Back to Financial Planning for Young Adults

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Financial Planning for Young Adults by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Financial Planning for Young Adults (FPYA), developed in partnership with the CFP Board, is designed to provide an introduction to basic financial planning concepts for young adults. The FPYA course is organized across eight separate modules within a 4-week window. Topics covered include financial goal setting, saving and investing, budgeting, financial risk, borrowing and credit. Because financial planning is such a personal topic, you will be encouraged to define your own financial goals and objectives while we discuss concepts and provide tools which can be applied in helping you reach those goals. Within each module, you will view a combination of traditional lecture style videos along with video vignettes that introduce financial topics for discussion among participants. The video vignettes provide a unique and exciting component to this course. Each vignette introduces a real-world scenario where financial decisions must be made and financial planning concepts can be applied. You will be challenged to think critically about each scenario and decide how you might come to a resolution if ever faced with a similar situation. Finally, the course also includes material throughout which is focused on career opportunities in financial planning, including video interviews with actual CFP® professionals and other professionals working in this exciting and growing career area. The final module in the class is devoted to the topic of financial planning as a career....

Jun 21, 2020

I really enjoyed the course throughout its duration, the teachers are easy to understand even for a non-english (I'm Italian). I look forward to put the skills I've acquired to use!

DH
Dec 20, 2020

What a wonderful introduction to financial concepts and the world of personal finance. If you take this course, you will learn something new every week and will not be disappointed!

101 - 125 of 128 Reviews for Financial Planning for Young Adults

By Logan D

Mar 31, 2020

During the pre-recorded lectures, the camera goes away from the PowerPoint slides and onto the person who is talking. It is difficult to take notes if the video does not spend much time on the PowerPoint slides with the important information. To start and stop the video to take notes is annoying.

By Erin H

Aug 1, 2017

I found this course a great overview of the concepts of financial planning: budgeting, borrowing, lending, and investing. The content was thorough and clearly laid out. I would recommend this course to someone who is interested in having an introduction to this topic or as a refresher.

By Alessandro S E

Dec 28, 2019

I'm very happy. Because I'm not native speaker, even so I got it complete all tasks. And I recommend to you that need pratice your 2 lenguage while you learn another subject. Also, Now I'm considering to work with Financial Planning. Coursera, Thank you very much!

By Lauri G

Mar 31, 2018

Great class overall. I would like to see more updated information, as many of the links no longer work and the material is from about 2012. I would also love to see more diversity in the vignettes.

By TAN Y J

Aug 5, 2017

Financial planning as a career seems too forceful at the end of the course.

Other then that, it is a very good course with good contents and interesting videos for easy understanding.

By Tobechukwu M N

Jun 30, 2020

This course is so rich is nature and in content. It improves various financial aspects of individuals especially young adults and also ensures we secure a good financial future.

By Julia S

Jan 20, 2021

Weeks dedicated to saving and investing were very interesting and useful. The insurance topic (week 4) was too long and not much relevant for my country.

By Marjolaine G

Dec 21, 2017

Very clear, concise and easy to understand. I have a much stronger grasp on my personal finances and what to do when facing future financial situations.

By Veresa N

Jun 1, 2020

This course is a good preview of what Financial Planning is and covering all the basic knowledge about most aspects of becoming a Financial Planner.

By Om R

Jul 29, 2020

The course is elaborate and comprehensive, though a little too elementary. Mostly suitable for people with no prior financial knowledge.

By Black H

Apr 16, 2020

If you value your money, and have an interest to make a small difference in your spending habits. Then this course is for you.

By leander b

Jul 30, 2020

The information in this course is complete, but I believe that the professors still have some rooms to improve on.

By Rayana W O

Sep 6, 2020

It is a very good course for introducting personal finances, but some parts are too focused on the US.

By Eleonora C R

Mar 8, 2021

I really liked the course and I think it helped me a lot to learn about financial planning.

By Magali C B

Oct 24, 2020

very useful course

By Shaima S

Jan 8, 2021

There were many new interesting information that I have gained from this course. I benefitted from some of this information to better manage my money, but I did not feel that I belong to this course completely. True for some points they mentioned that they are for USA citizens, but that is not my problem. Nor my problem is that they include information for more people in different case scenarios, but it all felt very Western to me. As a person from the Eastern hemisphere, I did not feel that I completely belong to this course. There were many times that I skipped through the lectures because I knew they were not for me, especially not the current me. They might benefit me in the future and I can look back to them. Some information were very basic and kind of shocked me that the lecturer went on too long on them, but I cannot speak for every citizen. The course teaches on multiple things that can benefit even older people that have not gotten into the basic of their finance. I liked that there were quizzes that we can take to better understand ourselves and I shared some of them with my family members so we can compare and all of understand ourselves, especially our money personality type. It is good to hold onto the information gained from this course and it is good that you can access your courses anytime later in life. This course can be most beneficial for those who are starting to work.

By MD A I

The course only on US-based though they providing the course throughout the world. So they might have to think about the financial system of third world countries too.

By Cengiz C

Dec 6, 2020

For me persoanlly it was to basic, but that does not mean, that the course was not good. I got confirmation for all my knowledge!

By RAGHAV S

Sep 5, 2020

There is still a scope of Improvement !

By da b

Jan 20, 2021

Need more content and examples.

By CHANDAN K

Nov 22, 2019

make it more advance

By Sam H

Feb 27, 2018

I was surprised those auditing the course can't even take the quizes (that are graded by the computer). I've never seen that in a MOOC before. Made the course seem of lower quality.