend it!

By Miranda E A

Mar 13, 2020

It´s amazing the way this curse made me see the fashion and his history

By Lorena P

Dec 1, 2017

Excellent Course!! Congratulations and Thank you for this opportunity!!

By Amisha P

Jun 6, 2020

Thank you for this course. I will recommend this course to my friends.

By Tamara C

Jun 27, 2020

Would love to take it once more. Super useful information! Thank you!

By Chalita O

Apr 23, 2020

Thank you very much for the course, I learned a lot from this course.

By Angiluz S

Mar 27, 2018

FANTASTIC! L'HO TROVATO VERAMENTE BELLO E INTERESSANTE!

BRAVISSIMI :)

By Fernando C F

Sep 23, 2020

Really great Course. Changed my perspectives on Fashion as design.

By Marine S

Sep 18, 2020

really intelligent thinking, modern thinking and a great diversity

By Malgorzata J

Sep 13, 2020

Very interesting and versatile course made accessible to everyone.

By Myvanwy W

Dec 13, 2019

I really enjoyed this course, it was well paced and I learnt a lot

By Jennifer T

Nov 7, 2017

This course is fantastic - well thought out and thought provoking.

By Harriet L

Jul 15, 2020

highly recommend! this course was super informative and very fun!

By Olamide A

Jul 3, 2020

Absolutely worth it. Learned so much about Fashion, I am thankful

By Catherine R

Apr 20, 2020

Un curso muy ultil para entrar en el mundo de la moda y el diseño

By Naufal A

I am very happy with my achievements and will continue to study.