Back to Fashion as Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fashion as Design by The Museum of Modern Art

Among all objects of design, our clothes are the most universal and intimate. Like other kinds of design, fashion thrives on productive tensions between form and function, automation and craftsmanship, standardization and customization, universality and self-expression, and pragmatism and utopian vision. It exists in the service of others, and it can have profound consequences—social, political, cultural, economic, and environmental. Fashion as Design focuses on a selection of more than 70 garments and accessories from around the world, ranging from kente cloth to jeans to 3D-printed dresses. Through these garments, we’re going to look closely at what we wear, why we wear it, how it’s made, and what it means. You’ll hear directly from a range of designers, makers, historians, and others working with clothing every day—and, in some cases, reinventing it for the future. Studio visits, interviews, and other resources introduce the history and development of each garment and their changing uses, meanings, and impact over time. Course Learning Objectives: Develop critical tools to appreciate and contextualize fashion design—from everyday clothing to couture garments—through many different perspectives. Trace the history, development, and impact of garments over time, and explore how they may be reinvented. Investigate garments through multiple lenses including politics, identity, and economics. Understand more about the lifecycle of clothing, from its design and production to its marketing, distribution, and consumption. Better comprehend the choices you make about fashion with respect to the visual language of dress, individual and collective identities, and issues such as labor practices, sustainability, and body politics....

SA

I would highly recommend this course for someone passionate about the industry. It's an Insightful course too deepen inside the fashion world, through history, identity, sustainability, and much more.

MP
May 15, 2020

Excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommended it to many. I am a mature student ( 55) and after this, I really feel I want to study a masters in fashion sustainability. Thanks for inspiring me.

551 - 575 of 600 Reviews for Fashion as Design

By Roberto V

Apr 28, 2020

Great insights about iconic pieces of fashion and their connection with humanity - yesterday, today, and tomorrow!

By Luana G

May 23, 2020

Very interesting and well-built. Got to know many things I didn't imagine about lifecycle and history of clothes!

By Maureen

Jun 18, 2020

wonderful course that has taught me the history of fashion and made me understand the stories behind fashion

By Sarah D

Sep 26, 2020

It was an interesting to learn but for those who can't afford it would be nice to receive a certificate.

By Asif H

Jan 12, 2021

An interesting course which explored a diverse array of garments, processes and aspects of cultire.

By Yade r

Apr 24, 2020

i really had good experience learning fashion as design . it really add values to my wardrobe .

By veena m

May 22, 2018

i really got to know what are deep wonderful things that we never see in designs and clothes.

By Ayisha L

Apr 21, 2020

It changed the way I viewed fashion and has instilled a sense of sustainable responsibility.

By Olesya M

Mar 25, 2019

Made me think about fashion in a different light. There is so much more than meets the eye.

By Blessing E

Jul 27, 2020

well organized and easy to learn course. Thanks to all the organizers of this course.

By Joy S

Jan 14, 2018

interesting. Has a lot of reading and you need to read it or you won't pass quizzes.

By Rhea P

Aug 27, 2020

I have completed the course but unable to find option to get certificate

By Poppy H

Sep 21, 2020

This course was good but there was slightly to much reading.

By Bárbara I

Apr 19, 2020

Gracias, necesito saber como adquiero el certifcado.

By Neethu B

Oct 29, 2020

Thanks and regards all Fashion as Design team....

By radhvi k

Jun 24, 2019

just understood, Fashion with different eyes..!

By Eden R

Apr 18, 2020

Interesting, inspiring and recommendable.

By PHAM T N L

Oct 19, 2020

W哦已经得到很多知识,同时这课学也帮我发展很多技能 ,对我这个爱好有很大的帮助。

By cat j

Apr 4, 2018

nicely made. great extra material

By THAMINA A P

Jul 1, 2020

It was an amazing course

By Connie Y