Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

TN
Apr 12, 2020

I really loved doing this course. Learnt how to make a simple game and make it really interesting! I loved how the easily the instructor was able to teach us and make us curious throughout the course.

DG
Feb 12, 2020

The lecture videos from Professor Fran and his old friend were surprisingly entertaining. Kudos to the team because they were able to make it fun, informative, and engaging throughout the four weeks.

226 - 250 of 686 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Néstor P Q

Aug 11, 2021

The best teacher I've ever had, it's really easy to understand the concepts and the homeworks are really fun

By Marcin G

Oct 4, 2017

Clean, funny, entertaining, very educative. What do we need more? :-) Thank you Fran Krause for this course!

By Sarah E

Apr 11, 2021

It was fun to create a board game and improve it with the other student´s help. :) I reccomend this course.

By Carol A S

Nov 1, 2020

creative, interesting, fun. easy to understand and to apply to the assignment as well as anytime we create!

By 叶成荫

Feb 26, 2017

good tutorial helps me understand some basic game design rules. The feedback system is pretty good as well.

By Leo S

Sep 30, 2018

Surprisingly fun, and once the idea training got rolling on the game and theme is became pretty engaging.

By Гореленко Е А

Mar 23, 2021

The course is very interesting. Allows you to create in different directions. I really liked the course.

By RAJEEVXAVIER S

Dec 6, 2020

This course made me more productive and I learnt that even simple assignments may have an greater impact

By Anamaria A C

Jul 28, 2020

Great Course. I loved all the aspects of it. This is my first Coursera course and I totally recommend it

By weigang z

Feb 1, 2017

Excellent course to establish basic concepts of game design. Assignments are very practical and helpful.

By SORALLO, B K (

Apr 18, 2021

I really enjoyed the course. It helped how to narrate my own game and expand my imagination. Thank you!

By Swapnil P

Oct 21, 2020

Amazing course. The instructor was very good at explaining. Never felt bored for even a single second.

By Mohammad M

Nov 12, 2017

A must have course if you want to make a game from scratch. Great information to make games really fun.

By John M T

Oct 21, 2021

Easy to learn, very entertaining way of learning, as if I'm watching the usual YouTube videos I watch.

By Brian L

May 25, 2017

It is a good intro to what it takes to design an actual game. The course isn't challenging and is fun.

By Trune F

Aug 11, 2020

Excellent instructor. Fran knows how to keep the subject matter interesting. Well organized criteria.

By JT

Jul 3, 2017

Instructor presents this course in a fun and interactive fashion - one of the best courses ive taken.

By Yibin W

Apr 6, 2017

I like the course. It is fun and interesting. I need to apply what we learnt to the game we designed.

By Alessandro

Dec 17, 2015

Fantastic course. Teach me some new things about game design and they stimulated my creativity.

Thanks

By Nadja C

Dec 7, 2015

Great course to give you a bit of an insight into game design and get you ready for the next courses.

By Harshawardhan C

May 29, 2021

This course is really well structured and this course has exposed me to the amazing world of gaming.

By Melody Z

Sep 17, 2019

I really enjoyed taking this course. This course is nicely put together, and I learned tremendously!

By Andrew R

Nov 17, 2016

Fran the Man! Great pacing, videos and projects. Feedback structure and online interface is strong!

By Harshita S

Dec 23, 2020

The instructor kept me very involved with the whole puppet thing - had a good laugh at some points.

By Sergey P

Oct 8, 2015

Great course which takes a little time per each week but gives much info for future game designers.