Back to Game Design and Development 2: 2D Platformer

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Game Design and Development 2: 2D Platformer by Michigan State University

If you love games and want to learn how to make them, then this course is your second step down that path. In this course you will learn the fundamentals of game design, including an understanding of the game world, storytelling, gameplay, user experience, and game technology. You will continue developing videogames using industry standard game development tools, including the Unity game engine. At the end of the course you will have completed a 2D Platformer game, and will be able to leverage an array of game development techniques to create your own basic games....

AT
Aug 7, 2021

Brilliant with humongous amount of information. But there are a few hiccups to which are notified to the Author.

RP
Apr 19, 2021

Absolutely love it, wish I could have realized Game development was my true calling years ago!

1 - 9 of 9 Reviews for Game Design and Development 2: 2D Platformer

By Frank P

Jul 17, 2021

This is a good follow-up course to 2D Shooter. As with the previous course, the project assignment encourages learners to be creative, yet the course does not teach learners enough skills to be creative. Be prepared to find other education materials in order to complete the project - although this is really not a big deal, since any learning is valuable. Keep in mind that you will still need to follow instructions by the same TA though the course's most important content.

By Muhammad F

Aug 8, 2021

I like the modification we need to make to the game, a lot of asset and script is prebuilt. The script is readable but I just wish more detail explanation for me. Overall this course teaches you to experiment but you need to find some of the specific part outside of the course.

By Alosh T

Aug 8, 2021

By Ryan P

Apr 19, 2021

By Сабирова А С

Aug 6, 2021

great teacher, I liked everything, great course

By David B

Mar 30, 2021

Helpful and progressive - but it is worth reading ahead a little in the final project - youn start it early but it isnt handed in til the end!

By ELYAS A

Jun 5, 2021

The course is good, I learned a lot, but the marking by the student sometimes become unfair.

By Joe Z

Sep 7, 2021

It was fun. I'm still super annoyed with how peer graded assignments are supposed to be objective, but people will review them subjectively. With only two peers reviewing something it can affect your grade if someone doesn't find your game "fun" or "it's too hard", or they just flat out mark your score wrong (like does it include a screen shot?, how does one get that wrong?)

There is no way to run that up the ladder and and have someone take a second look. Very annoying. Also following the tutorials left me able to repeat some of the actions, but didn't really know the "why" behind it. I had to watch other free youtube videos to get a better understanding, what I found was content that was easier to follow on youtube.

By Noah M

Oct 25, 2021

Week 1 of this course felt sort of overwhelming, it should be changed to week 3 as it sets the blueprint for Week 4. Also, I felt the instructor for week 1 went too fast when doing the tutorial. Weeks 2 and 3 dive deep into Game Technology and Storytelling. In my opinion, I think this course should break up the week 1 material and spread it out to the week 2 and week 3 material to make this course more balanced.