Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

OO

Nov 07, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. It was a lot of fun designing and redesigning a game, as well as getting to play other people's games. I enjoyed the lectures and found the peer reviews very helpful.

YX

Dec 06, 2015

This course inspire me a lot. It is not easy, but with tons of fun. I spent a long time to think out the idea and make it and improve it. I did progress in gaming making as a fresh man. Thank you!

201 - 225 of 417 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Brook

Jan 10, 2016

Captivating, clear, simple and informative. The professor does a phenomenal job introducing what makes a game fun.

By Moisés P

Sep 10, 2016

Great course, I have learned a lot and is really useful for references.

By Gianna K

Feb 20, 2016

This class was so much fun. It really taught me a lot about the basic fundamentals of game design and I learned so much from it in a fun and easy way.

By Anibal G

Apr 24, 2016

Awesome course! I learned a lot!

By Chris T

May 26, 2018

fun ;)

By Natalia K

Dec 29, 2016

Very informative and well-structured. Easy-to follow and enjoyable :)

By Bartosz G

Nov 01, 2015

it was great. THX U

By Jessica C

Oct 19, 2016

This is a fun and well done introductory course. The peer reviewed assignments are a great feature -very insightful comments and suggestions!

By Amanda W

Mar 22, 2016

Great introduction to game design. I love that it was very practical, and invited you to create

By Roshni F

Feb 24, 2017

This course is going to teach you techniques on how your Video Games can become popular,can reach a wide audience.It will also talk to you about the importance of Documentation.

By Zachary M

Nov 03, 2016

Best course available!

By 盛成成

Oct 15, 2017

nice

By Chomoi P

Jan 28, 2018

I found this challenging week one, but by the end I was flying. This course is brilliant and entertaining. You will really learn. A tip I found is submit your assignment early to get really helpful peer feedback. I wish I'd known that at the beginning. Good luck!

By Emily V R

Aug 06, 2017

Fran is one of the best teachers I've ever had! Thanks for making this a fun and easy to understand introductory course!

By Damanpreet S L

Jul 02, 2016

It was extremely helpful in giving the basic idea of creating a video game

By Justin D

Nov 10, 2016

Awesome the teacher is funny and it's easy! Even if you don't know programming this will help you. it shows you the basic structures and how to make your own game!! It's Great!

By 王浩宇

Nov 27, 2016

To learn your most favorite major is the best thing in the world, tanks for teach me what I most need in my life

By Sudharsan

Aug 05, 2017

I love this course best introduction and good lectures

By Derek C

Jul 27, 2017

Well crafted and hight entertainment educational.

By Christopher S

Mar 01, 2016

This course was a great start on the road to game design. The material was delivered in a fun and easy to understand manner. In the end, I was extremely excited and proud of the simple game I made. I would highly recommend this course as a starter for anyone looking to get into game design!

By Shiran I

Feb 07, 2016

I must admit that the thing that appealed to me foremost was the joy and humor that were used during the lessons. This made each lesson fun to watch.

By Dimitar V

Jan 21, 2016

This course made me see the basics of Game Design and what i need to know while designing my game for a single player or multiplayer. Good Job!

By Tata D

Jan 25, 2016

a wonderful teaching! Im so sad that cant study offline at this place with so interesting people

By 김수미