Back to The Finite Element Method for Problems in Physics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Finite Element Method for Problems in Physics by University of Michigan

This course is an introduction to the finite element method as applicable to a range of problems in physics and engineering sciences. The treatment is mathematical, but only for the purpose of clarifying the formulation. The emphasis is on coding up the formulations in a modern, open-source environment that can be expanded to other applications, subsequently. The course includes about 45 hours of lectures covering the material I normally teach in an introductory graduate class at University of Michigan. The treatment is mathematical, which is natural for a topic whose roots lie deep in functional analysis and variational calculus. It is not formal, however, because the main goal of these lectures is to turn the viewer into a competent developer of finite element code. We do spend time in rudimentary functional analysis, and variational calculus, but this is only to highlight the mathematical basis for the methods, which in turn explains why they work so well. Much of the success of the Finite Element Method as a computational framework lies in the rigor of its mathematical foundation, and this needs to be appreciated, even if only in the elementary manner presented here. A background in PDEs and, more importantly, linear algebra, is assumed, although the viewer will find that we develop all the relevant ideas that are needed. The development itself focuses on the classical forms of partial differential equations (PDEs): elliptic, parabolic and hyperbolic. At each stage, however, we make numerous connections to the physical phenomena represented by the PDEs. For clarity we begin with elliptic PDEs in one dimension (linearized elasticity, steady state heat conduction and mass diffusion). We then move on to three dimensional elliptic PDEs in scalar unknowns (heat conduction and mass diffusion), before ending the treatment of elliptic PDEs with three dimensional problems in vector unknowns (linearized elasticity). Parabolic PDEs in three dimensions come next (unsteady heat conduction and mass diffusion), and the lectures end with hyperbolic PDEs in three dimensions (linear elastodynamics). Interspersed among the lectures are responses to questions that arose from a small group of graduate students and post-doctoral scholars who followed the lectures live. At suitable points in the lectures, we interrupt the mathematical development to lay out the code framework, which is entirely open source, and C++ based. Books: There are many books on finite element methods. This class does not have a required textbook. However, we do recommend the following books for more detailed and broader treatments than can be provided in any form of class: The Finite Element Method: Linear Static and Dynamic Finite Element Analysis, T.J.R. Hughes, Dover Publications, 2000. The Finite Element Method: Its Basis and Fundamentals, O.C. Zienkiewicz, R.L. Taylor and J.Z. Zhu, Butterworth-Heinemann, 2005. A First Course in Finite Elements, J. Fish and T. Belytschko, Wiley, 2007. Resources: You can download the deal.ii library at dealii.org. The lectures include coding tutorials where we list other resources that you can use if you are unable to install deal.ii on your own computer. You will need cmake to run deal.ii. It is available at cmake.org....

Mar 13, 2017

It is very well structured and Dr Krishna Garikipati helps me understand the course in very simple manner. I would like to thank coursera community for making this course available.

IK

Jul 21, 2019

The course is great and the tutors are very helpful. I just have a suggestion that there should be more coding assignment like one for every week.\n\nThank you

26 - 50 of 64 Reviews for The Finite Element Method for Problems in Physics

By Rahul S

Jun 13, 2018

It's awesome.

By E B K

Sep 22, 2017

Great we can learn many things

By ISAAC T

Jul 29, 2017

Incredibly instructive, even for an industrial engineer especialzed in mechanic like me.

By Devara s

Jul 10, 2017

it is good course it more useful to us and i learn lot information for this course thanking you giving for this opportunity

By Eik U H

May 26, 2018

Looking backward from the end of this course I know, whatever I felt during the last months, this course is really great. Thank you very much.

By Matthijs S

Jul 11, 2017

Well-structured course with high quality lectures and slides in Galerkin FEM for problems in physics. A 'Must Take' to every professional in computer-aided design for research and concept development.

By Harsh V G

Dec 07, 2017

excellent course , explains stuff right from the basics.

great job overall !!

By Asan A

May 15, 2018

Thank you very much that you helped me understand of the FEM. I'm so happy that I could find your online course.

You did a really very significant course which help to people easily fıgure out the FEM.

By 李晨曦

Jun 06, 2017

Instructions (in lecture and coding assignment) are clear and easy to follow. Contents of the lectures are somewhat repetitive, but I think it's OK because it allows you to go over previous materials just by watching the lecture and taking notes. Talking about potential improvement, I think it would be nice to give some more explanations to certain details, such as how the connectivity matrix is constructed.

By Elizabeth F

Jul 05, 2018

I like this course it is useful because have theory and the application part.

By Prasanth s

Jul 12, 2017

thank you sir for giving this offering of this course

By Houssem C

Sep 16, 2018

very interesting course

By Marco R H

Jun 23, 2019

nice one!

By Bowei " W

Jan 09, 2019

Thank you Prof. Garikipati and Greg for the amazing course. I have learned a lot about the FEM and am going to apply the knowledge to my research project.

By DEEPAK K P

Mar 17, 2019

An exceptionally created course with every detail of the subject matter. Thanks a lot.

By LO W

Aug 31, 2019

It is worth to put some effort on this course. I learn alot .

By 杨思超

Aug 30, 2019

very good course on explaining the mathematical ground of FE and connecting it with the physical domain. Also learned a lot on the coding part of the FE modeling

By MOHD. F

Jun 19, 2017

Exceptional!

Need to invest a great deal of time to understand thoroughly.

By Harold L M M

May 12, 2018

This is an excellent course on Finite Element Method. It's a very complete one. This course includes the mathematical theory of finite elements and the practice by using deal.II C/C++ library. This course requires a lot of effort, but the gain of knowledge worth the effort.

I highly recommend it to both engineers and mathematicians interested in solving PDEs with the finite element method.

Thank you very much professor Krishna Garikipati !!!

By RAKSHITH B D

Sep 16, 2018

The needful course for me

By Marvin T

Jan 15, 2019

In principle, it is a good course and taught in a very understanding manner. For a five star rating, I would like to suggest that there should be additional physics, e.g. convection problems, or turbulence, featuring a CFD chapter for example with heat transfer.

By Vinayak V

Dec 30, 2018

The course was was great. However, illustrative examples solving real engineering problems could be introduced in lecture.

By Kapouranis I

Jun 29, 2018

Really recommend it. There will be times when you think you should give up, but just finish it. It is worth it.

By Pierre B

Mar 17, 2017

This is a good intro course which introduce the Finite Element Method step by step, which suited me perfectly since I hardly coded in c++ nor did FEM before.

Nevertheless, as a graduate student, the pace is very slow, and the outline and motivation unclear, which would likely have discouraged me if I did not review video in x2, and stuck to second week lectures and onward.

I would advise to introduce more outline and motivation at the beginning of the week lecture to keep students motivated.

Apart from that, I recommand the course !

By Antonio R

Jun 21, 2018

The course is really deep and I have to say the professor really inspired me to keep learning.It might be a little slow but the course is in general pretty good.