Back to Fashion as Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fashion as Design by The Museum of Modern Art

Among all objects of design, our clothes are the most universal and intimate. Like other kinds of design, fashion thrives on productive tensions between form and function, automation and craftsmanship, standardization and customization, universality and self-expression, and pragmatism and utopian vision. It exists in the service of others, and it can have profound consequences—social, political, cultural, economic, and environmental. Fashion as Design focuses on a selection of more than 70 garments and accessories from around the world, ranging from kente cloth to jeans to 3D-printed dresses. Through these garments, we’re going to look closely at what we wear, why we wear it, how it’s made, and what it means. You’ll hear directly from a range of designers, makers, historians, and others working with clothing every day—and, in some cases, reinventing it for the future. Studio visits, interviews, and other resources introduce the history and development of each garment and their changing uses, meanings, and impact over time. Course Learning Objectives: Develop critical tools to appreciate and contextualize fashion design—from everyday clothing to couture garments—through many different perspectives. Trace the history, development, and impact of garments over time, and explore how they may be reinvented. Investigate garments through multiple lenses including politics, identity, and economics. Understand more about the lifecycle of clothing, from its design and production to its marketing, distribution, and consumption. Better comprehend the choices you make about fashion with respect to the visual language of dress, individual and collective identities, and issues such as labor practices, sustainability, and body politics....

SA

I would highly recommend this course for someone passionate about the industry. It's an Insightful course too deepen inside the fashion world, through history, identity, sustainability, and much more.

MP
May 15, 2020

Excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommended it to many. I am a mature student ( 55) and after this, I really feel I want to study a masters in fashion sustainability. Thanks for inspiring me.

376 - 400 of 609 Reviews for Fashion as Design

By Rajiv k

Jun 5, 2020

I got good information about fashion and learn it.

By Leona S

Jul 9, 2020

allowed me to view items of fashion in a new way

By MERTHANAKGUMUS

Nov 9, 2020

HARİKA BİR KURSTU HER ŞEY İÇİN TEŞEKKÜR EDERİM.

By Argyro

I really enjoyed this course. Very informative.

By laura f

información espectacular, didáctico y atractivo

By Edima

Apr 10, 2018

Very insightful course about Fashion and style.

By Andrea S

Jan 20, 2021

el mejor curso que he tomado ! me encanto !!!!

By Mymchenko K V

Jul 7, 2020

The course is very informative and interesting

By Jésica A

Jun 23, 2020

Está muy bueno el curso. Lo recomiendo al 100%

By NAGUALAKONDA V T

May 8, 2020

The Best Course For Aspirant Fashion Designers

By Nicholas T

Mar 12, 2018

Very interesting topics and materials covered.

By Серёжкина Д С

Dec 3, 2017

Great course! Thank you for this amazing work!

By isla t

amazing course, so interesting and universal.

By Mercedes T

Jul 10, 2020

Very well thought out and super informative!

By Silvia M

Apr 22, 2020

I loved this course! I highly recommend it.

By Stavroula S

Mar 19, 2020

interesting subject and cool weekly process

By Luz M T

Apr 11, 2021

Fashion as Design is a fascinating course.

By Isaak H

Jul 26, 2020

Essential for anyone interested in fashion

By Sai P g

Sep 8, 2020

Nice option to learn skills on your goals

By Lazaros O

Aug 17, 2019

So inrtesting nice to be a part of this .

By Paula S

Mar 18, 2019

Changed my vision of the fashion industry

By Gidgette U

Sep 28, 2018

THIS WAS AN EXCELLENT ART HISTORY COURSE

By Susie K

Jun 21, 2020

Fantastic course, thoroughly enjoyable!

By Irene C

Jun 9, 2020

Incredible, informative, and heartfelt.

By Kateryna P

Jul 3, 2019

great course, I strongly recommend it!!