Back to The Science of Gastronomy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Science of Gastronomy by The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

This course introduces a number of basic scientific principles underpinning the methodology of cooking, food preparation and the enjoyment of food. All topics covered have a strong basis in biology, chemistry, and physics application. Among others, they include the consumption of cooked food, the physiological and evolutionary implication of the senses, geographic and cultural influences on food, and the rationale behind food preparation. We will also discuss issues such as coupling of senses to improve sense stimulation; altering flavor by chemical means; and modification of the coloration to improve the appearance of dishes. Following the video demonstrations of the scientific principles of cooking, you will learn to recognize the key ingredients and their combinations for preparing good healthy food. At the end of this course, you will be able to: - appreciate the scientific basis of various recipes; - develop your own recipes by integrating some of the scientific principles into new dishes; - recognize the influence of the material world on human perception from the different senses; - appreciate the art of integrating science into cooking and dining. Important Note: This course is not designed for people with special dietary needs such as vegetarian, diabetic, and gluten-free diets. If you feel uncomfortable with any part of the assignments or activities of this course, you can substitute some of the ingredients or ask friends and family members to help with the tasting of your assignments. Alternatively, you may skip that specific assignment provided that you have fulfilled all other qualifying requirement to pass the course. Course Overview video: https://youtu.be/H5vlaR0_X2I...

SJ
Sep 28, 2020

Thank you very much Professor Chow and Professor Yeung as well as to your student assistants. I find the topics, demonstrations and assignments very interesting and useful in my profession.

AS
Jul 7, 2018

Waiting for an extension to this course but at an advanced levelThis course is really valuable. It was presented in a simple and fun way I enjoyed studying with you thank you

26 - 50 of 152 Reviews for The Science of Gastronomy

By Ingrid N R M

May 8, 2020

Thank you so much for the opportunity that you give me to complete this course and get my certificate with your financial support. I am so proud of this goal. I want to be a great professional and strengthen my skills.

By DAI J

Jun 4, 2021

Very easy to understand even for someone new to food science like me. Learn a lot about the basic science of how our body works to see taste smell taste hear and touch food and how cooking works.

By Jaime O Z

Apr 24, 2018

100% Recomendado. Didáctico, interesante, se va a los fundamentos de la gastronomía y permite saber mucho más de todo lo que es la ciencia involucrada en el proceso. Muy interesante.

By Afnan S

Jul 8, 2018

By farman a

Sep 12, 2020

Great course I learn many many things of this course I am chef

please also star some culinary course and food safety course for chefs

I really appreciate of this course

By Tamires G M

Apr 6, 2019

If you enjoy cooking and also enjoy chemistry, this course is ideal. It taught me many techniques in the kitchen and why the food changes during the cooking process.

By Guty P

Jan 8, 2020

This was a superb course! I learned a lot about food, a subject I definitely love and the assignments were actually fun to do. I really recommend this course!

By Jaime R G

Nov 18, 2019

Es un curso en el que se da un conocimiento general sobre la ciencia detrás de la cocina. Muy recomendable si quieres aprender sobre este tema, de verdad.

By Diana I F Z

Aug 27, 2020

Es un buen curso para cualquier persona que quiera aprender acerca de la química, la energía y los sentidos detrás de lo que comemos.

By Sehar A

Sep 22, 2020

It's just the right course for someone who is passionate about food and cooking .Also it gives a scientific aspect to cooking.

By Carlos I R V

May 7, 2020

¡Increíble y demostrativo! Es una forma facíl y practica de aprender los fenómenos que se efectúan en las cocinas de todo tipo

By Markovtseva N N

Aug 21, 2020

Я многое узнала из данного курса. Эта информация пригодится мне не только в профессии, но и в повседневной жизни

By Diana J I G

Aug 9, 2020

Very well extended. The course covers all topics about gastronomy in a very easy but scientific interesting way.

By Marcelo C S

Jul 19, 2020

This course was incredible. It made me understand some principles and the main functions of the ingredients.

By Karina D

Dec 19, 2016

I liked this course very much. I get lots of interesting things. Will use them on my kitchen. Thank you!

By JESSIL M

Sep 30, 2020

It was an amazing course... It helped me learn more about the food science... And the chemistry of food

By lebogang n 2

May 23, 2020

I have learned a lot from this course, it will most definitely help me with my current module at school

By Mbah M

May 14, 2021

the lecturers are good when it comes to explaining

the demonstrations are amazingly understandable.

By Luisa S

Jan 5, 2020

muy buen curso para entender los fundamentos de los alimentos y nuestra interacción con ellos

By lika p

Nov 29, 2020

Thank you all to create such an amazing course. It was very interesting and helpful for me.

By Michael D

Aug 2, 2020

A lot of fun and rewarding to review physiology, nutritional sciences, and other core work!

By GUPTA K S

Jun 15, 2020

very nicely design and demonstrated, very clear and with good culinary concepts, Thank you

By Abril M

Apr 7, 2019

Me gustó mucho, además del aprendizaje pude practicar mi inglés al escucharlo y entenderlo

By Fady

Feb 15, 2019

Excellent, i suggest all the workers in hospitality field to take that important course :)

By Maria E A

Aug 6, 2017

I have really enjoyed doing this course and I'm sure it will be useful in my workplace!