Back to Principles of fMRI 1

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Principles of fMRI 1 by Johns Hopkins University

Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) is the most widely used technique for investigating the living, functioning human brain as people perform tasks and experience mental states. It is a convergence point for multidisciplinary work from many disciplines. Psychologists, statisticians, physicists, computer scientists, neuroscientists, medical researchers, behavioral scientists, engineers, public health researchers, biologists, and others are coming together to advance our understanding of the human mind and brain. This course covers the design, acquisition, and analysis of Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) data, including psychological inference, MR Physics, K Space, experimental design, pre-processing of fMRI data, as well as Generalized Linear Models (GLM’s). A book related to the class can be found here: https://leanpub.com/principlesoffmri....

SM
Aug 29, 2020

It was a wonderful beginning to a topic details of which were unknown to me. Thank you to both the instructors for making the videos crisp, informative and understandable. Thank you very much.

JB
Jan 9, 2019

It is really easy going and interesting course. With good explanations that keep you on track easily. I really liked it since the begging and it gave me curiosity to undertake the second one

1 - 25 of 136 Reviews for Principles of fMRI 1

By Zaeem H

Apr 26, 2019

It's not really a beginners course. Reviews most of the important fMRI statistical analysis concepts. Additionally, the information regarding MR Physics involved was invaluable.

By Sadoun

Jun 10, 2018

Too much theory. No practice and practical online sessions on SPM for example.

By Bushra K

Apr 25, 2020

Really lots of new knowledge,But not exactly not relevent from my field but learn alot new things that very helpfull for my further study.Thank you COURSERA for upgrade my knowledge.

By Francesco C

Apr 23, 2017

Very clear introductory course about fMRI. It touches almost every concept needed to understand an MRI experiment. Many complex topics were explained in a very clear and concise way.

By Marcel D S

Jun 26, 2018

Very densly packed course with many great information. Sometimes it went a bit too fast, though. I wish there was a bit more explanation for some of the more advanced ideas. Still a very good course that made me confident to start analyzing some fMRI data that I have at hand.

By Aleksandr M

Sep 20, 2017

A very good introduction, but you would need some decent knowledge in statistics to fully understand the methods part. Standard undergrad psychology courses in statistics should be enough.

By chenqingwei

Mar 28, 2018

Very fasinat

By Maansi D

Apr 19, 2016

Instructors tend to talk too fast and read off the slides verbatim instead of thoroughly explaining the topic

By Katrina L

Oct 17, 2018

Simple things are explained in difficult way. Too much definitions, not enough explained in own words.

By Anthony V

Jul 1, 2017

While I enjoy a tough course, this course was actually pretty tough to follow because of the huge amount of statistical knowledge required to be able to understand each module. I think that the course description was a bit misleading for us because I really thought that we would come across examples of fmri studies for us to interpret rather than get into the statistical aspects of these medical machines.

By Alina M

Aug 9, 2016

As a person who actually studied physics and knows a little about data science, I am literally baffled the way information presented and lectures speak. Really don't recommend this cource at all. because Week 1 materals is a imcomprehenisble mess full of incorrect explanation and vague definitions.

By Мария

Sep 28, 2019

Thank you so much! Its not a nightmare anymore when I begin to think about dealing with fMRI statistics! Step by step you opened all tricky (maybe not all but I feel that I am able to face all of them now) moments in this field. I feel really happy that I have found this course and I'm very greateful for such opportunity! Thank to all of the people who are making such opportunities possible!

By Getentey

This is an excellent course. Really helpful for future neuroimaging fMRI studies. Nicely explained the theoretical and practical cases of various fMRI models and techniques. It would be more helpful if the statistical data analysis part was more elaborative or given reference content. Enjoyed the full course and thanks to the Professors and Coursera.

By Sabrina K

Oct 4, 2017

Very nice course - very detailed and well structured, thank you very much for offering! I enjoyed all lectures and also learned while trying to pass the quiz ;) ..only a small criticism, sometimes the subtitles have small (verbal) mistakes in it and I prefer having one compact lecture as I could already see it will be made in fMRI principles 2.

By Monica L

Mar 11, 2016

I was incredibly impressed by the way in which Professor Lindquist and Professor Wager were able to take relatively complex concepts, and present them in a way that was engaging and accessible. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone interested in familiarising themselves with fMRI research.

By Dorian L

May 23, 2020

A really good overview of fMRI experiments and analyses! The course go into details with clarity and is interesting to follow. Although the part of Design Matrices is a bit difficult and I'd like to have some "beginners explanations", this course is a must in a neuroscience perspective.

By Klebert T d S C

Oct 17, 2017

It's a fast paced course that presents useful tools to understand fMRI methods and interpretation of findings. There is some mathematical content that will use a background of matrices operations and transformations as a prerequisite. Review some of that and you're good to go.

By Dengfeng H

Sep 9, 2018

I personally like this course very much. I have a overview of the basic fMRI techniques from the course. It is well organised and relatively easy to understand. I would like to recommend to others. Also, thanks for the instructors of the this course: you are very helpful!

By Janzaib M

Jan 21, 2019

This is course gives a very comprehensive understanding of fMRI technology. The course can be further improved by adding some practical or visual assignments instead of quizzes only.

Thank You, Coursera!!

Thank You, John Hopkins University & University of Colorado Boulder.

By Carmen B

Jun 26, 2020

Very interesting with challenging yet foundational information. I had to go over the videos many times, but felt really good when I finally grasped a difficult concept. A good balance between theory ("the why") and execution ("the how"). Ready for fMRI 2!

By chenshuai

Oct 6, 2020

it is a very well made course for brain imaging beginners. If there is something need to be improved, I think a bit more practical practices such as data analysis other than the quiz questions would be helpful.

By Dr. S M

Aug 30, 2020

By Dominik K

Feb 23, 2018

Great insights and incredible work-up! Tor did an exceptional job lecturing as well. I feel like I learned a lot and drew intensive lessons from this course. Can't wait for the second part :)

By José M P B

Jan 10, 2019

By Baptiste F

Jun 12, 2019

Very well made, teachers are awesome! Thank you very much for this course that clarify greatly a lot of the principles in fMRI. You will need some prerequisites in statitics sometimes.