Back to Writing in First Person Point of View

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing in First Person Point of View by Wesleyan University

If you have always wanted to tell your own story—in a memoir, first-person essay, or any other form of autobiographical non-fiction—but felt you lacked the tools or the framework, this is the class for you. We will learn how successful first-person writing is structured to offer the reader a sense of propulsive motion, and is guided by a narrator who is deliberately crafted. We will explore the ways in which language can be used to create tone, so that the emotional freight of your words is as potent as the storytelling. And crucially, we will consider the writer's responsibility to the reader: the importance of being a guide who includes the reader in the sensory, emotional, and intellectual experience you mean to share through your writing....

JW

Feb 25, 2019

As a writer and a blogger I felt like I should brush up on my craft. This course was very enlightening and Ariel Levy was engaging and informative.

AA

Nov 06, 2019

Ariel Levy gives specific examples of books and excerpts to illustrate the learning points. This is very helpful and much appreciated.

1 - 14 of 14 Reviews for Writing in First Person Point of View

By John E P

Nov 13, 2019

Ariel, I enjoyed Course 2 of the Specialization. In particular I enjoyed Developing a Narrator and Developing Trust with the reader. Then there was Where to begin and Finding your voice. What is your point is another. I have downloaded all the videos so that I can go over them until I get all the concepts. I really glad I took this course and this Specialization. I am on vacation in a few days so I may not complete all the peer scoring but I listened to all the videos and downloaded the text.

I am writing my first book which will not only be a memoir but also a help for those who suffer from illness.

By Dave S

May 01, 2020

Absolutely brilliant! Ariel Levy's way of teaching is straightforward, inspiring, energetic, and clear. I wish I could do more courses with her. The content was most useful, and the sequence in which it was presented was right on. I wasn't the same when I finished the course. Thanks for this!!

By Christopher A

Feb 14, 2020

The quality of the presentations are so outstanding. Special thanks to Professor Ariel Levy for the clear, reassuring and can-do style of her presentations. My writing skills has improved and my confidence level is increasing. Thank you for granting me the chance.

By Mitchell B

May 23, 2020

This course has renewed my passion for writing and flexed literary muscles I have not used in quite a long time. The specific writing exercises flowed from one to the next cohesively and with purpose. A great course!

By June W

Feb 25, 2019

By ANSARI S A

Nov 06, 2019

By Jummai

Dec 28, 2019

Ariel Levy was absolutely engaging throughout the class and she really opened up my mind to my writing potential.

By Sarah S

Apr 25, 2020

I appreciated Ariel Levy's tips, reading selections and also the particular exercises. All of it stretched me.

By Filia G

Dec 19, 2019

The mini-lectures are gold in mouth guidance, and the weekly assignments are well-thought drills!

By Ronald L W S

This is a great course. I am going to study for the whole specialization. Highly recommended!

By Ana K E B

Excellent course to learn how to express your opinion.

By Liliane M

May 10, 2019

Ariel Levy's personality and passion is contagious.

By Erica S

May 22, 2020

I loved Miss Levy.

By Mary S

Apr 21, 2020

This was my first Coursera course, and will be my last. The absence of any input on the assignments from the instructor seemed more than a bit lame. The instructions for the assignments were awful. The worst instructions were for the final piece, which until today I didn't realize was meant to be for my entire memoir - I thought it was for one essay! While I thought the discipline of needing to get words on paper and review others' words was good, I found the course way less than satisfying. I'm making a second entry here to say that at a minimum, someone should check the accuracy of the voice-to-text narrative of the instructor's work. It is absolutely full of errors that would be easily corrected, but fit the overall impression of the course.