Back to Fashion as Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fashion as Design by The Museum of Modern Art

Among all objects of design, our clothes are the most universal and intimate. Like other kinds of design, fashion thrives on productive tensions between form and function, automation and craftsmanship, standardization and customization, universality and self-expression, and pragmatism and utopian vision. It exists in the service of others, and it can have profound consequences—social, political, cultural, economic, and environmental. Fashion as Design focuses on a selection of more than 70 garments and accessories from around the world, ranging from kente cloth to jeans to 3D-printed dresses. Through these garments, we’re going to look closely at what we wear, why we wear it, how it’s made, and what it means. You’ll hear directly from a range of designers, makers, historians, and others working with clothing every day—and, in some cases, reinventing it for the future. Studio visits, interviews, and other resources introduce the history and development of each garment and their changing uses, meanings, and impact over time. Course Learning Objectives: Develop critical tools to appreciate and contextualize fashion design—from everyday clothing to couture garments—through many different perspectives. Trace the history, development, and impact of garments over time, and explore how they may be reinvented. Investigate garments through multiple lenses including politics, identity, and economics. Understand more about the lifecycle of clothing, from its design and production to its marketing, distribution, and consumption. Better comprehend the choices you make about fashion with respect to the visual language of dress, individual and collective identities, and issues such as labor practices, sustainability, and body politics....

SA

I would highly recommend this course for someone passionate about the industry. It's an Insightful course too deepen inside the fashion world, through history, identity, sustainability, and much more.

MP

May 16, 2020

Excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommended it to many. I am a mature student ( 55) and after this, I really feel I want to study a masters in fashion sustainability. Thanks for inspiring me.

151 - 175 of 492 Reviews for Fashion as Design

By Marcia L

Apr 25, 2018

The history of the fashions touched on was phenomenal. I loved the chapters on Sustainability, and they’ve made me a much more conscious buyer.

By Aracelis V S

May 12, 2020

This course was so interesting and fun, I loved how clear and concise all the content was arranged! Would definitely take another MoMA course!

By Eirini A

May 05, 2020

I really had a great time, and the point of view was really refreshing! Loved it. Deepened my perspective on each piece of garment/accessorie.

By Ana D N

May 04, 2020

Es un recurso muy interesante para profesionales y público interesado en el trabajo técnico de los museos y aspectos fundamentales de la moda.

By Deniz O S

Jun 03, 2020

An eye opening course. Gives hints what to expect from clothing industry in the future as well as the history of some important garments.

By María J S

Jun 18, 2019

Me encantó, me encanta que la moda refleja el pensamiento humano en todo su explendor. Gracias por la información y la calidad del curso.

By Annie M

Jun 15, 2020

Really interesting, in-depth and well-curated. I recommend this course to those working in fashion or simply interested in its history.

By KHAN M R U R

I just got to add an another dimension of observation technique to my expertise . Thanks a lot and wish to work with the collaborators.

By Sonoko I

Jul 04, 2020

By taking this course, fashion became more than just an outward appearance, it became an embrace of its history and background. Bravo!

By Julian C

Jun 12, 2019

I LOVE THIS COURSE VERY VERY MUCH, SO SAD ITS ALREADY OVER, I LEARNED INCREIBLE NEW THINGS AND I HOPE CONTINUE BUILDING THAT KNOWLEDGE

By ANUM R

Nov 18, 2018

Wonderful course for every fashion design student who is studying fashion with historical perspective and their making and importance.

By Christy

Feb 11, 2018

MoMA is so generous to offer this course to us for FREE! A million thank yous for this opportunity which I could not otherwise afford.

By Tracey G

May 22, 2020

Excellent inputs from the course instructors. This course provided a rich range of resources and in-depth interviews. A great course!

By Mariya a v

This course is truly amazing and helpful for all the beginners and for everyone who wants to build up new skills in different careers

By Chhavi R

Mar 31, 2020

I learned a lot from this course about design I learned about colour combination I learned how colour impact on someone’s personality

By Farida K

Aug 28, 2019

I never thought gaining this much knowledge at free cost would be possible. Thank you for everything. It was an eye opening course.

By Eliana P

Jul 08, 2020

This was such a fantastic course! I learned so much about subjects I'm passionate about. I would definitely recommend this course!

By Nji L C

Jan 03, 2020

The best course on obtaining knowledge in the Fashion World of today with relation to previous years, The course is just the best

By Alexandra P

Nov 25, 2019

Thank you for the course "Fashion as Design". It includes a great variety of content that is really up to date and useful for me.

By Roqaya A F

Jan 21, 2018

It is an excellent source of information, it will widen your thoughts and the way you are looking at your wardrobe, I assure you.

By sogol j

Jul 08, 2020

It was really great to learn new things about fashion world and see other side of it in very easy and interesting way.thank you

By Natasha A b B

Jul 03, 2020

Really enjoyed the course overall! I recommend this course to those with passion in fashion, even with minimum knowledge on it.

By Niharika G

Dec 07, 2017

I strongly recommend this course to anybody who is associated with the Apparel industry. I got to learn a lot from this course.

By Mathew K

Apr 23, 2020

This course has changed my perspective on looking at design especially Fashion Design and I am so glad that I did this course.

By Zsuzsanna H

It was very useful ❤️During the pandemic this course helped me forget what is going on in the world.....Thank you sooo much;)