Back to Fashion as Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fashion as Design by The Museum of Modern Art

Among all objects of design, our clothes are the most universal and intimate. Like other kinds of design, fashion thrives on productive tensions between form and function, automation and craftsmanship, standardization and customization, universality and self-expression, and pragmatism and utopian vision. It exists in the service of others, and it can have profound consequences—social, political, cultural, economic, and environmental. Fashion as Design focuses on a selection of more than 70 garments and accessories from around the world, ranging from kente cloth to jeans to 3D-printed dresses. Through these garments, we’re going to look closely at what we wear, why we wear it, how it’s made, and what it means. You’ll hear directly from a range of designers, makers, historians, and others working with clothing every day—and, in some cases, reinventing it for the future. Studio visits, interviews, and other resources introduce the history and development of each garment and their changing uses, meanings, and impact over time. Course Learning Objectives: Develop critical tools to appreciate and contextualize fashion design—from everyday clothing to couture garments—through many different perspectives. Trace the history, development, and impact of garments over time, and explore how they may be reinvented. Investigate garments through multiple lenses including politics, identity, and economics. Understand more about the lifecycle of clothing, from its design and production to its marketing, distribution, and consumption. Better comprehend the choices you make about fashion with respect to the visual language of dress, individual and collective identities, and issues such as labor practices, sustainability, and body politics....

SA

I would highly recommend this course for someone passionate about the industry. It's an Insightful course too deepen inside the fashion world, through history, identity, sustainability, and much more.

MP

May 16, 2020

Excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommended it to many. I am a mature student ( 55) and after this, I really feel I want to study a masters in fashion sustainability. Thanks for inspiring me.

301 - 325 of 533 Reviews for Fashion as Design

By Jennifer T

Nov 07, 2017

This course is fantastic - well thought out and thought provoking.

By Harriet L

Jul 15, 2020

highly recommend! this course was super informative and very fun!

By Olamide A

Jul 03, 2020

Absolutely worth it. Learned so much about Fashion, I am thankful

By Catherine R

Apr 20, 2020

Un curso muy ultil para entrar en el mundo de la moda y el diseño

By Naufal A

I am very happy with my achievements and will continue to study.

By Belen S

Jan 11, 2018

Excelente experiencia! Se aprende muchisimo. Recomendado al 100%

By mandy B e

May 15, 2020

i love this course i have learn a lot about fashion and design.

By Christos G

Nov 21, 2017

A new way to look at fashion. Another excellent course by MoMA.

By Luis K

Apr 29, 2020

Loved it and I learned so much

Much Love Luis

By Alejandra M

Feb 09, 2019

I learned a lot about fashion and on how it has been evolving.

By Adriana M H V

Feb 14, 2018

A great course to reflect about fashion role in modern times.

By Diego M

Jun 01, 2020

love every week you learn something new and really interring

By Alberto T

excellent course, great teachers, an incredible opportunity.

By Christopher C

Jun 17, 2020

Excellent well rounded course that inspires and challenges.

By Lucía G P

I have learnt a lot in this course. I highly recommend it.

By Zeyneb L

Jul 01, 2020

Very informative course, rich content...I highly recommend

By Lady G P

Aug 26, 2020

I just love all the contents of this course. Terrific :)

By Muhammad E B A J

Sep 30, 2019

Basic understanding of fashion that is very informative.

By Michelle C

Jun 01, 2020

This course was both interesting and thought provoking.

By Aadhya D

Aug 29, 2018

Its really a wonderful course with amazing instructors.

By Nishanth S

Jun 03, 2020

Very informative! Site and material is organized well.

By Stanislava N

Amazing course, very knowledgeable! Thank you so much!

By Ronit R S

Sep 15, 2020

Very good course i have learned muCh better thn other

By Claudia C d T

Sep 16, 2018

A great content! You will learn and have so much fun!