Back to Fashion as Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fashion as Design by The Museum of Modern Art

Among all objects of design, our clothes are the most universal and intimate. Like other kinds of design, fashion thrives on productive tensions between form and function, automation and craftsmanship, standardization and customization, universality and self-expression, and pragmatism and utopian vision. It exists in the service of others, and it can have profound consequences—social, political, cultural, economic, and environmental. Fashion as Design focuses on a selection of more than 70 garments and accessories from around the world, ranging from kente cloth to jeans to 3D-printed dresses. Through these garments, we’re going to look closely at what we wear, why we wear it, how it’s made, and what it means. You’ll hear directly from a range of designers, makers, historians, and others working with clothing every day—and, in some cases, reinventing it for the future. Studio visits, interviews, and other resources introduce the history and development of each garment and their changing uses, meanings, and impact over time. Course Learning Objectives: Develop critical tools to appreciate and contextualize fashion design—from everyday clothing to couture garments—through many different perspectives. Trace the history, development, and impact of garments over time, and explore how they may be reinvented. Investigate garments through multiple lenses including politics, identity, and economics. Understand more about the lifecycle of clothing, from its design and production to its marketing, distribution, and consumption. Better comprehend the choices you make about fashion with respect to the visual language of dress, individual and collective identities, and issues such as labor practices, sustainability, and body politics....

SA

I would highly recommend this course for someone passionate about the industry. It's an Insightful course too deepen inside the fashion world, through history, identity, sustainability, and much more.

MP
May 15, 2020

Excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommended it to many. I am a mature student ( 55) and after this, I really feel I want to study a masters in fashion sustainability. Thanks for inspiring me.

526 - 550 of 609 Reviews for Fashion as Design

Aug 7, 2020

well

By vyshnavi A

Jul 4, 2020

Good

By Karuna k

May 4, 2020

Good

By Skgulber

Apr 28, 2020

Good

By Jay S D

Mar 30, 2020

Good

By Elza Y

Jul 31, 2018

Apr 1, 2019

S

By Barbara l

Feb 3, 2021

I very much enjoyed the content of this course. the only frustrating aspect of this course was the peer review. I enjoyed writing the essay but it was a chore to continue to come back to the site to see if there was anything to review. I don't know how computer programs work but it would be nice to be notified that there were essays to read so that I could have done it in a more timely manner.

By Susan G

Jul 31, 2020

The course was quite interesting though there were sections that were repetitive. As a instructor myself, I understand why one would set up lessons in this manner. A few of the videos were too lengthy. My favorite section of the course was the in-depth look at the suit manufacturing on Sevile Row in London. I hope to take more courses through MoMA and want to thank you for this opportunity.

By Marjolaine G

Dec 23, 2017

Very enjoyable course but I feel like it was heavily based on the exploration on items instead of waves of movements. Week 7 was the best week with the most actual questioning and exploration into fashion and deeper meaning. All in all, I still enjoyed it and learned a lot about the history of various clothing items.

Edit: Very high quality sources for videos and articles!

By Nadine Z

Mar 13, 2020

I am very happy that this course was offered and that you let so many different people have their say. However, I personally found some (only a few) contributions poorly structured and not very enlightening. One for example was the video "Designer Kerby Jean-Raymond on the Hoodie". I think that this video was not well done (for example: I did not like the scrolling part).

By Tanya B

Jun 5, 2020

I really liked the idea of making this course for us students to get to know about fashion sitting home as it fulfils the demand of giving knowledge and inspiration to young brains I honestly learned quite a things from here about its origin and evolution history is always interesting how that thing comes in fashion and all so for me I loved the idea of studying it

By Pamela J

Jul 28, 2020

I really enjoyed the course but am still waiting on corrections for to my grades to weeks 4, 5 & 6 quizzes. I have included detailed problems in the flag for comment file about the items that are effecting my grade negatively. Otherwise the overall content was very good and enjoyable. I would feel good about suggesting the program to others.

By Alexa D A

Nov 10, 2017

What is really awesome and enlightening about this course is the approach to fashion items through their own design and the message for which they were created or have been used for. Each piece of clothing contains a sort of secret that we can discover or re discover in this course.

By Pedro O V

Nov 19, 2017

Nice selection of garments as examples and discussion points. Excellent points made through the whole course as to the modern discussions happening in the fashion world. Good introduction into thinking about fashion as a design discipline.