Back to Stanford Introduction to Food and Health

AE
Jun 21, 2018

SD
Aug 6, 2020

I really enjoyed doing the course, Very elaborate and informative course. Things are simplified so much that anybody can understand the basics of nutrition which helps in making the wise food choices.

26 - 50 of 5,245 Reviews for Stanford Introduction to Food and Health

By Biswajeet D

May 20, 2019

wonderful any one want to great knowledge should do this course from stanford....

By Hannah S

Jan 16, 2020

I enjoyed the first week as it delves into the science behind food but the last three weeks felt like common sense tips.

By Jessica S

Jan 18, 2016

Far too easy and far too basic for me. I would have hoped for a more in-depth and scientific look at food and nutrition.

By Maggie W

Apr 6, 2020

This course allows me to mend my relationship with food and eating again. I used to be so caught up in just trying to lose weight and tried various of difficult-to-maintain diets and felt very discouraged when the result was not as pleasing as I wished. But after taking this course, it not only helps me relearn some of the fundamental knowledge about food but it also put me in a totally new perspective of how we should eat. It inspires me to cook at home more often and treat each meal as a celebration of food. I would definitely recommend this course everyone!

By Adderly D J v A

Dec 8, 2019

me gusto mucho, el contenido es muy fácil y las gráficas ayudan mucho a comprender mejor los temas, y la descripción de la profesora es facil de comprender. me gusta mucho por los subtitulos porque no se hablar ingles pero tengo los subtitulos en español y puedo comprender todo el material que estan hablando.

By Sneha G

Dec 5, 2019

This is really nice course and sach a amazing information about nutrition . This is one part of nutrition . Its a good knowledge about food and nutrition field . Thanks coursera for provide this course .

By Raúl C C A

Dec 9, 2019

Me encantó es te curso, fue de gran ayuda, me ayudó a alimentarme mejor y nos es difícil de comprender, es muy importante tener conocimiento sobre este tema, definitivamente recomiendo el curso.

By Tran T K

Dec 6, 2019

Thank you, Doctor Maya, for this course. Every lesson is valuable and easy to practice. Everyone should join this course for better eating habits.

By Neil C

Dec 8, 2019

Very helpful and easy to understand.

By Alexander W

Dec 6, 2019

A bit short, didn't give me the feeling of accomplishment I wanted! Plenty more to add about Water. How and why it makes you feel hungrier being dehydrated or fills you up when you "feel" hungry. Some info on why "athletes" eat/ need more protein and maybe some info on how people work out their calories. i.e. Fat 1-2g per KF or Lean body mass. Protein about 1.4-.18g * bodyweight(in kgs). Then carbs fill up the remaining subtracted by your Metabolic rate + exercise/

By Lucy S

May 12, 2019

Very biased view on nutrition, and not in line with latest research on sugar danger.

By graham f

Nov 28, 2016

This has ruined my life.

By adriana g

Apr 24, 2020

extremely basic

By Sofia P D M

May 5, 2020

I always thought I needed to have an IDEA on HOW to follow a HEALTHY diet, but I never felt like having the chance to spend some time on it.

When, due to the COVID pandemic, I had MORE TIME, I decided to check the possibility of doing some course on HEALTH and NUTRITION online. When I found THIS ONE, I immediately thought it would be WONDERFUL for me.

Since the moment I started, It got me "hooked", I found it so "easy going" and INTERESTING, that I wanted more, more and more of it! I just wanted to finish it the same day!

I even got a bit "pissed" cause at the beggining the QUIZZES were "locked" with specific dates, and I wanted to continue further and further, I did not want to wait. (I was even complaining about it everywhere I could).

But then, when I saw on Monday 4th May, that all QUIZZES were UNLOCKED, I was sooo HAPPY, I immediately continued and finished it all so HAPPILY.

It's a very SATISFYING course. Professor MAYA Adam, MD, makes it so SIMPLE and passionating to follow it, that you just want to go on and on with it. She's an AMAZING person and an incredibly GOOD MENTOR, I want to THANK HER and the Stanford University for having made this COURSE and having given people the chance to follow it onlie.

I HIGHLY recommend it to EVERYONE, no limitations, and AGAIN, I want to thank MAYA and all who contributed, for this great COURSE.

Sending you the VERY BEST regards from Spain!!

By Meharaj

May 30, 2017

Videos were simple,interesting and easy to follow and I finished it one day:). I appreciate Michael and Maya for including Indian food and Islamic view on diet .

