Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

TN
Apr 12, 2020

I really loved doing this course. Learnt how to make a simple game and make it really interesting! I loved how the easily the instructor was able to teach us and make us curious throughout the course.

DG
Feb 12, 2020

The lecture videos from Professor Fran and his old friend were surprisingly entertaining. Kudos to the team because they were able to make it fun, informative, and engaging throughout the four weeks.

76 - 100 of 572 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Varun N

Jun 13, 2020

The short, brief videos that explain the basics of game design in a very informative and humorous way made this course an absolute joy to learn. The fun assignments and extremely supportive peers made the course even better.

By Sarah P

Sep 27, 2015

I have been really enjoying this course! The professor is engaging in the videos and he explains things well. I also really like the assignments and the games are fun to make and review. I am learning a lot from this course!

By Матюшенко У А

Apr 19, 2020

Это было полезно и познавательно. Подача материала очень простая, но при этом я узнала много новых вещей о геймдизайне. Программирование в курсе не нужно! Вы просто знакомитесь с азами создания механики игры, ее нарратива.

By Aripov L

Sep 10, 2016

Only just pass, but I was very interested in since the first week! Fun and cute teacher and his puppet assistant! Everything taught is easy, with the mind and can quite understand even to those who don't know English.

By Sofia A M

Nov 16, 2016

The course is incredibly well done, the video lessons are great, the teacher is very good and the students are participative. The only thing that got a bit behind was a deepening, although the tasks were laborious.

By Daniel J C

Dec 3, 2015

I enjoyed the teacher. He made the class interesting. He introduced interesting concepts and made them enjoyable for the class. The class made me dabble in art which something I wish I could do more. Thank you!

By Thomas D

Oct 9, 2015

Good course, gets you thinking about the important things in Games - why we play them in the first place. Great teacher - mad as a hat! Kept things jovial and fun with good explanations in a professional course

By Xin P

Jan 3, 2016

Interesting course! Game design is a pretty important idea for my major and this course give me further insights into the topic and I get to know more about how to design a better game for my target audience!

By Samin M

Jun 30, 2020

It's a really good course to start with for anyone who wants to know how games work or wants to get into game development.Credit to everyone involved in the course for making it so interesting and insightful

By Herman B

Apr 25, 2020

This course allowed me to make the first step to doing the most important thing in being in the games industry; making games. Thanks to Prof Kruse and all the others for making the content engaging, and fun!

By Wallace N O

Jan 29, 2016

I was a big fan of the character design for video games course, and i thought i wouldn't like any other more than that... but i was wrong, i loved completing this course, and loved the result of my own game.

By Jahleel K B

Apr 13, 2017

I have learned a lot. Very simple and direct to the point lessons and assignments were very helpful to deeply understand each week's lesson. All the peers are very open and helpful as well. A+ community!

By Tahseen M N

Apr 13, 2020

By Marek J

May 20, 2019

Really liked the course - very important insights and excellent presentation of the content. By creating your own games and reviewing other actual games it's easier to learn teh content. Was fun, too!

By Josue B

Jun 15, 2020

It was helpful as it showed me several tricks and tips on how to create a story and properly balance a game. While also showing me see how other people could complete something with different ideas.

By Pedro A

Aug 7, 2016

This was a very enlightening course! I have played some games through my life, but now I have the knowledge of a person who studies to the develop my own game. I'll recommend it to all my friends.

By Mikael L G

Jul 2, 2016

Probably the best course I've studied at Coursera. Fran Krause makes this little trip incredibly enjoyable and fun yet still keeping it very educative and challenging.

Really loved this course!

By Victor A O S

Mar 9, 2017

this course is amazing the teacher is cool , funny and he explains the class in a really cool way with puppets and stuff and i learnd a lot and the best part of all is that it was fun

By Dolapo A

Oct 9, 2017

Excellent course.

Fran is such a good teacher. He addressed all my previous concerns regarding game design and explained the fundamental features in easy to approach and direct ways.

By Dana C

Nov 2, 2016

I really enjoyed the course. The assignments helped me think about games in new ways, and I developed several that I will be able to use with my high school language arts students.

By Aditya M B

Aug 4, 2019

It was a really informative course which helped me build up my fundamentals. The assignments were fun and interesting as well and the feedback received for them was very useful.

By Aaron O

Jun 30, 2019

This course is excellently presented, with a nice splash of humour. Great core concepts covered and the assignments really impart the importance of play testing and prototyping.

By Roshni F

Feb 24, 2017

This course is going to teach you techniques on how your Video Games can become popular,can reach a wide audience.It will also talk to you about the importance of Documentation.

By Francisco U

Sep 2, 2020

it was a wonderful experience, and learn about something I'm passionate about and was challenging to think a game that can really work and not just ideas of games i never make.

By Justin D

Nov 10, 2016

Awesome the teacher is funny and it's easy! Even if you don't know programming this will help you. it shows you the basic structures and how to make your own game!! It's Great!