Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

OO

Nov 07, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. It was a lot of fun designing and redesigning a game, as well as getting to play other people's games. I enjoyed the lectures and found the peer reviews very helpful.

YX

Dec 06, 2015

This course inspire me a lot. It is not easy, but with tons of fun. I spent a long time to think out the idea and make it and improve it. I did progress in gaming making as a fresh man. Thank you!

101 - 125 of 419 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Patrick L

Oct 03, 2016

Really a very nice course, informative, clear, concise, and fun :)

By Klemen Š

Jan 15, 2016

Great and fun course. Alows you tobe very creative! LOVE IT!

By 罗杰

Apr 19, 2018

Simple course, but useful to me. I learn how to start game design by a correct direction.

By 王成昊

Sep 17, 2015

excellent

By Virginia M

Oct 24, 2015

Well structured lessons and basics concepts to learn. The course is absolutely accessible for everyone and all the concepts and words are perfectly explained with a lot of examples. Also mention that the spoken English is quite easy to understand, thanks to a good pronunciation and excellent pacing. In any case, you can enable the subs if you need them.

By Jen A

Sep 23, 2016

Very engaging presentations!

By Senala P

Jun 13, 2016

Amazing.

By Michael J

Mar 22, 2016

very useful for beginners, especially explaining fundamentals

By Phạm T

May 18, 2016

Great! I like this course. I hope I will complete it

By Hank

Oct 23, 2015

Excellent! The teacher is just so lovely.I love this guy and enjoy this couse!

By Herris

Apr 05, 2018

这真的是一个很棒的课程。视频制作得很棒,作业也安排得很合理。四周的时间,从基本的概念开始一点一点的完成一个游戏,感觉真是很棒。推荐给和我一样想要尝试游戏设计,但不知道从何下手的朋友。大家一定要认真完成作业,这门课程的效果非常依赖于你的作业。只要完成每周指定的任务就好,不用试着在作业里放下太多的东西(实际上这也会给你的同学造成麻烦)

By Xin P

Jan 04, 2016

Interesting course! Game design is a pretty important idea for my major and this course give me further insights into the topic and I get to know more about how to design a better game for my target audience!

By Marvin A

Apr 06, 2016

Excelente!!!

Recomendable al 100%

By Pablo S P

Jan 03, 2016

Amazing course, very enjoyable and useful! Frank is a great teacher!! :)

By Lana S

Dec 11, 2015

just started it and it's great! they make it so simple and appealing love it!

By Mohammad M

Nov 12, 2017

A must have course if you want to make a game from scratch. Great information to make games really fun.

By Alan S

May 14, 2016

Bastante interessante para pessoas que tem uma certa noção com jogos. O professor tem bastante habilidade em passar a informação e tem exercícios práticos.

By Umair R

Aug 08, 2016

Awesome for Learning Board Game Design

By Juan A d F

Feb 20, 2018

This course is the base of the desgin

By Karik J

Sep 25, 2015

OMG! Such a great oportunity to me, i'm a web programming studant, maybe some day!!

By Anatoliy S

Jan 21, 2016

Great beginning of GD specialization! Recommend!

By Asad U

Feb 02, 2018

WOW Course tbh. I learned a lot.

By Andres M

Sep 22, 2015

One of the best teacher i've ever have, i enjoy every minute of the video, love the "assistant teacher", i wish to be able to shake his hand some day.

By Ivan G

Nov 08, 2015

I really enjoyed taking the Introduction to Game Design course. Looking each week how other follow student's (including mine own) game designs was inspiring. A lot of creativity boost through simple ideas. Doesn't require any special/advanced skills.

By Fenja H

Feb 15, 2016

The videos are entertaining to watch and to develop a paper-based game as assignment isfun.