Back to Fashion as Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fashion as Design by The Museum of Modern Art

Among all objects of design, our clothes are the most universal and intimate. Like other kinds of design, fashion thrives on productive tensions between form and function, automation and craftsmanship, standardization and customization, universality and self-expression, and pragmatism and utopian vision. It exists in the service of others, and it can have profound consequences—social, political, cultural, economic, and environmental. Fashion as Design focuses on a selection of more than 70 garments and accessories from around the world, ranging from kente cloth to jeans to 3D-printed dresses. Through these garments, we’re going to look closely at what we wear, why we wear it, how it’s made, and what it means. You’ll hear directly from a range of designers, makers, historians, and others working with clothing every day—and, in some cases, reinventing it for the future. Studio visits, interviews, and other resources introduce the history and development of each garment and their changing uses, meanings, and impact over time. Course Learning Objectives: Develop critical tools to appreciate and contextualize fashion design—from everyday clothing to couture garments—through many different perspectives. Trace the history, development, and impact of garments over time, and explore how they may be reinvented. Investigate garments through multiple lenses including politics, identity, and economics. Understand more about the lifecycle of clothing, from its design and production to its marketing, distribution, and consumption. Better comprehend the choices you make about fashion with respect to the visual language of dress, individual and collective identities, and issues such as labor practices, sustainability, and body politics....

SA

I would highly recommend this course for someone passionate about the industry. It's an Insightful course too deepen inside the fashion world, through history, identity, sustainability, and much more.

MP
May 15, 2020

Excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommended it to many. I am a mature student ( 55) and after this, I really feel I want to study a masters in fashion sustainability. Thanks for inspiring me.

151 - 175 of 611 Reviews for Fashion as Design

By amy o

Aug 19, 2020

This is a really fantastic overview of the role of fashion in global culture. It really covered alot of different eras and styles and was engaging and entertaining.

By Maria C B

Jun 1, 2020

I really enjoyed the class because it gave me an insight eye on a world that I love. It got deep and analyzed what best describes ‘fashion’ in its thousand facets.

By Jasmine S

Jul 2, 2018

This is an unbelievably awesome course! I have learned so much about fashion in ways I had never thought about it before. Thank you MOMA for this excellent course!

By Maxwell A

Jun 10, 2018

Really enjoyable and informative course. It was the first course I ever took "for fun", and I'm glad I took it. I learned a lot and enjoyed myself the entire time.

By Pamela G L

Jul 19, 2020

I love the course, it was easy to learn something new, it was entertaining and I learn a lot of every garment and accessory. I would like to study another course.

By Federica A

Jun 3, 2020

Such an amazing way to go deeper in such themes that were presented every week.

Very happy with the results and will definitely sign myself into another course.

By SREE D M

Coursera is very useful to gain more knowledge about subject . online fashion as design course is more information and used more effective time to spend in this

By Agustina S

May 3, 2020

It was a really good course. The amount and variety of content was manageable and carefully selected so that everything read was worthwhile. I really enjoyed it

By Panagiota S

Jun 6, 2020

I really enjoyed every single moment! It was an opportunity to expand my horizons and feel creative and productive and set new goals for my career development.

By Jamie H

Jan 14, 2018

I like this course very much. It opened my vision of the development of garments as well as accessories and reminded me to review the manufacturing of clothes.

By Judy W

Sep 12, 2019

This is a fantastic course and very informative, learned a ton about fashion and worth to revisit many articles and videos in the future. Highly recommend it.

By Mahshid

Throughout the course, my perspective and understanding of design as fashion has broaden, especially on clothes which to me seemed simple, but in no way are.

By Sára H

May 4, 2020

Very well put beginner course on fashion design and the history of fashion with special attention to sustainability and social responsibility as a consumer.

By Diane B

Jun 8, 2020

Wonderfully stimulating and informative, excellent materials, terrific historical perspective, loved the sustainability aspect, the economics, everything.

By Margareta P

Nov 19, 2017

This course taught me lots of basic information about Fashion. Pieces of clothes and accessories are presented via Silhouettes, Modesty, Expression, etc.

By ifihadfriends

Aug 31, 2020

This is a wonderful look into the world of fashion construction, history and design. I just wish there were more courses out there that built on this!

By YURITZA C G B

Jun 21, 2020

Without a doubt this course made me broaden my knowledge, it made me change the way I see clothes and the history behind it.

I definitely recommend it

By Heshanie I T

Loved the course! It had great content and gave me such a great insight into fashion and issues surrounding it! It was designed in a very engaged way!

By Beatriz Q

Sep 27, 2021

English is not my first lenguaje but this course made it easy to understand. I really recomend it to people who want to understand more about fashion

By Tom S

Nov 15, 2020

First time that I tried an online course and it was absolutely worth it. Many interesting insight and great perspective. Definitely would recommend

By Asmitha S

Jul 21, 2020

Very interesting and informative. Thoroughly enjoyed studying this course. Highly recommend it!

My only complaint is that I wish it were longer :^)

By Belén M S

Jun 18, 2018

Genial y lleno de personas apasionadas por la moda, el contenido es bastante rico en información sin estar sobrecargado. Me siento muy satisfecha

By Dawne S

Jul 21, 2020

Really good comprehensive and exploratory themes and information. Learnt new things, cemented previous knowledge and gave new insight. Thank you

By Leandra V

Jun 15, 2020

I am Anlly Leandra Villa Pulgarin and I live in Colombia. I thing that, It was an excellent course. with many interesting and creative themes.

By Fernanda C

Jun 13, 2020

I really enjoy learning all the material is this course, this as really motived me to continued learning more about design. Thank you very much