Back to Fibonacci Numbers and the Golden Ratio

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fibonacci Numbers and the Golden Ratio by The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

Learn the mathematics behind the Fibonacci numbers, the golden ratio, and how they are related. These topics are not usually taught in a typical math curriculum, yet contain many fascinating results that are still accessible to an advanced high school student. The course culminates in an explanation of why the Fibonacci numbers appear unexpectedly in nature, such as the number of spirals in the head of a sunflower. Download the lecture notes: https://www.math.ust.hk/~machas/fibonacci.pdf Watch the promotional video: https://youtu.be/VWXeDFyB1hc...

JR
Jul 12, 2020

Someone has said that God created the integers; all the rest is the work of man. After seeing how the Fibonacci numbers play out in nature, I am not so sure about that. A very enjoyable course.

BH
Oct 28, 2020

Great course concept for about one of the most intriguing concepts in the mathematical world, however I found it on the difficult side especially for those who find math as a challenging topic.

226 - 250 of 288 Reviews for Fibonacci Numbers and the Golden Ratio

Jul 17, 2020

Great

By RAMANOV B A

Sep 5, 2020

GOOD

By Mrs A C

Jul 27, 2020

Nice

By Nagireddy s

Jul 24, 2020

Nice

By Naga M G

Jun 12, 2020

Good

By Madhapuram m

Jun 2, 2020

good

By ARAVINDH D

Good

By Rajeshree D

Jan 28, 2019

best

By Meg- n n

Jul 2, 2017

in

By Zeynep Y O

Nov 8, 2019

Overall, an interesting course that cannot be found ordinarily in a classroom setting. Instructor explains the concepts well, and the personal element adds to the course. Gives new insight into the meaning of numbers and definitely helps improve certain math skills such as proving statements, geometry, algebra etc. Quizzes are easy, a light course in terms of assessments overall.. One downside is that the questions have no solutions posted (at least I could not find it) so we do not have a correct framework for answering these types of questions. Also, some videos had an excessive non-mathematical, historical and oriental side to them which did not exactly appeal to me. However, definitely a unique course that will provide you with a unique perspective.

By Deep P

Apr 30, 2020

This course did a great job of giving me an amazing understanding of the Fibonacci numbers and the golden ratio. I found it super interesting, and I was delighted whenever a connection was found between the two large subjects was found. One recommendation that I have to improve the course is to provide a little more assistance/hints with solving the HW proofs/problems. I found some of them tricky at times, and giving up made me feel unsatisfied, so help in solving or giving out strategies on how to do difficult proofs would be greatly appreciated.

By Paul R M

Apr 27, 2018

I liked this course, and I discovered the amazing relationships one can derive for Fibonacci numbers and related entities. The lecturer is very clear, and if one does the exercises then one gets a good grasp of the subject. I gave it only four stars partially because the subject matter seems to be more a way to amaze your friends rather than doing something relevant. I would like to understand if it can be applied to real world problems. Maybe that's because I am not a mathematician!

By Mike H

Jul 5, 2020

I enjoyed the course well presented and documented. One suggestion Professor Chasnov mentioned other Maths courses that are available. A problem I have being retired but interested in maths, what other classes are suitable, I often go into high school courses that I did years ago, or head off into really challenging areas that I have no chance of completing. I suggest that there should be a course tree maybe for number theory as a topic that gives guidance.

By Anne P

Jun 14, 2020

An interesting course with enough 'easy' bits to counteract the very hard parts.

Only thought about improvements would be to see the lecturer smile. For example, he said he'd had fun in the course but his face indicated he was bored by it all. It's nice if you can show that you enjoy the work so students think it's interesting to do.

By Kim R

Really enjoyed the enthusiasm and interest level of the professor. Math level was cumbersome at times, but overall gained an appreciation for these numbers and their beauty! Thanks for offering this course.