Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

OO

Nov 07, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. It was a lot of fun designing and redesigning a game, as well as getting to play other people's games. I enjoyed the lectures and found the peer reviews very helpful.

YX

Dec 06, 2015

This course inspire me a lot. It is not easy, but with tons of fun. I spent a long time to think out the idea and make it and improve it. I did progress in gaming making as a fresh man. Thank you!

76 - 100 of 419 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Sergey P

Oct 08, 2015

Great course which takes a little time per each week but gives much info for future game designers.

By Sarah L

Nov 14, 2015

While it may seem basic to begin with, I found it a great course to lay the foundations for my own game design.

By Anthony S

Jul 04, 2016

I love this course. I love the videos and the assignments. I want to go to Cal Arts and actually take a real course. I would recommend anyone to take this course.

By Zacks

Nov 25, 2015

Interesting course. I've learnt a lot and met a lot of interesting games.

By Zoltán F

Dec 18, 2015

Interesting and playful journey through the first steps of game making. :)

Oct 19, 2015

The course is helpful as a game designer in trainee, the community is friendly, and the assignments are fun to do.

By Grace M

Feb 15, 2016

This course was very fun to take part in, the videos were enjoyable to watch, and the weekly projects were very fun to not only create, but to also critique.

By Emil E

Sep 29, 2015

Great !! I loved it

By asfan

Dec 13, 2016

this course open my mind about the creative thinking about game design

By Alejandro M G M

Sep 18, 2017

I loved it. It is a very fun and entertaining way to introduce people to the world of video game design. It is fun but at the same time you learn a lot. Thank you very much.

By Luis C P D l R

Dec 05, 2015

Great course!

By Karim

Feb 17, 2018

Very informative, productive and fun at the same time, well time spent !

By Gonzalo M

Dec 07, 2015

Great Introduction to the subject. Entertaining videos.

By Marina Z

Jul 31, 2016

I wasn't really interested in basic concepts of game design, but couldn't stop watching videos until the very end of the course! Blue pal is awesome! Also, I was glad that the assignments are open even for those who don't pay for course

By Arikleyton d O F

Oct 25, 2015

Great course!

By AnandVVN

Dec 08, 2015

Awesome course, informative and easy to understand, thank you

By Ahmad A

Oct 08, 2015

To become game designer, I must enroll and learn about this (y)

By Zhanna D

Oct 29, 2015

Adorable course!!! I have so much fun!!

Thank you for creating it.

By Andrey K

Oct 23, 2015

Really loved this course as it goes through basics of game design in an engaging and funny way.

By Savanna B

Apr 18, 2018

Fran is fun and helps put your mind at ease when having to do homework. I felt like it was okay to make mistakes and that i could have fun

By grace c

Dec 27, 2016

fun to follow along with the lectures, which I usually have a hard time with, I have difficulty concentrating, and this was easy to focus on for the most part. Very interesting, and creative instructor, and makes the lessons easy to understand, and not too technologically demanding

By Mikel D B

Apr 05, 2016

So far this course has been great, the lecturer is awesome and the videos are short enough to make you stay focused.