Back to Fashion as Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fashion as Design by The Museum of Modern Art

Among all objects of design, our clothes are the most universal and intimate. Like other kinds of design, fashion thrives on productive tensions between form and function, automation and craftsmanship, standardization and customization, universality and self-expression, and pragmatism and utopian vision. It exists in the service of others, and it can have profound consequences—social, political, cultural, economic, and environmental. Fashion as Design focuses on a selection of more than 70 garments and accessories from around the world, ranging from kente cloth to jeans to 3D-printed dresses. Through these garments, we’re going to look closely at what we wear, why we wear it, how it’s made, and what it means. You’ll hear directly from a range of designers, makers, historians, and others working with clothing every day—and, in some cases, reinventing it for the future. Studio visits, interviews, and other resources introduce the history and development of each garment and their changing uses, meanings, and impact over time. Course Learning Objectives: Develop critical tools to appreciate and contextualize fashion design—from everyday clothing to couture garments—through many different perspectives. Trace the history, development, and impact of garments over time, and explore how they may be reinvented. Investigate garments through multiple lenses including politics, identity, and economics. Understand more about the lifecycle of clothing, from its design and production to its marketing, distribution, and consumption. Better comprehend the choices you make about fashion with respect to the visual language of dress, individual and collective identities, and issues such as labor practices, sustainability, and body politics....

SA

I would highly recommend this course for someone passionate about the industry. It's an Insightful course too deepen inside the fashion world, through history, identity, sustainability, and much more.

MP
May 15, 2020

Excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommended it to many. I am a mature student ( 55) and after this, I really feel I want to study a masters in fashion sustainability. Thanks for inspiring me.

576 - 600 of 601 Reviews for Fashion as Design

Jun 17, 2021

nice

By Savit P

Apr 29, 2020

GOOD

By Gilly M

Aug 20, 2020

I found this the most disappointing of the courses I have taken at MOMA during lockdown. There didnt seem to be much focus or discipline on some of the weeks with everything thrown in willy nilly - plus some rather weird features, like the australian designer from RMIT who designs outfits for dead people. And why would you dedicate NINETEEN minutes to door knocker earrings??!!

So I would only rate this 3 out of 5 (being generous because I loved some of the videos eg the couture theme Savile Row tailor and the final week biker jacket with LED lights)

By N K

Dec 8, 2020

Great opportunity to reexamine classic pieces in my wardrobe through the multiple lens of meaning, history, production, design, and politics. However, the topics addressed seemed very broad and it was not always clear how the items may be related to one another (the clearest modules were perhaps Silhouette, Lifecycle, and Modesty).

By meryem b e

May 4, 2020

It is a good start for the fashion field, to learn fashion history and the today's fashion and backgrounds. but if you are looking for something in the next level this course won't be sufficient to improve skills.

By Chanchal

Jun 8, 2020

This is nice course .and we learn alot from this course .we learn to create new ideas through this course.this is nice app and nice course.

By Laura A

Please add something other than items at some point it feels repetitive. Or make it interesting somehow towards the middle.

By Sanya m

Jun 8, 2020

The course material is good but it doesn't give much opportunity to test the learning, it is very less interactive.

By Camil R

Apr 26, 2021

It’s good but not enough

By qingjian w

Apr 26, 2020

Good course

By julianna b

Sep 3, 2020

good

By Minhajul A

Jun 1, 2020

Avg

By Louisa B

Sep 30, 2020

to much reading

By Sheila

Jul 8, 2020

Seriously? Don't. What will you learn. Not much of interest. The testing questions are irrelevant. Like important learning is what 5 out of 7 materials were used to make some boots. They get ideas in the middle and change the course to suit. Like let's all now take pictures of our personal fashion and submit. Not. At the end a peer assesed essay determines if you pass. You get to write it again and again until you get 80%. Seriously? What qualifies these people to determine your pass? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I suggest Coursera look closer at the content of this course. I did it for "fun", didn't pay. If I had paid I'd be demanding my money back.

By Barakat S A

Mar 24, 2020

i like dz course but i taught u said the certificate is free why are u pple reqyuesting for money b4 i can print my cert

By Akash P

Dec 17, 2020

I want to unenroll this course.

By vivian