Back to The Science of Gastronomy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Science of Gastronomy by The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

This course introduces a number of basic scientific principles underpinning the methodology of cooking, food preparation and the enjoyment of food. All topics covered have a strong basis in biology, chemistry, and physics application. Among others, they include the consumption of cooked food, the physiological and evolutionary implication of the senses, geographic and cultural influences on food, and the rationale behind food preparation. We will also discuss issues such as coupling of senses to improve sense stimulation; altering flavor by chemical means; and modification of the coloration to improve the appearance of dishes. Following the video demonstrations of the scientific principles of cooking, you will learn to recognize the key ingredients and their combinations for preparing good healthy food. At the end of this course, you will be able to: - appreciate the scientific basis of various recipes; - develop your own recipes by integrating some of the scientific principles into new dishes; - recognize the influence of the material world on human perception from the different senses; - appreciate the art of integrating science into cooking and dining. Important Note: This course is not designed for people with special dietary needs such as vegetarian, diabetic, and gluten-free diets. If you feel uncomfortable with any part of the assignments or activities of this course, you can substitute some of the ingredients or ask friends and family members to help with the tasting of your assignments. Alternatively, you may skip that specific assignment provided that you have fulfilled all other qualifying requirement to pass the course. Course Overview video: https://youtu.be/H5vlaR0_X2I...

AS

Jul 08, 2018

Waiting for an extension to this course but at an advanced levelThis course is really valuable. It was presented in a simple and fun way I enjoyed studying with you thank you

AJ

Feb 24, 2019

there should be a digital certificate in PDF for those who can not pay because everybody does a lot of effort and time to finish this course

1 - 25 of 83 Reviews for The Science of Gastronomy

By Josiah P A

Nov 20, 2017

It was vary good gave me ideas on how to improve my cooking technique, and allowed me to use my imagination to make my dishes better!

By altin j

Feb 24, 2019

By Krishan K V

Mar 26, 2020

i have learnt a lot from this course, i hope this will help alot of students worldwide to learn.

By Lillian L

Jan 15, 2018

Great course. I learned a lot about food preparation and why we cook foods certain ways. The demonstrations were great and interesting. The instructors were very engaging and seemed excited about what they were teaching. The assignments were great in helping me to understand different things I learned in the lectures. I would highly recommend this course to anyone interested in food preparation.

By Julianty

Sep 20, 2017

Most interesting topic. Just what I have been looking for. A great subject, definitely recommended for everyone, not only those who loves food, but also to really everyone because eating is part of our daily life and this module really helps us to better understand what we consume, how it comes about and whether it is good or bad for us etc etc.

By Рожкова Е Е

Aug 11, 2016

Огромное спасибо за предоставленный курс! Это первый мой онлайн-курс в университетах мира. Я получила много полезной и интересной информации, мне очень понравились тесты-задания, которые я выполняла. Считаю, что курс "Наука Гастрономия" необходим и полезен, как для начинающего кулинара, так и уже специалиста в этой области.

By Angie M A S

Apr 05, 2019

This course is the gastronomy part behind all of the delicious dishes we eat every day, at least for the first week, which is the only one available now. It seems to me the course is really new in coursera, but that doesn't affect the experience in learning. Very good Chinese school and great teachers too.

Mar 01, 2019

I hope and wish If I can Get Certificate for that course :(

By Samar A

Apr 18, 2020

This course is amazing. I recommend everyone interested in cooking or studying in hospitality/ tourism degrees or even working in a restaurant environment to take this course and learn all the important techniques and the science behind the cooking process. I enjoyed this course very much

By Asta Š

Dec 22, 2016

I learnt more than I expected. However, there were quite a few moments that was boring to me, for example, those parts that included molecules chains in explanation of certain topics. Anyway, the chains was not in the final exam. Therefore, I rate this course as excellent.

By Anzala A M

May 14, 2019

really help me to find all the material that I need. especially in my country, where there are no formal education about gastronomy. strongly recommended for those who want to learn the principle and philosophy behind foods and cooking science, not practice skills.

By Josephine C U

Jan 21, 2019

I love cooking and know the science behind cooking makes me can respect more about cooking and can be more creative for my cooking. The lecturer also gives practical example so it is easy to understand. Worth to try and your time invested won't be wasted

By Sharon D

Aug 27, 2016

I thoroughly enjoyed this class. I learned many techniques. Practicing what we learned helped instill the reasons for each technique. I highly recommend this class for new Cooks and those that are striving to become professional Chefs.

By Fatema B

Oct 24, 2019

This was one of the most interesting subjects I have done so far.

The tutorials helped and taught me in abundance; they were very well explained and were focused on making one understand the science behind everything food related.

By Jean B

Sep 25, 2016

This course changes our perception of food and what good or delicious food means. It sheds light on the scientific aspects that makes up the culinary experience from the inception of a dish till the digestion of the food.

By Ingrid N R M

May 08, 2020

Thank you so much for the opportunity that you give me to complete this course and get my certificate with your financial support. I am so proud of this goal. I want to be a great professional and strengthen my skills.

By Jaime O Z

Apr 24, 2018

100% Recomendado. Didáctico, interesante, se va a los fundamentos de la gastronomía y permite saber mucho más de todo lo que es la ciencia involucrada en el proceso. Muy interesante.

By Afnan S

Jul 08, 2018

By Tamires G M

Apr 06, 2019

If you enjoy cooking and also enjoy chemistry, this course is ideal. It taught me many techniques in the kitchen and why the food changes during the cooking process.

By Guty P

Jan 08, 2020

This was a superb course! I learned a lot about food, a subject I definitely love and the assignments were actually fun to do. I really recommend this course!

By Jaime R G

Nov 18, 2019

Es un curso en el que se da un conocimiento general sobre la ciencia detrás de la cocina. Muy recomendable si quieres aprender sobre este tema, de verdad.

By Carlos I R V

May 08, 2020

¡Increíble y demostrativo! Es una forma facíl y practica de aprender los fenómenos que se efectúan en las cocinas de todo tipo

By Karina D

Dec 19, 2016

I liked this course very much. I get lots of interesting things. Will use them on my kitchen. Thank you!

By lebogang n 2

I have learned a lot from this course, it will most definitely help me with my current module at school

By Luisa s

Jan 05, 2020

muy buen curso para entender los fundamentos de los alimentos y nuestra interacción con ellos