Back to Writing in First Person Point of View

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing in First Person Point of View by Wesleyan University

If you have always wanted to tell your own story—in a memoir, first-person essay, or any other form of autobiographical non-fiction—but felt you lacked the tools or the framework, this is the class for you. We will learn how successful first-person writing is structured to offer the reader a sense of propulsive motion, and is guided by a narrator who is deliberately crafted. We will explore the ways in which language can be used to create tone, so that the emotional freight of your words is as potent as the storytelling. And crucially, we will consider the writer's responsibility to the reader: the importance of being a guide who includes the reader in the sensory, emotional, and intellectual experience you mean to share through your writing....

JW

Feb 25, 2019

As a writer and a blogger I felt like I should brush up on my craft. This course was very enlightening and Ariel Levy was engaging and informative.

AA

Nov 06, 2019

Ariel Levy gives specific examples of books and excerpts to illustrate the learning points. This is very helpful and much appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Reviews for Writing in First Person Point of View

By John E P

Nov 13, 2019

Ariel, I enjoyed Course 2 of the Specialization. In particular I enjoyed Developing a Narrator and Developing Trust with the reader. Then there was Where to begin and Finding your voice. What is your point is another. I have downloaded all the videos so that I can go over them until I get all the concepts. I really glad I took this course and this Specialization. I am on vacation in a few days so I may not complete all the peer scoring but I listened to all the videos and downloaded the text.

I am writing my first book which will not only be a memoir but also a help for those who suffer from illness.

By Christopher A

Feb 14, 2020

The quality of the presentations are so outstanding. Special thanks to Professor Ariel Levy for the clear, reassuring and can-do style of her presentations. My writing skills has improved and my confidence level is increasing. Thank you for granting me the chance.

By June W

Feb 25, 2019

By ANSARI S A

Nov 06, 2019

By Jummai

Dec 28, 2019

Ariel Levy was absolutely engaging throughout the class and she really opened up my mind to my writing potential.

By Filia G

Dec 19, 2019

The mini-lectures are gold in mouth guidance, and the weekly assignments are well-thought drills!

By Liliane M

May 10, 2019

Ariel Levy's personality and passion is contagious.