I am a Muslim and born in south India. Based on that I would like to comment on few things;- Quran mentions that eat and drink( any healthy drink except alcohol) but do not transgress; It is more explained in Hadeeth, teachings of prophet Muhammed, peace be upon him that for a man a few morsels are sufficient; if he is still hungry let him fill his stomach with 1/3 food, 1/3 water and 1/3 air. It's a pity that in all developed countries we eat food for fun and pleasure.

In South India, Idli is made by soaking rice, black gram(urad dal or uzhunthu) , fenugreek seeds for a few hours, grinding it with salt, fermenting it overnight and steam boiling it the next day. It's balanced with any fresh ground chutney or sambhar(lentil soup) or Idli podi(lentil powder). What Maya showed is called pittu another south Indian dish. In easy blend pancake recipe, baking mix is typed as backing mix. In islamic culture, the theme is 'we are based on what we eat'.That's why it has more guidelines on what we eat and how much we eat and how eat. Unfortunately, we, muslims ignored that guidelines. In India, they are adopting western foods :(

Thanks! Looking forward to see more research on the way eat !

By Ginger M

Apr 5, 2020

Dr. Maya Adam has a nice way of presenting. She's very calm, sincere, knowledgeable, interested and aware that the average Joe Schmo doesn't have a heavy background in the sciences to understand a more complex presentation which nutrition is. I highly recommend this course, because it gives some nutritional terms and concepts, in the first couple of lessons like the hyper glycemic value of foods, macronutrients, monosaccharides, polysaccharides, intrinsic sugar, amino acids, and metabolic syndrome, but the course doesn't overwhelm you. I think that Dr. Maya Adam could have given a few more concepts and used some more academic vocabulary. Dr. Michael Pollen has an equally calm and sincere way of presenting. He complements Dr. Maya Adam, and I love his mantra: "Eat Food, Not too much/ mostly plants." Both instructors aimed to make this course enjoyable, and informative. Eating the foods we do that may not be helpful to us has to do with mindset and using food for all that ails us. This latter part should have been addressed more. I like the way the course ends with Dr. Adam Maya welcoming us into her kitchen with her children nearby and baking, cooking and sharing her love of foods with her favorite recipes. It makes you feel very welcome in this homey atmosphere.

By Tracy A W

Jul 7, 2020

The title is Introduction to Food and Health, and that's what it is - an introduction. The information is presented in a clear and concise manner, but in order to pass the quizzes, you have to pay attention and listen. I took the class because I realized that I have never had any formal training in how to eat, and I feel like I really gained some knowledge about that subject. Some of the information I did already know but maybe not in a detailed manner. What I didn't know was cleared up for me. Most importantly, I truly started to understand the reasoning behind eating whole foods instead of processed foods. And I've always felt like cooking was too hard or beyond my reach, but after listening and then watching the videos at the end, I feel like maybe it's not so hard. I haven't had that many successes in the kitchen, but the recipes presented were easy to understand, and not complicated and had simple ingredients. One thing, I wish those recipes included nutritional information so that we know what we're eating - for those of us who are weight conscious, etc. Also the instructor is very pleasing to listen to and I enjoyed her take on things. Thank you!

By Fabio P

Feb 19, 2020

For the first time in my adult life I weight 158 pounds. This weight scared me so much that I decided to visit a doctor. The diagnostic turned out to be ok. After reading Omnivores Dilemma by Michael Pollan, I made some simple transitions that change my eating habits. For example most of the cakes and cookies I consume are homemade. I still enjoy drinking a coke with my meal but I reduced the portion to a quarter of the small bottle. Reading on this course about changing the plate size to reduce the intake of food make me extremely happy. This course has highlighted many of my (accidentally) healthy changes that I have done this year. It is phenomenal to put creativity and science to understand food. This course is like eating homemade popcorn, extremely healthy and easy to digest. The language on the quiz changes a bit so it requires a little bit more slow reading. But slow reading is not a bad thing at all, just like food, it allows us to intake the material better. MD Maya Adam does an incredible job in preparing the information for the course.

By Morgan R

Nov 25, 2019

My mother was obsessed with the Keto diet (don't tell her I said that). It put her in a three-day coma, and we nearly lost her. I remember her following several different fads when I was growing up, and honestly, as a working mom, I fell into the same processed trap that she had fallen into when she was a working mom to four kids and a full-time student.

