Back to Character Design for Video Games

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Character Design for Video Games by California Institute of the Arts

In this course you will explore concepts and approaches involved in creating successful character designs that can be applied to video games. Following a first week delving into some foundational concepts for successful character design, each of the remaining three weeks are structured as a master class where you will observe three professional character designers at work in the studio: Andy Ristaino (Adventure Time), Jacky Ke Jiang (Journey), and Robertryan Cory (SpongeBob SquarePants). Each designer will take on two different design challenges on the fly and address the various issues in designing characters for games, such as movement, expression, and technical limitations. At the end of each week you will have an opportunity to try out some of the concepts from that week's lesson on characters of your own design. This is a fun and engaging class especially useful for students interested in animation in film and TV as well as games, and is suitable for students of any drawing ability....

JM
Dec 21, 2016

As I said earlier, I recommend this course for everyone; doctors included (:\n\nI like how this course was treated in a different way. We see people doing the job on there ground, that's interesting.

AM
Nov 5, 2017

Fun and challenging to me. Is not easy to me to create new characters, but with this practice and professional examples, I feel more confident to just do and see what happens. Thank you, very much.

151 - 175 of 195 Reviews for Character Design for Video Games

By Steve C

Aug 10, 2019

This was probably my favorite course of the 4 pre capstone courses. Having played video games pre Atari, the other classes weren't a huge surprise but the activities were fun. This is the first one that really challenged me to get out of my comfort zone.

By Eduardo L

Mar 15, 2016

For the first course, you will only be drawing. You will not learn anything about programming video games. It was nice that they showed famous artists for cartoons, but the videos felt too long, with dialogues that felt like rambling at times.

By Simon W

Jul 26, 2020

I liked the course itself and the assignments but something has to be done about spammers that just give one point and write "good" or "nice" in both the positive and negative feedback box. This really takes away a lot of the fun.

By Andrea B

Mar 13, 2016

I would have liked to get input on my work by an instructor instead of just other students, but it was a good exercise to hone my skills. I wouldn't pay for credit because I feel like my work isn't being professionally graded.

By David M

Oct 31, 2019

Very cool to see other artists in their "zone" talking about their experiences and giving some advice, gave 4 stars instead of 5 just because plenty of the talking isn't as informative as I would have liked.

By Anna M T

Apr 20, 2020

Only issue with this course is that since there's only peer review and your peers can all be at different levels of skill, you run the risk of not getting any constructive criticism.

By Ramon M L

Nov 29, 2018

I like the course but missing some basics of character design. As body shapes drawing, personalities, i wanted some basics on how to draw and approach to designing characters.

By Joshua B

Aug 31, 2017

This course expanded my mind into creating a character inspired by surroundings. I have designed characters before in class but this was the next level i needed!

By Jose S

Feb 3, 2020

Very interesting and engaging activities. It was great to make designs to be compared and assessed by other students. Highly recommended.

By Yu

Jan 21, 2016

An amazing course, I really enjoyed it ..

very useful assignments .. opened my mind in different ways

would have loved references or so ..

By Joseph F

Aug 12, 2018

I wish this class had more actual lessons on character design concepts and philosophies rather than the demonstrations it used.

By Naila Z W

Jun 2, 2020

Pretty good notes given by 2nd and 3rd lecturer, first dude needs to actually plan what hes gonna say

By E. C C

Aug 14, 2017

Nice use of iteration to push your ideas of who or what a character should or could look like.

By Ginevra F L A

Apr 20, 2016

I learned a lot from the teacher, and the guests gave useful insight into the industry

By Juan D M

Jun 23, 2016

One of my favorite ones up to now, long and interesting classes with amazing artists.

By David T S

Nov 21, 2020

It was a short and fun course. Got me to practice thinking more creatively

By Stelios V

Apr 19, 2020

Anyone interested in character design and its basics will find this useful

By Emilio M

Feb 16, 2016

I liked the talks a lot but didnt expect to be forced to draw :)

By Sergio P

Jul 30, 2019

Grades were complicated to get (due to few people taking it)

Sep 8, 2016

Interesting course overall ! Suitable for beginners.

By Zheng L

Jul 22, 2018

lectures are knowledgable, homework are interesting

By Tarun p

May 16, 2020

best for the beginners in character design

By Lin J

May 22, 2016

This course is quite enjoyable and useful.

By Julian A

Nov 26, 2018

There's effort placed in this course.

By Alyson D

Apr 2, 2017

Suporte de legendas em mais idiomas