Back to Fashion as Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fashion as Design by The Museum of Modern Art

Among all objects of design, our clothes are the most universal and intimate. Like other kinds of design, fashion thrives on productive tensions between form and function, automation and craftsmanship, standardization and customization, universality and self-expression, and pragmatism and utopian vision. It exists in the service of others, and it can have profound consequences—social, political, cultural, economic, and environmental. Fashion as Design focuses on a selection of more than 70 garments and accessories from around the world, ranging from kente cloth to jeans to 3D-printed dresses. Through these garments, we’re going to look closely at what we wear, why we wear it, how it’s made, and what it means. You’ll hear directly from a range of designers, makers, historians, and others working with clothing every day—and, in some cases, reinventing it for the future. Studio visits, interviews, and other resources introduce the history and development of each garment and their changing uses, meanings, and impact over time. Course Learning Objectives: Develop critical tools to appreciate and contextualize fashion design—from everyday clothing to couture garments—through many different perspectives. Trace the history, development, and impact of garments over time, and explore how they may be reinvented. Investigate garments through multiple lenses including politics, identity, and economics. Understand more about the lifecycle of clothing, from its design and production to its marketing, distribution, and consumption. Better comprehend the choices you make about fashion with respect to the visual language of dress, individual and collective identities, and issues such as labor practices, sustainability, and body politics....

SA

I would highly recommend this course for someone passionate about the industry. It's an Insightful course too deepen inside the fashion world, through history, identity, sustainability, and much more.

MP
May 15, 2020

Excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommended it to many. I am a mature student ( 55) and after this, I really feel I want to study a masters in fashion sustainability. Thanks for inspiring me.

301 - 325 of 611 Reviews for Fashion as Design

By VIMAL R

Oct 24, 2020

I loved this course. The faculty is superb and the pace of teaching is very good.

By Daniela D R

I learned so, so much. Great teachers, great topics to study, and great material!

By Kennia R M

Jan 26, 2019

el cuerso es bastante bueno, muy claro y te da una nueva perspectiva de las cosas

By ASHI J

Jun 17, 2020

Learned many things from this course. I have got a lot of experience from this .

By Julia S

Jun 1, 2020

Amazing experience, very happy I decided to take this course. Thank you so much.

By Mariana C

Jul 4, 2020

Groundbreaking and very updated course about fashion in a anthropological view.

By Lau Z G

Jul 9, 2021

Truly appreciate this course, it gave me a basic knowledge of fashion design .

By Kethu R

Jun 23, 2020

its very helpful for those pupils who are going through the history of fashion

By Gabriela C

May 22, 2020

Mu completo. Una interesante mirada sobre la moda y el diseño de indumentaria.

By Onanong H

Apr 28, 2020

I like this course because it make me understand deeply about core of fashion.

By Edith

Feb 7, 2018

Great course. Thought I knew it all but this course taught me some new things.

By Cora G

Highly recommended if you want to learn about the story behind your garments.

By Katy X

Oct 5, 2020

This course helped me get more understanding of fashion in modern.

I love it!

By Parthiban T

Jun 4, 2020

After this Course a Simple White T-Shirt, is looking like a grandeur costume

By Osleydi

Nov 2, 2018

This is an incredible course and really beautiful for all the fashion lovers

By Jurgita M

Jul 5, 2020

Great online course that teaches critically assess fashion as design object

By Rafsan R

Jul 22, 2020

I have got huge experience about fashion history.Thanks all of my trainers

By Valerie G

Apr 6, 2020

Great course with broad history of fashion. Packed with great information.

By Gabriel G

Dec 8, 2017

Great course, super interesting, I recommended it to a bunch of my friends

By Hamza N

Jul 19, 2020

Brilliant course! Totally changed my perspective on Fashion and Clothing.

By Juliana L A

Was amazing all the topicc, knowloges and the different views that I got

By Sharon W

May 2, 2020

I absolutely love this course! The content is so engaging and enriching.

By Monica C L

Jan 23, 2020

In love with this course. I am expecting another fashion course of MOMA.