Back to Fashion as Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fashion as Design by The Museum of Modern Art

Among all objects of design, our clothes are the most universal and intimate. Like other kinds of design, fashion thrives on productive tensions between form and function, automation and craftsmanship, standardization and customization, universality and self-expression, and pragmatism and utopian vision. It exists in the service of others, and it can have profound consequences—social, political, cultural, economic, and environmental. Fashion as Design focuses on a selection of more than 70 garments and accessories from around the world, ranging from kente cloth to jeans to 3D-printed dresses. Through these garments, we’re going to look closely at what we wear, why we wear it, how it’s made, and what it means. You’ll hear directly from a range of designers, makers, historians, and others working with clothing every day—and, in some cases, reinventing it for the future. Studio visits, interviews, and other resources introduce the history and development of each garment and their changing uses, meanings, and impact over time. Course Learning Objectives: Develop critical tools to appreciate and contextualize fashion design—from everyday clothing to couture garments—through many different perspectives. Trace the history, development, and impact of garments over time, and explore how they may be reinvented. Investigate garments through multiple lenses including politics, identity, and economics. Understand more about the lifecycle of clothing, from its design and production to its marketing, distribution, and consumption. Better comprehend the choices you make about fashion with respect to the visual language of dress, individual and collective identities, and issues such as labor practices, sustainability, and body politics....

SA

I would highly recommend this course for someone passionate about the industry. It's an Insightful course too deepen inside the fashion world, through history, identity, sustainability, and much more.

MP
May 15, 2020

Excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommended it to many. I am a mature student ( 55) and after this, I really feel I want to study a masters in fashion sustainability. Thanks for inspiring me.

101 - 125 of 558 Reviews for Fashion as Design

By E P

Jul 1, 2018

I learned a lot from this course, and it had one of the more active discussion groups I've seen in a Coursera course. I love that it went into the details of the exhibition and into how the exhibition was conceived and curated.

By Simona V T

Thank you for sharing such an amazing material! Every single topic was interesting, made me think more about garments lifecycle and ethics. Clothes are not clothes enymore, every single piece have the story behind. Thank you!

By Jaci S

Jun 2, 2020

This class was not just informative about the history of fashion, yet insightful on many current issues of sustainability and took a deep dive into how we purchase and what we wear today. I would highly recommend this class.

By Anson M M

Oct 16, 2020

Amazing course! I've learned a lot throughout the past few weeks! For those who wanna set foot into the fashion retail industry, this course definitely can show you some insights and how the future of fashion would be like.

By Julia L

Jun 2, 2020

A fabulous exploration of clothing items replete with historical anecdotes that might enable you to win a gameshow..... LOL; simply a great lens through which to examine fads, fashions, and ones own wardrobe. Delightful.

By Sabrina L B

It was such an incredible course. It's amazing how a simple garment has so much history behind it. Every time I wear an item I will remember where it came from, the materials used and who wore it.

Very satisfied!

Sabrina

By Bernardo I d S M

Sep 3, 2020

An amazing course that gave me very interesting insights on major fashion topics such as sustainability and identities. An excelent choice of interviewees too. Congratulations to the whole team, great course! Thank you

By SORAIA D M F

Jun 20, 2020

Excellent course! I am not a keen on fashion, nor I do not follow trends. But this course help me to understand the magnific world oof fashion and how a simple cloth is an expression of resistance, rebellion, and love.

By Patti C

May 14, 2020

I was totally engaged through the course and loved the mix of media that was used. It opened up my eyes and mind to so many facets of the fashion industry including history, ethics and design. Super highly recommended!

By Claudia C

Jan 15, 2018

A really interesting and easy to follow course, perfect for professionals but also for general culture. Opened up my mind and made me think about certain things from different perspective. Really really enjoyed it!!!

By Alice-Mae D

Jun 27, 2020

I really enjoyed the course and I would definitely recommend it! It has made me look at clothing items with more of an open mind! I've deepened my understanding of the fashion industry and the history of clothes. :)

By Jessica B

I really enjoyed this course. It improves your skills and knowledge of fashion. It is well structured, every week it describes a different topic in a really detailed way. I recommend everyone to start this course.

By Kai L

Nov 19, 2018

I had learned so so so much through this class that I don't even know where and how to begin. My passion toward fashion has raised so much with this course. Thank you MoMA and the course team for all the efforts!

By Kimberley H

Feb 13, 2018

Fantastic, inspirational and engaging course. I learned more about fashion than I ever knew. I enjoyed learning about couture and silhouettes, and particularly liked the Mars boot prototype and the sneaker mask.

By Abigail W

Aug 24, 2020

It's really interesting to examine the clothes we wear under a microscope and question how they came to be. MoMA's course looks at a huge variety of garments and uses tons of unique voices to teach this course.

By Angela C A H

The course seemed very enriching to me because of what I learned, what I remembered, because in the practice of my work I have related to some items of the course and due to the investment of time.

Thank you.

By Jing X

I really enjoyed taking this course and going through all the concepts offered. This course definitely made me think a lot about my own fashion and wardrobe perspective. Hope to see more courses from MoMA!

By Gabriel T R

Jan 16, 2018

This course is one of the best I've taken in a while. If you have an interest for art hisory and cultural background of things this curse will show you how to understand the context of garments in fashion.

By Liberty N

Oct 29, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. I would definitely recommend as a good course for an introduction to the fashion and design world, or as a new perspective for those with more knowledge in the fashion world!

By Beth D

Jun 20, 2020

Incredibly challenging, intellectually and interpersonally, yet leaves you wanting even more opportunities for learning, growing and contributing to the rapidly evolving worlds of both design and fashion.

By Clara T A

Aug 28, 2018

This is a fantastic super recomended course for anyone who likes fashion and design aswell as to know the background of many iconic fashion pieces!

Thank you MoMa! It was a pleasure! I would take it again!

By Dario A

Apr 22, 2020

I enjoyed every minute spent on this course, incredibly interesting it explores fashion from many points of view, it definitely gave me a lot to think about when it comes to or relationship with clothes

By Sandra P S d l B

Jun 3, 2020

I want to thanks Moma to offer a course so complete and well prepared.I have learned a lot about fashion,hand made garments,sustainability and to think in fashion from another way more complete.

By Bernardo R L

Sep 6, 2020

Excellent course, content and the institution is incredible. Everything is very organized, making fluency in the construction of knowledge. Thank you very much Bernardo Lins São Paulo Brazil

By Elisabet A

Apr 11, 2019

This is a very interesting course. I feel I have learnt a lot about history of fashion and the most important aspects linked to the industry, specially sustainability. I totally recommend it.