Back to Fashion as Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fashion as Design by The Museum of Modern Art

Among all objects of design, our clothes are the most universal and intimate. Like other kinds of design, fashion thrives on productive tensions between form and function, automation and craftsmanship, standardization and customization, universality and self-expression, and pragmatism and utopian vision. It exists in the service of others, and it can have profound consequences—social, political, cultural, economic, and environmental. Fashion as Design focuses on a selection of more than 70 garments and accessories from around the world, ranging from kente cloth to jeans to 3D-printed dresses. Through these garments, we’re going to look closely at what we wear, why we wear it, how it’s made, and what it means. You’ll hear directly from a range of designers, makers, historians, and others working with clothing every day—and, in some cases, reinventing it for the future. Studio visits, interviews, and other resources introduce the history and development of each garment and their changing uses, meanings, and impact over time. Course Learning Objectives: Develop critical tools to appreciate and contextualize fashion design—from everyday clothing to couture garments—through many different perspectives. Trace the history, development, and impact of garments over time, and explore how they may be reinvented. Investigate garments through multiple lenses including politics, identity, and economics. Understand more about the lifecycle of clothing, from its design and production to its marketing, distribution, and consumption. Better comprehend the choices you make about fashion with respect to the visual language of dress, individual and collective identities, and issues such as labor practices, sustainability, and body politics....

SA

I would highly recommend this course for someone passionate about the industry. It's an Insightful course too deepen inside the fashion world, through history, identity, sustainability, and much more.

MP
May 15, 2020

Excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommended it to many. I am a mature student ( 55) and after this, I really feel I want to study a masters in fashion sustainability. Thanks for inspiring me.

351 - 375 of 609 Reviews for Fashion as Design

By Alberto T

excellent course, great teachers, an incredible opportunity.

By Christopher C

Jun 17, 2020

Excellent well rounded course that inspires and challenges.

By Lucía G P

I have learnt a lot in this course. I highly recommend it.

By Paulina C

Apr 11, 2021

Me encanto este curso, explicaciones y contenido excelente

By Zeyneb L

Jul 1, 2020

Very informative course, rich content...I highly recommend

By Naruemol T

Nov 16, 2020

Great for a Beginner trying to dip their toe in Fashion.

By Lady G P

Aug 26, 2020

I just love all the contents of this course. Terrific :)

By Muhammad E B A J

Sep 29, 2019

Basic understanding of fashion that is very informative.

By Adriana G

Sep 23, 2020

It is a very educative and insightful course. Worth it.

By Michelle C

This course was both interesting and thought provoking.

By Aadhya D

Aug 29, 2018

Its really a wonderful course with amazing instructors.

By Fahami M A

Jul 3, 2021

A​ great course on understanding fashion and garments.

By Nishanth S

Jun 3, 2020

Very informative! Site and material is organized well.

By Stanislava N

Amazing course, very knowledgeable! Thank you so much!

By Stephanie V

Jan 17, 2021

I have learn so much! Thank you for the great course.

By I a R S

Sep 15, 2020

Very good course i have learned muCh better thn other

By Claudia T

Sep 16, 2018

A great content! You will learn and have so much fun!

By Magdalena C

Mar 13, 2018

Absolutely amazing, high quality, fascinating course!

By Isha K

Apr 25, 2021

it is very helpful for me Coursera thank you so much

By Eyder J C C

Jun 19, 2020

I really enjoyed learning new things about fashion.

By Tanvi R

The concepts should be included in school syllabus.

By Sarah B

Aug 10, 2020

Such a great course! Take it if you love Fashion!!

By sarah s

Jul 6, 2020

Entertaining and informative from start to finish.

By Janin Y

Jul 5, 2020

Lots of information, presented very well! loved it