I work for the Ozark Foothills Literacy Project, a tiny nonprofit that teaches adults basic skills. I have recommended this course to my students, because I didn't feel I was qualified to teach nutrition (I'm overweight). I also struggle with insulin resistance due to PCOS and Dysautonomia. I am working on correcting my bad habits and modeling good ones for my daughter. I don't ever want her to struggle the way that I have. She's two. Where most kids would throw a fit for a toy when their mom is at the market, she throws tantrums for mandarin oranges. #ParentWin

Thank you for providing this course for free. I've introduced you to an entire Juvenile Detention Center, and they are ecstatic.

By Calac A

Nov 8, 2020

This course was a short introduction to health. It teaches the audience the importance of nutrition and its relationship between health and food we consume. I found this course interesting, with accessible, clear information, that can be understood by everyone. This online course is a great opportunity to get insights from nutritionists and change lifestyle, that can lead to significant improvements.

The course was consisted of video lectures, graded assignments and readings. The video lectures were clear, with lots of visuals and easy to watch and assimilate. The readings were entertaining and interesting to read. The assignments were all based on the video lectures with clear formulated questions.

My goal for this course was improving my lifestyle, by getting new information about health, food and nutrition and I think I accomplished it. I am very happy about completing the course, because it was worth the effort and time. I am very thankful to Coursera and Stanford University for creating this wonderful course.

By Jenny R

Jul 9, 2017

This is an excellent introductory course on food and health. I learned quite a bit about nutrients that I didn't know and was reminded of things that had learnt in the past and forgotten. It was an excellent companion to a lifestyle transformation I'm trying to do. It's nice having a reminder each week (by going through the course material) of why you are doing what you are doing (healthy food choices) and what you can improve. The course was not very time consuming and just easy to understand and follow. It's perfect, if you have a busy schedule and can't devote too much time on an online course. I'm now looking forward to further improving my knowledge on nutrition by attending another course on a similar topic. Perhaps another course that delves more into behaviour science and healthy eating would be a great next step after this course. Or a nutrition specialisation... Just putting it out there...

By Xin S

Sep 5, 2017

I really appreciate this course! It took me about a month to finish it and I have learned. As a Chinese, I am not really a big fan of North American's fast food and diet, but now I am living in Canada, and the eating culture does affect my life style. I do notice that usually how little vegetables in a Canadian's meal after staying here for a few years. Thanks for this course that I have a clue that how bad fast foods are, the importance of plant-based food and the negative impact of unbalanced food structure to one's life. I hope more and more people can realize the truth of processed food. The most that I have learned from this course is the golden rule: 1/2 plant-based food, 1/4 protein and 1/4 rice or noodle. I have tried it for probably two weeks and it works for me. I have lost some weights and feeling better:) I have also learned how to cook some great dishes! Thanks Maya.

By Meagan P M

Aug 15, 2018

A good introduction to food and nutrition that is readily digestible for anyone. Some historical background without going into potential food industry conspiracies (marketing strategies aren't conspiracy, they are fact) is lightly covered to provide context for the Western diet and food experiences. The tone of the course does not demonize food choices and stays on point to promote eating more whole foods and eating in moderation in general. The basic science behind how humans process food into energy is covered well with simple diagrams and does a good job of using both scientific words as well as layman's terms together to make the information more easily understood. Overall, the course promotes taking an active role in the food we eat in order to support our health.

By Nikita K

Sep 23, 2018

This course isn't that much of a "course" where you need to study and work a lot, but more of an interactive guide to how we can improve our day-to-day approach to eating and preparing food. For me, many of the things outlined during the course were eye-opening. I've already started applying some of the ideas in real life e.g. substituting processed foods with the natural equivalents, started cooking at home more often. I really loved how the concepts were described in this course - in a comprehensible and actionable way. I will now try to dig deeper some of the topics like nutrients, calories consumption to balance my diet considering that I'm also doing sports. I would recommend this course to anyone who wants treat eating consciously and not as some routine stuff.

By Jon M C

Feb 14, 2016

Extremely well produced. I would have liked a little more bit information but for a Free Intro class it's well worth it. Being a food professional in the industry over 20 years the challenge is getting others to change their eating habits. Stopping the super sized highly processed food consumed here in America is difficult when many of the people think that is their only choice and for some of the poorest it is. But all of us can and should pass this message on to others.

On a side note, lose the animation of the overweight guy with the flannel shirt and the cutoff sleeves. You've just alienated a demographic you would like to see change in. Kind of elitist in my opinion. Not that I own any flannel shirts :)

Thank you for a great course!

Jon M. Costedoat